Press Release Summary:
- Employs latest application-aware data placement methods with large SCM write buffer
- Embedded with Global Erasure Codes and new form of data reduction that is global and byte-granular
- Utilizes patterns of data similarity across global namespace at level of granularity that is 4,000 to 128,000 times smaller than deduplication approaches
Original Press Release:
VAST Data Unveils Its Universal Storage Architecture to Bring an End to the Enterprise HDD and Storage Tiering Era
Company Emerges from Stealth-Mode With $80 Million in Funding
New Architecture Breaks Decades of Storage Tradeoffs by Combining the Performance of Flash with Unprecedented Scale and Economics to Simplify the Data Center and Unleash Insights
NEW YORK, Feb. 26, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- VAST Data today announced its new storage architecture intended on breaking decades of tradeoffs to eliminate infrastructure complexity and application bottlenecks. VAST’s exabyte-scale Universal Storage system is built entirely from high-performance flash media and features several breakthrough innovations that result in a total cost of acquisition that is equivalent to hard drive based archive systems. Enterprises can now consolidate applications onto a single tier of storage that meets the performance needs of the most demanding workloads, is scalable enough to manage all of a customer’s data and is affordable enough that it eliminates the need for storage tiering and archiving.
As part of the launch, VAST Data announced it has raised $80M of funding in two rounds, backed by Norwest Venture Partners, Dell Technologies Capital, 83 North, Goldman Sachs and a TPG Growth-sponsored investment platform. The announcement of this funding comes on the heels of VAST completing its first quarter of operation where it has experienced historic customer adoption and product sales. Since releasing the product for General Availability in November of 2018, VAST’s bookings have significantly outpaced the fastest growing enterprise technology companies in history.
“Storage has always been complicated. Organizations for decades have been dealing with a complex pyramid of technologies that force some tradeoff between performance and capacity,” said Renen Hallak, founder & CEO of VAST Data. “VAST Data was founded to break this and many other long-standing tradeoffs. By applying new thinking to many of the toughest problems, we are working to simplify how customers store and access vast reserves of data in real time, leading to insights that were not possible before.”
The Birth of Universal Storage
VAST Data invented a new type of storage architecture from the ground up to exploit technologies such as NVMe over fabrics, Storage Class Memory (SCM) and low-cost QLC flash, that weren’t available until 2018. The result is an exabyte-scale, all-NVMe flash, disaggregated shared-everything (DASE) architecture that breaks from the idea that scalable storage needs to be built as shared-nothing clusters. This architecture enables global algorithms that deliver game-changing levels of storage efficiency and system resilience. Some of the significant breakthroughs of VAST’s Universal Storage platform include:
- Exabyte-Scale, 100 Percent Persistent Global Namespace: Each server has access to all of the media in the cluster, eliminating the need for expensive DRAM-based acceleration or HDD tiering, ensuring that every read and write is serviced by fast NVMe media. Servers are loosely coupled in the VAST architecture and can scale to near-infinite numbers because they don’t need to coordinate I/O with each other. They are also not encumbered by any cluster cross-talk that is often challenging to shared-nothing architectures. VAST servers can be containerized and embedded into application servers to bring NVMe over Fabrics performance to every host.
- Global QLC Flash Translation: The VAST DASE architecture is optimized for the unique and challenging way that new low-cost, low-endurance QLC media must be written to. By employing new application-aware data placement methods in conjunction with a large SCM write buffer, VAST’s Universal Storage can extract unnaturally high levels of longevity from low-endurance QLC flash and enable low-cost flash systems to be deployed for over 10 years.
- Global Data Protection: VAST’s new Global Erasure Codes have broken an age-old tradeoff between the cost of data protection and a system’s resilience. With VAST’s breakthrough work on data protection algorithms, storage gets more resilient as clusters grow while data protection overhead is as low as just two percent (compared to 33 to 66 percent for traditional systems).
- Similarity-Based Data Reduction: VAST has invented a new form of data reduction that is both global and byte-granular. The system discovers and exploits patterns of data similarity across a global namespace at a level of granularity that is 4,000 to 128,000 times smaller than today’s deduplication approaches. The net result is a system that realizes dramatic efficiency advantages on unstructured data, structured data and backup data without compromising the access speeds that customers expect from all-NVMe flash technology.
There are three ways that customers can deploy VAST Data’s Universal Storage platform: a turnkey server and storage cluster appliance, storage plus VAST container software that runs on customer machines, or software only. Whatever the deployment model, customers enjoy significant benefits from VAST’s synthesis of storage innovations, including:
- Flash Performance at Hard Disk Cost: All applications, from artificial intelligence to backup, can be served by flash, increasing performance without increasing the cost of capacity.
- Massive Scalability: Customers no longer need to move and manage their data across a complicated collection of storage systems. Everything can be available from a single ‘source of truth’ in real-time. VAST’s Universal Storage is easier to manage and administer, and becomes more reliable and efficient as it scales.
- New Insights: With this increased flexibility and scalability, there are new opportunities to analyze and achieve insights from vast reserves of data.
- A Data Center in a Rack: Customers can now house dozens of petabytes in a single rack, providing significant reductions in the amount of floor space, power and cooling needed.
- 10-Year Investment Protection: With VAST Data’s 10-year endurance warranty, customers can now deploy QLC flash with peace of mind. VAST’s DASE architecture enables better investment amortization than legacy HDD architectures which need to be replaced every three to five years, while also eliminating the need to perform complex data migrations.
For more information on the vision and technology behind VAST’s data storage breakthroughs, please visit www.vastdata.com. VAST Data will also be hosting a Storage Field Day session on Wednesday, February 27 from 1-3 p.m. PST. Those interested in the session can join virtually at https://techfieldday.com/appearance/vast-data-presents-at-storage-field-day-18/.
Austin Che, Founder, Ginkgo Bioworks
“Ginkgo Bioworks designs custom microbes for a wide variety of industries using our automated biological foundry. Our mission to make biology easier to engineer is enabled by VAST Data making storage easy. Our output is exponentially increasing along with decreasing unit costs so we are always looking for new technologies that enable us to increase output and reduce cost. VAST Data provides Ginkgo the potential to ride the declining cost curve of flash while also providing near-infinite scale.”
Yogesh Khanna, SVP and CTO of General Dynamics Information Technology (GDIT)
“Our work with VAST Data provides an opportunity for General Dynamics customers to utilize the vision of an all-flash data center with deep analytics for large quantities of data. GDIT is already delivering multi-petabyte VAST Universal Storage systems to customers who are eager to move beyond the HDD era and accelerate access to their data.”
Eyal Toledano, CTO, Zebra Medical Vision
“Zebra is transforming patient care and radiology with the power of AI. To achieve our mission, our GPU infrastructure needs high-speed accelerated file access to shared storage that is faster than what traditional scale out file systems can deliver. That said - we’re also a fast-growing company and we don’t have the resources to become HPC storage technicians. VAST provides Zebra a solution to all of our A.I. storage challenges by delivering performance superior to what is possible with traditional NAS while also providing a simple, scalable appliance that requires no effort to deploy and manage.”
About VAST Data
Headquartered in New York City, VAST Data is a storage company breaking decades-old storage tradeoffs to bring an end to complex storage tiering and HDD usage in the enterprise. With VAST, customers can now consolidate applications onto a single tier of storage that meets the performance needs of the most demanding workloads, is scalable enough to manage all of a customer’s data and is affordable enough that it eliminates the need for complex storage tiering and archiving of data to slow storage systems. For more information, please visit https://www.vastdata.com/ and follow @VAST_Data on Twitter.
Highwire PR for VAST Data