Press Release Summary:
Model 2502 Fiber Alignment Photodiode meter combines laser diode fiber alignment and light-current-voltage (LIV) characterization, used in manufacturing of laser diode modules (LDMs). Instrument lets manufacturers perform both operations on same test stand, improving productivity. Built-in picoammeter can measure photo current through LDM's back detector or optical power from laser diode in conjunction with user-selected optical test head.
Original Press Release:
New Opto Test Instrument Combines Fiber Alignment And LIV Testing For Faster Production Of Laser Diode Modules
CLEVELAND-March 26, 2002-Keithley Instruments, Inc. (NYSE:KEI) today introduced the latest addition to its family of LIV products, the Model 2502 Fiber Alignment Photodiode Meter. The Model 2502 combines the steps of laser diode fiber alignment and light-current-voltage (LIV) characterization, both of which are crucial to the manufacturing of laser diode modules (LDMs). During manufacture, a short length of optical fiber is aligned and permanently attached to the front facet of the laser diode to provide a convenient optical connection to fiberoptic networks. When fiber alignment is coupled with LIV measurements, manufacturers can perform both operations on the same test stand, eliminating a production bottleneck and greatly improving the throughput of this manufacturing phase.
The Model 2502 Fiber Alignment Photodiode Meter provides large and small LDM manufacturers, researchers, OEMs, and system integrators with the sensitive source-measure capability needed for precise excitation, high speed LIV measurements, and repeatable performance. The instrument combines these capabilities with analog feedback required by the fiber alignment process. This analog output can drive fiber micro- positioning systems at speeds 2x to 10x faster than other solutions through the use of early beam skirt detection, wide dynamic operating range, and programming flexibility:
- A wide dynamic range minimizes the number of range changes required during the alignment routine.
- The built-in picoammeter draws upon Keithley's industry leadership in low-level measurement technology to resolve currents as low as ten femtoamps, an order of magnitude better than competing units. This sensitivity supports more precise "dark current" measurement, which provides for more accurate LDM characterization.
- The Model 2502 supports greater measurement flexibility than traditional LDM test instruments. The picoammeter can precisely measure photo current through the LDM's back detector or optical power from the laser diode in conjunction with a user-selected optical test head. The user can input photodetector calibration constants to the Model 2502 for direct conversion of current to optical power in watts.
- The Model 2502 includes a built-in +/-10V/+/-100V voltage bias source that offers the extended range needed to power a wide variety of photodetectors, including popular large-area and avalanche types. Comparable instruments are either limited in voltage range or lack a voltage source altogether.
- Each of the Model 2502's two channels can be used as a separate, complete source/measure unit or they can be used together to measure additional parameters, such as coupling efficiency between a laser diode module and the pig-tailed fiber.
Applications and Markets. Laser diode modules are used in Internet, telecommunication, and computer applications to transmit voice and data over fiberoptic networks. End users for the Model 2502 include large and small LDM manufacturers who acquire their alignment/attachment systems from OEM suppliers, system integrators, or in-house integration resources. A Model 2502 can be purchased separately or included in Keithley's LIV Test System, which provides a complete, integrated hardware and software solution for laser diode module testing. For applications that don't require the integration of the fiber alignment and LIV measurement steps, Keithley offers the standard Model 2500 Dual Photodiode Meter.
Part of a Complete Optoelectronic Test and Measurement Solution. The Model 2502 is part of Keithley's growing line of instrumentation for LDM production testing. These include the Model 2500 Dual Photodiode Meter, Model 2400 SourceMeter(R) instrument, Model 2361 Trigger Control Module, Series 7000 Switch Mainframes, Model 2510 TEC SourceMeter(R) instrument, Model 7090 Optical Switching Card, and Model 2500INT Integrating Sphere. This array of instruments simplifies the assembly of a compact, single-vendor system that facilitates easier integration and programming. Keithley's low-level measurement expertise, multinational presence, and extensive product offerings ensure comprehensive, global support and service from an established supplier of integrated test and measurement solutions.
Software. Software drivers for LabVIEW(TM) and LabWindows(TM)/CVI are available with the Model 2502 for easier development of test programs using popular programming languages and test software packages. A Visual Basic demo program for Keithley's total LIV test system (including the Model 2500) is also available for use as a starting point. Built-in IEEE-488 and RS-232 interfaces provide compatibility with the most popular instrumentation control protocols.
Price and Availability. The Model 2502 is priced at $8495 USD. Delivery is four to five weeks after receipt of order. The Model 2502 is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for one year, and carries the CE mark.
For More Information. For more information on the Model 2502 Fiber Alignment Photodiode Meter or any of Keithley's test and measurement solutions, contact Keithley at:
E-mail: product email@example.com Internet: www.keithley.com
Address: Keithley Instruments, Inc.
28775 Aurora Road Cleveland, OH 44139-1891
About Keithley Instruments. Keithley Instruments, Inc. provides electrical, RF (radio frequency) and optical measurement solutions to the telecommunications, semiconductor, optoelectronics and other electronics manufacturing industries. Engineers and scientists around the world use Keithley's advanced hardware and software for process monitoring, production test and basic research.