Ticona, the engineering polymers business of Celanese Corporation, is showcasing fiber reinforced material innovations to reduce weight and save costs during the ITB Group Automotive Mass Reduction Strategies 2012 conference on Thursday, May 2, at the Sheraton Detroit Novi Hotel in Michigan.
Ticona will highlight:
• Celstran® continuous fiber reinforced thermoplastics (CFR-TP) tapes, rods and profiles for highly stressed automotive components
• Celstran® long fiber reinforced thermoplastics (LFRT) for weight reduction and parts/component integration applications
In addition, Ticona will co-present a technical paper at 5 p.m.:
• "Comparison of Energy Absorption Characteristics for Thermoplastic Composites, Steel, Aluminum, & Hybrids in High-Speed Crush Testing Of U-Beams," co-presented by Dan Fuller of Ticona; and Dr. Geraint Williams, Neil Reynolds and Darren Hughes of the University of Warwick – International Manufacturing Centre in the United Kingdom.
The presentation will evaluate energy-absorption characteristics of an automotive-type U-beam structure in high-speed crush testing. A variety of thermoplastic composites, metals and metal/plastic hybrids were compared. Study parameters and results will be discussed, as well as future work that might be considered based on the interesting outcomes seen in the initial study.
The Ticona portfolio of high-performance engineering polymers for automotive weight reduction, as well as fuel system, electronic, energy storage, powertrain and thermal management applications, also includes:
• Factor® and Compel® LFRT
• Celanex® thermoplastic polyester (PBT)
• Fortron® polyphenylene sulfide (PPS)
• GUR® ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMW-PE)
• Hostaform® / Celcon® acetal copolymer (POM)
• Thermx® polycyclohexylene dimethylene terephthalate (PCT)
• Vectra® / Zenite® liquid crystal polymer (LCP)
Ticona encourages you to visit the Automotive and Transportation section of its website. Read how Ticona engineering polymers offer a spectrum of advanced properties that are helping automotive original equipment manufacturers and tier suppliers improve quality while reducing weight and lowering production costs.