Press Release Summary:
- Designed to allow over 10 hours of battery operation without charging, with over 2,000 charge/discharge cycles expected per battery
- Flow rate range of 0.5 to 10.0 mL/min
- Capillary columns (single or dual) with internal diameter of 150mm and lengths in 50, 100, 150, 200 or 250 mm
Original Press Release:
The Axcend Focus LC is Now Shipping -- Axcend's Shoebox-sized, High-Performance Liquid Chromatograph Transforms HPLC Science for Analytical Chemists Worldwide
- By creating a 16-pound HPLC that measures 7.9x9.1x12.6-inches, Axcend Corporation has opened a new world of analytical chemistry use cases for scientists interested in UV-absorption nano-flow detection
Provo, Utah, Feb. 19, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Axcend Corporationtoday announced it has begun shipping the Axcend Focus LC™ — a shoe-box-sized, high-performance liquid chromatograph the company believes has the potential to revolutionize the use and deployment of HPLC systems around the globe.
By taking an entirely new approach to designing and building an HPLC, the Axcend team (led by Axcend™ Co-Founder and Chief Science Officer, Milton L. Lee, Ph.D.) de-coupled the on-column UV-absorption detectors from the Axcend Focus LCitself. The result is an HPLC that utilizes a compact, easy-to-use cartridge system to house its
- 150 mm internal diameter (ID) fused silica capillary columns and its
- Single or dual on-column UV-absorption detectors, while the Axcend Focus LC itself
- Measures a mere 7.9x9.1x12.6-inches (20.1x23.1x32.0-centimeters), yet includes
- Tiny waste and solvent vials housed inside the front panel of the HPLC, all while
- Tipping the scales at a lightweight 16.0 lbs. (7.26 kg)
"I have worked with both inventors and scientists during my 25- year tech career, but none surpass Dr. Lee for his forward-looking ideas for making liquid chromatography dramatically easier and more accessible by creating an HPLC with a swappable cartridge system," said Glen Mella, Axcend CEO and Co-Founder. "The result is an instrument that allows scientists to 'Take the Lab to the Sample™' — a lightweight, portable system that can be used anywhere with minimal worry about transporting solvents or disposing of waste. The Axcend Focus LC truly means 'HPLC Anywhere™.'"
Included below are highlights of some of the specifications for the Axcend Focus LC, while complete specifications can be found on the Axcend Website.
Select Specifications for the Axcend Focus LC
Up to 6,000 psi (410 bar)
UV-Absorption Detectors (single or dual)
- 255 or 275 nm wavelength
Capillary Columns (single or dual)
- Internal Diameter: 150 mm
- Lengths: 50, 100, 150, 200, or 250 mm
- Standard: 1.7 — 3.0 mm fused silica particles
- Optional: Up to 5.0 mm, with other packing material available
- Sample injection possible at any time
Flow Rate Range
- 0.5 — 10.0 mL/min
- Non-split flow control algorithm
- 1.0 mL
- 2.0 — 10.0
Number of Solvents
- Up to two: A and/or B
Injection Volume Range
- Internal loop: 4, 10, 20, 30, or 40 nL
- External loop: ≥ 175 nL
- Manual and automated
- High-pressure mixing, binary gradient
- User-defined via software interface
Primary Wetted Materials
- Fused Silica
- 316 Stainless Steel
Intuitive and secure wireless / wired HPLC output and control of the Axcend Focus LC occurs through computers and iPads that support HTML5. As a portable system, the Axcend Focus LC is designed to allow over 10 hours of battery operation without charging, with over 2,000 charge/discharge cycles expected per battery.
With its focus on portability and its utilization of nano-flow capillaries within a unique design construct, the Axcend Focus LC also delivers an unexpected benefit on the financial side of the ledger.
"While we expected greater sensitivity with the Axcend Focus LC than with other UV-absorption-based HPLCs, we are also pleased with the dramatic drop in solvent use and the amount of waste produced," Dr. Lee said. "On average, scientists need 1/500th of the solvents and generate 1/500th of the amount of waste with the Axcend Focus LC versus the solvent needs and waste production of traditional HPLCs. This translates into substantial financial benefits for Axcend Focus LC users, while also creating several important environmental advantages at the same time."
Due to its small size and weight, as well as the dramatically lower requirements for solvent usage and waste disposal, the Axcend Focus LC can be used in locations not previously possible: from inside a laboratory fume hood to field deployment for environmental testing.
Initial units of the Axcend Focus LC have been shipped to the pharmaceutical, higher education, and aerospace industries, with shipments planned to the agricultural and energy industries, among others.
Prices for the Axcend Focus LC begin at $35,000 and include one standard AFLC Cartridge™ built with a single capillary column and a single UV-absorption detector, with additional AFLC Cartridges also available in standard or optional configurations. For information about specific HPLC needs for your organization, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Axcend Corporation is a provider of innovative, compact nano-flow, high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) systems that deliver dramatic improvements in portability, ease-of-operation, rapid and convenient deployment, and coupling to other analytical systems (such as mass spectrometers). Its award-winning Axcend Focus LC was unveiled at the Pittcon 2018 conference and trade show. For information about Axcend, please visit www.AxcendCorp.com or call +1-801-405-9545.
Axcend, the Axcend logo, Axcend Focus LC, Take the Lab to the Sample, HPLC Anywhere, and AFLC Cartridge are trademarks of Axcend, LLC. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
David Politis, 801-556-8184, David.Politis@AxcendCorp.com
Web Site: http://www.AxcendCorp.com