New Wireless Innovations Extend Wi-Fi Media Experience to Broader Range of CE Devices
· Broadcom wireless innovations enable Wi-Fi as the connectivity backbone for in-home media distribution
· New CE combo chip provides high bandwidth Wi-Fi for high quality video streaming and Bluetooth 4.0 for voice commands and gestural remotes
· Wireless media dongle design brings Wi-Fi Display to any HDTV for real-time streaming of video from mobile devices to the big screen
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today unveiled two new solutions that will enable a consumer video experience that spans mobile devices, smart TVs and other consumer electronics (CE). The new products include Broadcom's first combo chip optimized to add dual-stream, dual-band Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity to CE devices and an integrated wireless dongle design that will bring Wi-Fi Display (now called Wi-Fi Miracast) to existing digital TVs and media boxes. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
With wireless connectivity attach rates in smart TVs, set-top boxes, streaming media boxes and other products expected to grow to almost 50% over the next four years, Wi-Fi will increasingly become a primary channel by which video and other media reach the CE device. Similarly, smartphones and other mobile devices have become important platforms for viewing digital content and now occupy an important role in how people access and enjoy media.
Combo Chip Optimized for CE
The new Broadcom® BCM43242 features advanced dual-band multiple input, multiple output (MIMO) Wi-Fi technology to enable integrated video streaming and over-the-top capabilities in CE devices. The BCM43242 also includes dual-stream technology, supporting features such as advanced error correction and an innovative capability to support simultaneous Wi-Fi connections to two devices, allowing a smart TV to simultaneously access Internet content and stream high-bandwidth video from a smartphone, tablet or PC. The chip can also enable peer-to-peer transmissions in the 5 GHz band, with more spectrum and less congestion in that frequency range allowing better quality video streaming and smartphone-to-TV video sharing.
With integrated Bluetooth 4.0, the new combo device will enable CE products to use advanced remotes, game controllers, stereo headphones, keyboards, 3D glasses and other interface devices. Broadcom Bluetooth also features the ability to stream audio to home stereos, enable voice recognition in remote controls and connect smartphones and other devices to the CE ecosystem, driving innovation in user interface development. The BCM43242 includes Broadcom's best-in-class InConcert co-existence technology - with key optimizations for DTV use cases - that enables uninterrupted Bluetooth connectivity while maintaining high Wi-Fi throughput.
This level of integration enables a complete, cost effective wireless subsystem for digital TV platforms.
Wi-Fi Display Dongle
Broadcom's new wireless dongle design features the proven capabilities of the BCM43236 dual-band Wi-Fi chip and the low power, high performance BCM2835 VideoCore® media processor, enabling cost-effective adapter products that easily add Wi-Fi Display capabilities to existing CE devices with an HDMI port. The ability to conveniently use the larger screens of digital televisions for viewing content is driving adoption of Wi-Fi Display, which couples Wi-Fi and video encoding technology to allow the consumer to seamlessly move the mobile user interface from a small screen to a bigger display while maintaining control via the mobile's touch screen.
Broadcom's new dongle platform features its best-in-class Wi-Fi solutions, which have been designed to support zero packet loss, minimize latency for interactive use cases and mitigate interference while maximizing screen resolution and picture quality. These advantages make Broadcom Wi-Fi technology particularly well suited for Wi-Fi Display applications, where latency and packet loss can degrade the user experience. Broadcom's VideoCore processing technology enables vivid graphics and HD video playback with minimal power consumption.
Further driving adoption and use of Wi-Fi Display, Broadcom has integrated support for the technology into several of its key smartphone platforms, including its BCM28155 3G HSPA+ dual-core SoC. In addition, handsets based on Broadcom smartphone platforms that include the BCM4334 smartphone combo chip will also be able to offer these media streaming capabilities. Wi-Fi Display support is also planned for all future Broadcom dual-core smartphone platforms.
BCM43242 Key Features:
· 802.11n 2x2 MIMO technology uses dual transmitters and receivers toboost data rates and enable 70% greater range at high-speed than single stream Wi-Fi.
· Advanced Virtual Simultaneous Dual Band (VSDB) functionality enables peer-to-peer and access point connectivity at the same time.
· First to combine MIMO Wi-Fi with Bluetooth 4.0 on a monolithic SoC for CE applications.
· Bluetooth 4.0 includes advanced software features to support low power peripherals and provide superior 3D glasses synchronization.
· Includes key interfaces for CE applications, including USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 for easier integration with existing DTV and CE platforms.
· Delivers proven Bluetooth / Wi-Fi coexistence features to CE devices for unparalleled user experience when the two technologies share the 2.4GHz band.
· Integrated RF power amplifiers (PAs) accommodating both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequency bands eliminate the need for external PAs, reducing bill of materials (BOM) cost.
· Other advanced features include antenna diversity, LDPC, STBC and "fast channel switch" that enables the use of two radio channels simultaneously.
Wi-Fi Display Dongle Features:
· Ultra low-power dual-band, dual-stream media dongle solution with simplified connectivity.
· Compatible with Wi-Fi Display v1.40 or later compliant devices and compliance with Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Miracast, when available.
· Supports ultra low latency performance when Broadcom technology is used at both ends of the connection, defaulting to standards-compliant latency in mixed environments.
·Integrated USB 2.0 interface allows dongle to be self-powered by USB rather than an AC wall plug adapter, reducing cost and design complexity.
· Video processing supports 720p and 1080p HD video.
· Complete turnkey software solution and design files enable rapid time to market for end-user products.
The BCM43242 is now sampling to Broadcom's early access customers, with full production expected in Q4 2012. Broadcom's integrated Wi-Fi Display dongle design is also sampling to customers, with the BCM43236 Wi-Fi chip and BCM2835 media processor shipping in production quantities.
For ongoing news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom, read the B-Connected Blog, or visit Facebook or Twitter. And to stay connected, subscribe to Broadcom's RSS Feed.
Peter Cooney, Practice Director - Semiconductors, ABI Research
"Over the top video, wireless display applications, advanced remote controls and 3D glasses are some of the innovative applications that wireless connectivity is enabling in the living room, providing ever more opportunities for involving and engaging the end user. With its complete Wi-Fi Display dongle design, Broadcom will help drive use of this innovative technology today while its new combo device makes these capabilities more available in next-generation products."
Michael Hurlston, Sr. Vice President & General Manager, Wireless Connectivity Combo business unit
"The size, performance and time-to-market advantage that Broadcom combo chips provide have driven the dramatic growth of smartphones and the ubiquitous adoption of WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity worldwide. With the introduction of our new combo products optimized for the CE market, we are driving a similar revolution in the digital home and extending the connection to the mobile world. Combined with our Wi-Fi Display dongle solution, Broadcom delivers an end-to-end portfolio that enables seamless sharing of video content to and from any platform."
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Susan Vander May
Sr. Manager, Public Relations (MWG)
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; Broadcom Mobile and Wireless
Web Site: www.broadcom.com