Press Release Summary:
Powered by Intel Pentium(TM) M processor, ThinkPadÂ® T42p mobile workstation notebook includes Active Protection system that helps protect HDD from damage caused by shock. Features include Intel(TM) Centrino mobile technology, 855 PM chipset, and PRO/Wireless Network Connection 802.11b or IBM 11a/b/g wireless. Measuring 12.2 x 10.0 x 1.0-1.2 in., computer incorporates 60 GB HDD that runs at 7,200 rpm and titanium and magnesium composite covers.
Original Press Release:
New IBM ThinkPad T42p Notebook Computers Deliver High Performance in a Lightweight Package
The ThinkPad® T42p mobile workstation notebook is an ideal companion or alternative to your workstation for displaying detailed designs, demonstrations, and high-powered presentations. The T42p notebook is the thinnest and lightest mobile workstation available.
The IBM Active Protection system, a ThinkVantage(TM) technology, helps protect your HDD from some damage that could be caused by shock. A system board-mounted sensor continuously monitors your ThinkPad notebook for sudden movement, and temporarily parks the HDD read/write head when a fall or similar event is predicted.
· Intel(TM) Centrino mobile technology on selected models:
- Intel Pentium(TM) M processor family
- Intel PRO/Wireless family
- Intel 855 PM chipset family
· Intel PRO/Wireless Network Connection 802.11b or IBM 11a/b/g wireless
· ATI Mobility FIRE GL T2 (128 MB) graphics chipset for clear, crisp 3D images with full OpenGL support
· 512 MB or 1 GB DDR RAM at 333 MHz
· UltraNav(TM) dual-pointing system, featuring TrackPoint® and customized touch pad for the ultimate in pointing flexibility
· UltraConnect(TM) antenna to help optimize frequency coverage and performance for improved wireless LAN connectivity around the world
· Wireless upgradable (open bay model)
Excellent features and options
· Choice of systems with Intel PRO/Wireless LAN (Wi-Fi certified based on IEEE 802.11b) or IBM 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless installed
· Access Connections to help manage wired and wireless communications
· Rescue and Recovery(TM) with Rapid Restore(TM)
· 358.1-mm (14.1-in) TFT displays with 1400 x 1050 resolution
· Windows(TM) XP Professional with selected applications
· Ultrabay(TM) Slim bay for fast and easy hot- and warm-swapping of selected options
Long battery operation
Up to 6.4 hours with the nine-cell system battery; up to 8.4 hours with the nine-cell system battery and Ultrabay Slim Li-Polymer battery option
Light and portable: The ThinkPad T42p notebook is 26.6 mm (1.0 in) thin with optimal travel weight starting at 2.25 kg (4.94 lb) with travel bezel and nine-cell battery. Its approximate dimensions are 26.6 to 31 x 311 x 255 mm (1.0 to 1.2 x 12.2 x 10.0 in) with nine-cell battery.
The titanium and magnesium composite covers give added strength.
Robust system manageability: The ThinkPad T42p notebook features support for IBM Director Agent and is designed to the PXE 2.0 manageability requirements for mobile systems.
All ThinkPad T42p notebooks are enabled for ImageUltra.
For more information, visit
At a glance
The ThinkPad T42p notebook features:
· Intel Pentium M1 processor 745 (1.8 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 400 MHZ front-side bus (FSB))
· Sleek profile and light weight
· 400 MHz FSB with 333 MHz double data rate (DDR) memory modules
· 512 MB or 1 GB of memory, expandable to 2.0 GB
· Rescue and Recovery with Rapid Restore
· UltraNav dual-pointing system, featuring TrackPoint and customized touch pad
· ThinkPad HDD shock absorber
· 60 GB high-speed HDD at 7200 rpm
· 24x-24x-24x-8x max CD-RW/DVD or Multi-Burner DVD-R drive
· Standard integrated communications of V.90 modem (V.92-designed)
· 1 Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth wireless technology, and Embedded Security Subsystem 2.0, Trusted Computing Group (TCG)-compliant
· Three-year limited warranty; one-year limited warranty on battery
· IBM Support Center
Planned availability date
May 25, 2004