Press Release Summary:
Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.’s DS28E50 DeepCover Secure Hash Algorithm 3 (SHA3-256) Authenticator IC with ChipDNA PUF technology can authenticate peripherals, prevent counterfeiting, aftermarket cloning and unauthorized use. Embedded system designers can integrate the authentication system cost-effectively and easily. Using ChipDNA PUF technology ensures that all DS28E50 stored data is protected. The DS28E50 is cost-effective and features crypto-strong security, easy implementation in a tiny, low-power, rugged package.
Original Press Release:
Maxim Unveils Industry's First Authenticator IC with SHA3-256 Cryptographic Engine
DS28E50 with ChipDNA™ PUF technology authenticates peripherals, prevents counterfeiting and unauthorized use for embedded designers with little or no cryptography experience
SAN JOSE, Calif., Oct. 17, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Embedded systems designers can now easily and cost-effectively integrate the industry's most advanced crypto-strong authentication into their designs with the DS28E50 DeepCover® secure hash algorithm 3 (SHA3-256) authenticator IC from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM). With SHA3-256, the DS28E50 delivers the latest technology for challenge-and-response authentication, providing the strongest defense against counterfeiting, unauthorized usage and other application problems in a secure IC solution suited for teams with limited or no cryptography expertise.
- Details about Maxim's security and cryptographic solutions: http://bit.ly/secure_authenticators
- Details about the DS28E50: www.maximintegrated.com/products/DS28E50
- Hi-res image: http://bit.ly/SHA3_Authenticator
Embedded systems continue to come under attack by increasingly sophisticated hackers. Designers are seeking to protect product integrity against aftermarket counterfeits and strengthen guarantees that sensors inside these devices are genuine and not substandard clones. The DS28E50 provides embedded system developers with advanced ability to prevent counterfeiting, aftermarket cloning and unauthorized use of smart, connected industrial, medical and consumer devices.
In addition to providing the industry's first SHA3-256 authentication IC, the DS28E50 also integrates Maxim's patented ChipDNA™ physically unclonable function (PUF) technology to prevent the IC-level attacks that are routinely attempted on security ICs. With ChipDNA technology, which is derived from the naturally occurring random analog characteristics of fundamental MOSFET devices, secret keys that protect all DS28E50 stored data are generated only when needed and are never stored on the chip.
Key Advantages of the DS28E50
- Cost-Effective, Crypto-Strong Security: The FIPS 202-compliant SHA3-256 implementation provides a cost-effective, less-complex way to implement highly advanced, secure challenge/response authentication to defend against counterfeiting and monitor or limit peripheral usage. ChipDNA PUF technology strongly protects all device-stored sensitive data from security attacks.
- Ease of Implementation: Single-contact, 1-Wire® communication simplifies interface to end application. The IC includes secured EEPROM for end-application data with multiple configurable and irreversible memory-protection modes. No device-level firmware development is required (firmware is needed for the host-side microcontroller). In addition, a factory programming service is available for simplified secure key management.
- Tiny, Low-Power, Rugged Package: The IC requires just 3.3V, operates from -40°C to +85°C, includes ±8kV human-body model (HBM) electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection, and is housed in a 6-pin, 3mm × 3mm TDFN package
- "Embedded security is definitively one of the largest concerns with regards to the IoT, especially in efforts to protect intellectual property from compromise," said Tanner Johnson, senior analyst, Cybersecurity Technology, IHS Markit Technology. "SHA3-256 is one of the newest and most robust cryptographic algorithms available, and any solutions that utilize it are ahead of the curve."
- "Our latest authenticator benefits applications that require effective crypto-secure challenge-and-response authentication for securing peripherals, sensor data, usage control and feature setting," said Scott Jones, managing director, Embedded Security, at Maxim Integrated. "Fortified by the SHA3-256 cryptographic engine and ChipDNA PUF technology, the DS28E50 provides industry-leading security to protect our customers' equipment."
Availability, Pricing and Support
- The DS28E50 is available now at Maxim's website for $0.97(1000-up, FOB USA); also available with select authorized distributors
- The DS28E50EVKIT# evaluation kit is available for $65
About Maxim Integrated
Maxim Integrated develops innovative analog and mixed-signal products and technologies to make systems smaller and smarter, with enhanced security and increased energy efficiency. We are empowering design innovation for our automotive, industrial, healthcare, mobile consumer and cloud data center customers to deliver industry-leading solutions that help change the world. Learn more at https://www.maximintegrated.com.