Press Release Summary:
BelAir100LP LTE Picocell combines LTE and dual 802.11n Wi-Fi radios with chip-based beamforming. Powered via AC, DC, or cable plant, product has internal array beam steering antennas that work in conjunction with chip-based beamforming to optimize throughput. Virtual AP capabilities enable multiple operators to share common wireless network infrastructure. Unit can be poll- or wall-mounted, or strand-mounted via aerial, pedestal, cabinet, or vault hybrid fiber coax infrastructure.
Original Press Release:
BelAir Networks New Small Cell Base Station Combines LTE and Wi-Fi to Address Ongoing Mobile Data Demand
BelAir100LP LTE Picocell delivers high throughput, multiple deployment options - compact, cost-effective solution improves user experience, mobile network profitability
ORLANDO, Fla. - CTIA Wireless 2011 - As mobile operators worldwide plan and deploy LTE networks to support relentless growth in mobile data demand, a new class of small cell base station, known as outdoor metropolitan picocell, is gaining traction. According to industry research firm, In-Stat, the outdoor metropolitan picocell market is forecast to top $5 Billion in 2014. In 2014, more than two billion Wi-Fi chipsets will ship, according to IHS iSuppli, reflecting Wi-Fi's continued popularity in smartphones and tablets, the devices driving mobile data and video consumption. Against this backdrop of increasing mobile data demand, LTE small cell adoption and Wi-Fi enabled device growth, BelAir Networks today announced the new BelAir100LP LTE Picocell, a compact outdoor small cell base station that combines LTE and 802.11n Wi-Fi and can be installed and activated within 15 minutes.
"In live network trials with Tier One operators, we've proven that combining licensed and unlicensed wireless technologies in a small cell base station is a very effective way to handle growing mobile data traffic," said Bernard Herscovich, President and CEO, BelAir Networks. "The BelAir100LP features a modular platform to accommodate operators' LTE preferences and leverages patented innovations that address the installation challenges - including backhaul, power and mounting - that have impeded widespread picocell adoption to date."
BelAir Networks has been deploying carrier Wi-Fi solutions and licensed + unlicensed products to offload data traffic from congested mobile networks for years. Leveraging this expertise, the BelAir100LP LTE Picocell enables mobile carriers to quickly and cost-effectively build large-scale small cell networks for future proof capacity and coverage, with features that include:
- Multiple mounting options - pole and wall-mount or patented strand mount via aerial, pedestal, cabinet or vault hybrid fiber coax (HFC) infrastructure
- Backhaul flexibility - patented high-performance switched mesh, fiber, Ethernet or HFC
- Licensed and unlicensed access radios - LTE + dual 802.11n Wi-Fi radios with chip-based beamforming
- Internal array beam steering antennas working in conjunction with chip-based beamforming to deliver improved throughput at a greater distance
- Powering via AC, DC or cable plant
- Virtual AP capabilities enabling multiple operators to share common wireless network infrastructure while offering a customized user experience through direct integration with their specific back end systems (AAA, Policy Management) on a per SSID basis
The BelAir100LP is designed to provide a high capacity underlay or coverage extension to tower and rooftop-based LTE macrocell deployments. In traditional macrocell configurations, LTE promises to deliver 2-4X the capacity of current 3G networks, but with leading operators witnessing mobile data growth of 7 - 30X over the last 3 years, LTE macrocells alone will provide only temporary relief from data congestion. So operators are leveraging both small cell architectures and unlicensed spectrum to augment capacity in areas of high use concentration.
BelAir100LP represents an evolution of the award-winning BelAir100SP Strand Picocell incorporating HSPA or CDMA radios along with 802.11n Wi-Fi, and is currently in live network trials with major operators. AWS spectrum band is also supported on BelAir Networks indoor and outdoor APs and base stations.
BelAir Networks comprehensive product and service portfolio includes:
- Outdoor picocells combining 3G/4G base stations with dual 802.11n Wi-Fi radios
- Indoor and outdoor 802.11n APs supporting Wi-Fi access and backhaul at both 2.4 and 5 GHz
- BelAirOS software enabling back office integration with carriers' existing systems (policy management, AAA, edge routers) and supporting network wide mobility
- BelView network management supporting up to 50,000 base stations in one network on a scalable client-server-data collector architecture with web-based monitoring
- Carrier business intelligence tools including Synthetic Client and Smartphone Dashboard
- Network planning, deployment, integration and support services
BelAir Networks will be at booth #2604 at CTIA Wireless 2011, Orange County Convention Center, Orlando Florida, March 22-24, 2011.
About BelAir Networks
BelAir Networks wireless solutions are deployed by the world's leading service providers including AT&T, Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Cablevision. The company's portfolio of indoor and outdoor access points (AP) and picocell base stations, control and management systems enable service providers to build scalable, high performance wireless networks for 3G/4G data offload, city hotzones, and Wi-Fi coverage for large venues, special events and retail chains. Innovative mobile and cable operators use BelAir Networks to drive revenue, improve competitiveness and deliver a great mobile broadband user experience. BelAir Networks is a privately held company with Tier 1 carrier customers and backed by investment from Comcast Interactive Capital, T-Mobile Venture Fund and leading venture capital firms including Trilogy Equity Partners. For more information, visit www.belairnetworks.com.