Press Release Summary:
- Consist of AFE7422 (dual-channel) and AFE7444 (quad-channel) models that receive and transmit up to 1.2 GHz and 800 MHz respectively
- Operated in 10 MHz to 6 GHz frequency range and samples up to 9 GSPS per ADC and 3 GSPS per ADC
- Available in 17 x 17 mm dimensions and suitable for defense, test and measurement applications
Original Press Release:
Industry's First Integrated Quad- and Dual-Channel RF-Sampling Transceivers Enable Multiantenna Wideband Systems
TI transceivers simplify design while delivering the industry's widest frequency range and smallest footprint for defense, and test and measurement applications
DALLAS, March 4, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ:TXN) today introduced two new RF-sampling transceivers that are the first in the industry to integrate four analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) and four digital-to-analog converters (DACs) in a single chip. With the industry's widest frequency range, highest instantaneous bandwidth and 75 percent smaller design footprint than a discrete solution, the quad-channel AFE7444 and dual-channel AFE7422 transceivers help engineers more easily achieve multiantenna, direct RF sampling for radar, software defined radio and wireless 5G applications. For more information, see www.ti.com/AFE7444-pr and www.ti.com/AFE7422-pr.
Simplify frequency planning with the widest bandwidth
- Highest instantaneous bandwidth (IBW): Offering the highest IBW among radio frequency (RF)-sampling transceivers, the AFE7444 and AFE7422 enable engineers to achieve up to 600 percent more data throughput. While sampling up to 9 gigasamples per second (GSPS) per DAC and up to 3 GSPS per ADC, the AFE7444 receives and transmits up to 800 MHz of information from each of the four antennae, and the AFE7422 receives and transmits 1.2 GHz from each of the two antennae.
- Widest frequency range: The new RF-sampling wideband transceivers give engineers flexibility to design applications covering any frequency from 10 MHz to 6 GHz.
Ease the design process for direct RF sampling
- Reduced component count: The AFE7444 and AFE7422 enable engineers to support up to eight antennae and 16 RF bands with only one device. The AFE7444 and AFE7422 also allow engineers to directly sample input frequencies into C-band without the need for additional frequency conversion stages, eliminating local oscillators, mixers, amplifiers and filters in designs. Additionally, the two transceivers' architecture allows for greater programmability than traditional RF solutions, and flexible decimation options enable optimization of data bandwidth.
- Reduced design cycles: With four ADCs and four DACs in one chip, the AFE7444 and AFE7422 help engineers significantly reduce design cycles that are associated with the manufacturing and testing phases required when designing with discrete components.
Save space for high-density applications
- Smaller design footprint: Measuring 17 mm by 17 mm, TI's RF-sampling transceivers help save engineers 75 percent of board space when compared to using discrete RF-sampling data converters.
- Board placement flexibility: The integration and small size of the AFE7444 and AFE7422 enable engineers to optimize transceiver proximity to the antenna, enabling digital beam forming in high-frequency and high-density antenna arrays.
The AFE7444 and AFE7422 join TI's RF-sampling transceiver portfolio that meets engineers' performance, bandwidth and power needs with high integration.
Tools and support to speed design
- Evaluate the new transceivers with the AFE7444EVM and AFE7422EVM evaluation modules, available today from the TI store and authorized distributors. The evaluation modules are priced at US$2,499 and US$1,999 respectively.
- Engineers can jump-start their designs using the AFE7444 or AFE7422 with the Multichannel RF transceiver clocking reference design for radars and wireless 5G testers.
- Watch the video series, "Getting started with the AFE7444 and AFE7422."
Package, availability and pricing
TI's new RF-sampling transceivers are available in production quantities through the TI store and authorized distributors. Packages and pricing are listed in the table below.
Product Package Pricing in 100-unit quantities Order now at the TI store
Learn more from TI's data converter experts
- Download the AFE7444 and AFE7422 data sheets.
- Read this short technical article and learn how to design for faster frequency hopping.
- Learn more in these application notes:
- Search for expert answers in the TI E2E™ Data Converters support forum.
- Check out all of TI's data converters.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog integrated circuits (ICs) and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping approximately 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
CONTACT: Brenna McKenna, Golin, 469-680-2482, email@example.com; Gloria Lee, Texas Instruments, 214-479-8331, firstname.lastname@example.org