Swisscom Mobile Deploys ArcSight to Detect Viruses and Malware

Network-based Countermeasures Protect Customers and Network

London, UK, 20 November 2006 - ArcSight, Inc., a global leader in Enterprise Security Management (ESM) software, today announced Swisscom Mobile, the leading mobile communications provider in Switzerland, has deployed ArcSight ESM to correlate and identify patterns within their wireless access infrastructure for the purposes of malware and virus detection.

Chosen as part of Swisscom Mobile's programme to provide monitoring and filters for mobile malware countermeasures, this deployment further solidifies Swisscom's position as an industry pioneer by offering customers the highest level of protection against viruses and malware. This solution is based on ArcSight's capabilities in identifying varying usage and data patterns. The risk of mobile viruses and malware has become significant. This development has led Swisscom Mobile to add new dimensions to its network security by leveraging ArcSight ESM.

"Mobile malware is becoming one of the largest single risks to mobile handsets, but our deployment of ArcSight ESM allows us to protect our customers and network," said Marcel Zumbühl, Head of Security, Swisscom Mobile. "The fact that we are among the first mobile operators with this type of solution to specifically target mobile malware reduces customer risk. The advanced event correlation provided by ArcSight ESM allows us to react in a timely fashion on new threats."

Prior to pioneering this implementation, the main challenge faced by Swisscom Mobile was to find robust software for malware detection that performed as a telco-grade solution. The ArcSight solution, together with project services from Genesis Communication, was chosen because of its scaleable and extensible architecture and its automatic pattern detection capabilities. It has the ability to support the largest number of disparate devices and the power to accommodate telco-grade traffic volumes from Swisscom Mobile's current customer base as well as allowing for future growth.

"As handset functionality increases and more mobile business applications emerge, threats previously seen in the IT world are beginning to come to the fore in telecoms networks, and downtime in this consumer led environment is simply not an option," said Iain Chidgey, Managing Director, EMEA, ArcSight. "Security of its customers and the network is of paramount importance to Swisscom Mobile. ArcSight's advanced correlation engine and pattern detection capabilities allowed Swisscom Mobile to be one of the first mobile operators with this type of early warning system, protecting its customers and their network from the costs brought by infection and the lost revenue caused by network downtime."

The acquisition and implementation of ArcSight's ESM software was managed through ArcSight's partner, Genesis Communication, Swiss-based specialists in providing innovative solutions for end-to-end monitoring and management of its customers IT security infrastructure and applications.

About ArcSight
ArcSight, a leader in Enterprise Security Management, provides solutions that serve as the mission control centre for real-time threat management, compliance reporting and automated network response. By comprehensively collecting, analysing and managing security data, ArcSight solutions centrally manage and mitigate information risk for security, insider threat and compliance. ArcSight's customer base includes leading global enterprises, government agencies and MSSPs.

ArcSight and the ArcSight logo are trademarks of ArcSight, Inc.

About Swisscom Mobile
With a market share of 62% of business in force and 69% of new customers in 2005, Swisscom Mobile is the market leader in the Swiss mobile communications sector. In fiscal year 2005, Swisscom Mobile generated net revenue of CHF 4,168 billion and now has more than 4.3 million NATEL subscribers. Swisscom Mobile is a public limited company with Swisscom Ltd holding a 75% stake and the Vodafone Group Plc the remaining 25%. The company operates a nationwide GSM network (900/1800 MHz), which was enhanced with EDGE in spring of 2005. With HSDPA, Swisscom Mobile is the first network carrier in Switzerland to roll out a turbo network. Launched in February of 2006, it is already about five times faster than a UMTS network. This means its speed is comparable to that of an ADSL connection. Already today, Swisscom Mobile provides coverage of around 90% of the populated area of Switzerland through its UMTS network as well as wireless LAN-Internet access through more than 1000 hotspots.

More from Materials

All Topics