SHANGHAI– n Protean Electric, the global leader of advanced in-wheel electric drive, today announces the Chinese debut of its production in-wheel motor and will showcase its in-wheel electric drive system on a BRABUS Hybrid vehicle at the Auto Shanghai 2013, Apr. 20-29 in Hall N5 booth C131.
The BRABUS Hybrid, based on the Mercedes-Benz E-Class, is powered by an internal combustion engine and two Protean electric drive motors, one in each of the rear wheels.
Protean's in-wheel electric drive system is an award-winning technology that is an integral part of a hybrid powertrain system when paired with a traditional internal combustion engine. It is also powerful enough to be the only source of traction drive in electric vehicles.
The motors reside in the space behind the wheel, producing torque and power exactly where and when drivers need it. Protean's new production motor provides a 25 percent increase in peak torque compared with the previous generation's design and can deliver 1,000 Nm (735 lb.-ft.) and 75 kW (100 hp).
"Protean Electric is ready to enable the global automobile industry as it moves to high volume, low cost hybrid and electric drive powertrains," said Bob Purcell, chairman and CEO of Protean Electric. "Our system can be applied to current vehicle platforms, retrofit existing vehicles or create all new architectures for the future."
Features of Protean's in-wheel motors include:
• Highest torque density of any of today's leading electric drive systems
• 75 kW (100 hp) peak power and 1,000 Nm (735 lb.-ft.) peak torque in each motor
• Mass of only 31 kg (68 lbs.) per motor
• Fuel economy improvements up to 30 percent in hybrid configurations, as compared to the existing vehicle, depending on battery size
• Superior regenerative braking capabilities, which allow up to 85 percent of the available kinetic energy to be recovered during braking To increase Protean's direct presence in China, Kwok-yin (KY) Chan has recently been named as vice president of Protean China. Protean Electric has established a new office in Putuo District, Shanghai in addition to its operations in United States, United Kingdom and Hong Kong.
Protean has been awarded 27 patents for its unique technology and design, with 84 additional international patent applications pending. Protean has won the prestigious 2012 Technology Pioneers Award from the World Economic Forum and received recognition from Car and Driver magazine as one of the ten most promising technologies for 2013.
Protean Electric has developed multiple demonstration vehicles, including a Vauxhall Vivaro cargo van, Guangzhou Automobile Industry Group (GAC) Trumpchi sedan, a Ford F150 pick-up truck, and a BRABUS full electric vehicle also based on the Mercedes-Benz E-Class.
For more information on Protean Electric, visit www.proteanelectric.com. For further details on Auto Shanghai 2013, visit www.autoshanghai.org.
Protean Electric is a leading clean technology company that designs, develops and manufactures the Protean Drive™, a fully integrated, in-wheel motor, direct-drive solution. Protean Electric is strategically positioned to play a major role in the hybrid and electric vehicle market by offering a combination of packaging advantages, new vehicle design opportunities, performance benefits and cost savings. Protean is funded by Oak Investment Partners, GSR Ventures and Jiangsu New Times Holding Group. Protean Electric has operations in the United States, United Kingdom, China and Hong Kong. For more information, visit www.proteanelectric.com.
Media relations on behalf of Protean Electric
SOURCE Protean Electric
Web Site: http://www.proteanelectric.com