In 2008 the ISO/DIS 26623 standard was created for ‘Polygon taper interface with flange contact surface’ to secure the original design of Coromant Capto – this covered flange sizes 32 to 80 (C3 through to C8). In July 2013 the ISO committee agreed to add polygon shank size 100 (C10) to the existing standard.
Coromant Capto is developed to cover 3 distinct application areas:-
• Integrated spindle for automatic tool change – providing stability and rigidity due to unrivalled bending stiffness and torque transmission
- Turn-Mill machines, Vertical Lathes and Machining Centers
• Quick Change for manual tool change - providing increased machine utilization through shorter set up time
- Turning Centers, Flat Bed Lathes and Vertical Lathes
• Modular assemblies - providing flexibility without loss of stability or accuracy
- Machining centers with HSK or steep taper (ISO, MAS-BT, CAT-V) spindle
Coromant Capto C10 adds a new dimension, with a spindle clamping force of 70kN and flange diameter of 100mm the bending stiffness is greater than HSK-A 100 and steep taper size 50 (on a par with HSK-A 125). The benefits are that longer tools can be used with less risk of vibration whilst maintaining the same spindle dimensions as for HSK-A 100. As components become more demanding and machines increase in multi-functional capability the demand to have stable machining with long assemblies will be adopted on Turn-Mill, Mill-Turn, Vertical Lathes as well as heavy duty Machining Centers.
About Sandvik Coromant
Sandvik Coromant is a global leading supplier of cutting tools, tooling solutions and know-how to the metalworking industry. With extensive investments in research and development we create unique innovations and set new productivity standards together with our customers. These include the world's major automotive, aerospace and energy industries. Sandvik Coromant has 8,000 employees and is represented in 130 countries. We are part of the business area Sandvik Machining Solutions within the global industrial group Sandvik.
Contact details for editorial inquiries:
Contact: Steffen Sander