New RE01B Microcontroller Comes with On-Chip Energy Harvesting Control Circuit
Press Release Summary:
- Features Arm Cortex®-M0+ core with maximum operating frequency of 64 MHz
- Supports Bluetooth 5.0 with long range (up to 400 m) and high data throughput (2 Mbps)
- Operates in voltage range from 1.62 V to 3.6 V with high-speed operation of up to 64 MHz
Original Press Release:
Renesas Adds Bluetooth 5.0 to Ultra-Low Power RE Family for Battery Maintenance-Free IoT Devices
New RE01B MCU Simplifies Software Updates and Data Transfers for IoT Devices Powered by Energy Harvesting
TOKYO, Japan, March 25, 2021 ― Renesas Electronics Corporation (TSE:6723), a premier supplier of advanced semiconductor solutions, today introduced the RE01B microcontroller (MCU) with Bluetooth® 5.0 support, expanding its RE Family of 32-bit ultra-low power consumption MCUs. Developed using Renesas’ breakthrough SOTB™ (Silicon on Thin Buried Oxide) process technology, the new Bluetooth-capable RE01B MCU is ideal for energy harvesting systems and intelligent IoT devices that need to operate constantly at extremely low power levels without the need to replace or recharge batteries. The RE01B MCU makes it easier to implement regular data management and firmware updates over Bluetooth while maintaining ultra-low power consumption, and extending the battery life. Applications include compact healthcare devices such as pulse oximeters and biomedical sensor patches; remote controls with voice recognition capabilities and smart meter modules. In addition, the RE01B is well suited for IoT devices that require constant operation, period data collection and updates, such as devices for monitoring the elderly, children or assets in transit.
“Managing battery maintenance and replacement is one crucial hurdle ahead of the widespread adoption of ultra-low-power IoT devices that are expected to run for long periods with limited or no maintenance,” said Shigeki Kato, Vice President of the Enterprise Infrastructure Business Division at Renesas. “I am excited that the addition of the new Bluetooth-capable RE MCU will remove the needs for battery maintenance in a broader range of systems, and meet the needs of IoT system manufacturers.”
Built around the Arm® Cortex®-M0+ core, the RE01B based on Renesas’ proprietary SOTB process technology operates at a maximum operating frequency of 64 MHz and achieves current consumption as low as 35 µA/MHz during operation and 600 nA during standby, among the lowest in the industry for a Bluetooth-capable MCU. In addition, the RE01B can be combined with Renesas’ ISL9123 ultra-low Iq DC/DC converter, configured as an external step-down regulator, to reduce current consumption during operation down to 15 µA/MHz for even better power efficiency.
Key features of the RE01B
- Arm Cortex®-M0+ core with maximum operating frequency of 64 MHz
- Support for Bluetooth 5.0 Long Range (up to 400 m) and high data throughput (2 Mbps)
- Ultra-low current consumption of 35 µA/MHz (using internal LDO) or 15 µA/MHz (using DC/DC converter) during operation and 600 nA (core: 500 nA, Bluetooth: 100 nA) during standby
- Superior peak current of 3.0 mA (1Mbps) during Bluetooth reception and 4.3 mA during transmission (0 dBm, 1Mbps)
- 1.5 MB flash memory and 256 KB SRAM with Bluetooth functionality, suitable for over-the-air (OTA) firmware updating
- Operating voltage range: 1.62 V to 3.6 V with high-speed operation of up to 64 MHz across all operating frequency range
- 64-pin QFN package measuring 8 mm x 8 mm
- On-chip energy harvesting control circuit (rapid startup capacitor charging and secondary battery charge protection functionality) allows users to achieve battery-less Bluetooth communication. Energy harvesting and power storage can be directly connected to the RE01B.
- On-chip 14-bit A/D converter with ultralow power consumption of approximately 4 µA
- Ability to program flash memory with current of approximately 0.6 mA
- Robust security functions using Trusted Secure IP
- Available APIs conforming to various standard protocols, such as Heart Rate Profile (HRP), Environment Sensing Profile (ESP), and Automation I/O Profile (AIOP), in addition to Bluetooth 5.0 protocol stack
RE Family Development Environment
Renesas offers several development tools for the RE Family, including a QE for BLE, which generates programs for custom Bluetooth profiles that can then be integrated into the user’s own application programs, and a Bluetooth Test Tool Suite, which provides a GUI that allows users to perform initial wireless characteristics evaluations and Bluetooth functionality verification.
The RE01B will be combined with Renesas’ complementary analog and power offerings to create comprehensive solutions for a variety of applications. These “Winning Combinations” showcase the breadth and depth of Renesas’ product line-up. Applications include reference designs utilizing the RE Family such as Wearable Devices with the RE01 32-Bit MCU and the Low Power Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) Tracking Solution, which is ideal to track the movements of persons, animals or assets.
The RE01B is available now. For more information, visit: https://www.renesas.com/re01b
The EB-RE01B evaluation kit from Tessera Technology Inc. is available now. Customers can use the kit to evaluate all the peripheral functions of the RE01B, including the energy harvesting system.
About Renesas Electronics Corporation
Renesas Electronics Corporation (TSE: 6723) delivers trusted embedded design innovation with complete semiconductor solutions that enable billions of connected, intelligent devices to enhance the way people work and live. A global leader in microcontrollers, analog, power, and SoC products, Renesas provides comprehensive solutions for a broad range of automotive, industrial, infrastructure, and IoT applications that help shape a limitless future. Learn more at renesas.com. Follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
Renesas Electronics Corporation