Press Release Summary:
Komatsu’s new WA480-8 wheel loader offers high production, low fuel costs, improved operator comfort and enhanced serviceability. The EPA Tier 4 final certified SAA6D125E-7 engine reduces fuel consumption. The optional advanced joystick steering system feature eliminates the steering wheel for improved forward visibility and operator comfort. The wheel loader’s new bucket design with generous curves improves pile penetration and overall machine productivity. The unit is ideal for the quarry, infrastructure and non-residential construction applications.
Original Press Release:
Komatsu's New WA480-8 Wheel Loader Offers Higher Production, Less Fuel Burn & Better Comfort
Higher production, less fuel burn, better comfort and serviceability all come together in a package that hits the sweet spot for multiple-application versatility
Rolling Meadows, Ill., June 27, 2018 - Komatsu America Corp., a leading global heavy equipment manufacturer, today announced the introduction of the new WA480-8 Wheel Loader. Equipped with an EPA Tier 4 Final certified emissions regulations-compliant engine, this latest addition to the wheel loader family combines higher production with lower fuel costs, improved operator comfort and enhanced serviceability.
New operator-friendly design features include the optional advanced joystick steering system (AJSS), which eliminates the steering wheel, and with it, a major cause of operator fatigue. Also, the new “generous curves” bucket design fills and retains material better, making the machine nearly eight percent more productive than the previous model.
“The WA480-8 is the perfect tool for quarry, infrastructure and non-residential construction applications, said Craig McGinnis, product marketing manager, Komatsu America. “It’s the perfect three-pass loader for on-highway trucks and hoppers,” McGinnis said.
Standard features of the WA480-8 include:
Under The Hood
- A powerful 299 HP, 11.04 L, EPA Tier 4 Final certified, SAA6D125E-7 engine uses up to 20 percent less fuel than its Tier 3 predecessor
- Nearly 20 years of leadership in emissions technology enabled Komatsu designers to create an engine that reduces Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) by more than 80%, from the Tier 3 model
- Komatsu Diesel Particulate Filter (KDPF) and other after treatment components are designed in conjunction with the engine for efficiency and long life
- More than 95 percent of KDPF regeneration is performed passively, with no action required of the operator and no interference with machine operation
- Komatsu’s SmartLoader Logic, combined with the lockup torque converter that activates in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear, provides optimal engine torque for improved acceleration, hill-climbing ability, a higher top speed and fuel savings
New In-Cab Enhancements/Features
- Advanced Joystick Steering System (AJSS) eliminates the steering wheel for improved forward visibility and operator comfort while allowing the machine to operate at full speed
- Integrated load meter system displays data directly to the machine’s main monitor and remotely via KOMTRAX. Load sub-total and cancel functions available via buttons integrated into the machine work levers. Load meter is only available on two-lever, two-valve machine configurations
- An optional printer allows operators to print bucket and truck weights based on load meter data
- Air-suspension, high-back, heated seat softens machine vibrations for operator comfort, while cast frame structure increases strength
- Seat-mounted electronic pilot control levers with F-N-R switch for operator ergonomics and convenience
- Latest version of pioneering KOMTRAX telematics system and monitor that provides key machine metrics, including KDPF status and DEF-level data, fuel consumption, plus performance information collected and sorted by operator ID
- Komatsu Auto Idle Shutdown to reduce idle time and save fuel
- Auxiliary jack and two 12-volt ports
- Seven inch, full color, high resolution monitor with Ecology Guidance
- Separate, full color, rearview monitor comes standard
- New bucket design improves overall machine productivity. Generous curves on the side wall and wrap improve pile penetration, make it easy to fill, and improve material retention in carry operations
- New auto dig system controls bucket tilt and lifting by sensing pressure applied to the work equipment. System can reduce operator fatigue and optimize bucket load
- New swing-out rear door and standard auto-reversing fan allow easy access to wider fin space radiator for ease of cleaning
- Gull-wing engine doors provide quick, convenient access for daily checks and service items
- Full polymer, corrosion-resistant rear fenders are standard
- Sight gauge at DEF fill cap to minimize overfilling. DEF fill cap has convenient magnetized holster to hold cap while filling
- Additional hinged panels on each side of machine for easy access to regeneration components
- Optional engine pan and oil heaters available for easier starting in colder conditions
- New battery disconnect switch includes lock out tag out capability with a lock or hasp
About Komatsu America Corp. Komatsu America Corp. is a U.S. subsidiary of Komatsu Ltd., the world’s second largest manufacturer and supplier of earth-moving equipment, consisting of construction, mining and compact construction equipment. Komatsu America also serves the forklift and forestry markets. Through its distributor network, Komatsu offers a state-of-the-art parts and service program to support its equipment. Komatsu has proudly provided high-quality reliable products for nearly a century. Visit the website at www.komatsuamerica.com for more information.
Komatsu® is an authorized trademark of Komatsu Ltd. Komatsu America Corp. is an authorized licensee of Komatsu Ltd. All other trademarks and service marks used herein are the property of Komatsu Ltd., Komatsu America Corp., or their respective owners or licensees.