Experience the broadest portfolio of silicon solutions enabling a smarter grid
SAN DIEGO, – Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN), a global provider of secure, economical and future-proof smart grid semiconductor systems, is demonstrating a full spectrum of end-to-end solutions for grid infrastructure at DistribuTECH 2015. From grid monitoring to protection to communications, TI provides complete system designs including hardware, software and reference designs to help smart grid developers get to market quickly. For more information on TI's smart gird and energy offerings, visit www.ti.com/smartgrid.
Main highlights at DistribuTECH
DistribuTECH attendees can experience TI's Smart Grid and Energy solutions in booth 713 including the following key system demonstrations based on TI Designs reference designs:
• Analog front-end (AFE) for Merging Units and Multi-function Protection Relays: This solution addresses the front-end needs of merging units where measurement of multiple current and voltage channels are required. This implementation is modular, allowing easy expansion of channels while keeping the connectivity to the processor minimal by using the SPI daisy chain feature. All of this is made available in the16-bit, 8-channel, 500-kSPS ADS8688 successive approximation register (SAR) analog-to-digital converter (ADC) which offers a high level of integration. The ADS8688 includes high-voltage attenuation and level-shift circuitry for each channel and an integrated voltage reference with low temperature drift. In this solution, when two ADCs are connected in daisy chain mode, simultaneous sampling is also possible. Additionally, engineers can use the ADS8688 for broad protection and monitoring applications in generation, transmission and distribution of energy of the smart grid.
• Isolated Shunt-based Current Measurement: This isolated shunt-based current measurement design enables high accuracy current measurement without the need to use isolated current sensors such as the current transformers (CT). Analog signal isolation is achieved through the use of TI's AMC1304 delta-sigma modulator, which incorporates reinforced high-voltage isolation, as well as a high precision modulation. This solution eliminates the need for CT, instead uses shunt sensors, which helps designers decrease board size, reduce product weight and cost, mitigate cross talk and electromagnetic interference (EMI) in their system and eliminated the need for extensive calibration algorithms CT-based solutions need. Additionally, the AMC1304-based solution potentially increases product life through lower mechanical issues by using shunt current sensors.
For those unable to attend the show, download the following TI Designs reference designs to start developing today:
• Analog Front End design for Merging Unit and Protection Relay, TIDA-00307
• Isolated Shunt based Current Sensing Module, TIDA-00080 Getting started with TI's smart grid portfolio:
• TI's Smart Grid Energy solutions
• Find out more about TI's grid infrastructure solutions
• Learn how to use delta-sigma modulators for isolated high-voltage measurements
• Discover TI's power line communication solutions and TI Designs
• Read more about TI's smart metering solutions
• Smart grid TI E2E™ community and blog
TI's Smart Grid Energy solutions
With millions of energy meter ICs shipped over the past decade, Texas Instruments is the global systems provider for innovative, secure, economical and future-proof solutions for the worldwide smart grid. TI offers the industry's broadest smart grid portfolio of metrology expertise, application processors, communication systems, wireless connectivity and analog components in readily available silicon, with advanced software, tools and support for compliant solutions in grid infrastructure, utility metering and home or building automation. Learn more at www.ti.com/smartgrid.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
SOURCE Texas Instruments
Golin (972) 341-2551
Web Site: http://www.ti.com