Press Release Summary:
Available for plastics processors, GlobalPlus™ single-additive dispersions come inÂ containers that stay sealed – from loading dock arrival;Â through storage, handling, and metering into process; and during return for replenishment. Additive is metered into process byÂ pump located inside drum, which eliminates such liquid handling complications as spillage, leakage, cleanup, pump maintenance, unused additive, and environmental concerns. Letdowns are 0.1%–1.5% typ.
Original Press Release:
Cost-Saving Liquid Additives Now Come in Mess-Proof Drums that Stay Sealed Throughout Use By Plastics Processors
GlobalPlus™ Sealed Additives from Riverdale Global Include a Full Range of Modifiers and Process Aids Supplied as Single-Additive Dispersions
ASTON, PA, U.S.A. – Plastics processors who need to employ additives as stand-alone ingredients rather than in blends with colors can now obtain the economic benefits of liquid additives in the same "never-see-a-drop" total system developed by Riverdale Global for liquid colors, the company announced today.
Riverdale Global's new GlobalPlus™ product line includes a full range of additives, each supplied as a single-additive dispersion in a container that stays sealed from the moment it arrives at the processor's loading dock, through storage, handling, and metering into the process, and during return to Riverdale Global for replenishment. Until now, liquid additives have typically been supplied in blends with liquid colors, but the GlobalPlus™ sealed additive system is designed for processors who run clear or natural resins or who need to supplement the additive packages in pre-compounded or masterbatch materials.
[At the same time, Riverdale Global also supplies sealed additives to its own satellite operations in the U.S. and overseas, where they can be blended with single-pigment dispersions for custom color-matched formulations.
In accordance with Riverdale Global's proprietary "Pump in a Drum" design, the additive is metered into the process by a pump that is located inside the drum. The company's total system eliminates the complications of handling liquids, including spillage, leakage, cleanup, pump maintenance, unused additive, environmental concerns, and disposal costs, according to Kevin Cabana, vice president of process technologies.
Although liquid additives typically cost more per pound than pellet concentrates, they contains higher active ingredient loadings, are used at lower addition levels, and take up much less warehouse space, said Mr. Cabana. "While concentrates require higher letdowns to ensure good dispersion, liquid additives by their nature disperse more readily. As a result, letdowns of only 0.1 to 1.5% are typical for liquids, whereas letdowns for concentrates may range from 0.5 to 4.0%."
Riverdale Global's GlobalPlus™ sealed additive product range includes:
• +Glide™ slip agents, including silicone, fatty acid ester, stearate amide, and fatty amide types, plus formulations that function as both lubricant and antistat. Slip agents shorten cycle times, speed assembly, and save process energy.
• +Foam™ blowing agents, including azodicarbonamide and endothermic chemical blowing agents as well as combined formulations. These additives can be used to reduce part weight, enhance mold fill, or save on raw material.
• +Shield™ UV light stabilizers, including hindered amine (HALS) and UV absorber types for both polyolefin and PET resins. Besides protecting products from sunlight, light stabilizers can enhance recyclability.
• +Speed™ nucleating agents, including clarifiers for polyolefins and nucleating agents for polyolefins, PET, and nylon. These additives improve product quality, reduce cycle times, and save process energy.
• +Zero™ antistatic agents for use with polyolefins, styrenics, PVC, and some engineering plastics. Besides preventing attraction of dust particles, antistatic agents may also provide mold release properties.
• +Guard™ antioxidants for polyolefins and styrenics prevent oxidation in uses involving high levels of heat exposure or multiple heat histories such as those encountered in recycling.
• +Clean™ antimicrobials for protecting products from bacteria or mold.
• +Gains™ flow modifiers for enhancing material flow during processing and also for saving energy.
Also available from Riverdale Global is the same gravimetric metering system offered by the company for users of is liquid colors. The Riverdale Gravimetric Stand (RGS), manufactured exclusively by Maguire Products, holds liquid-delivery tolerance to within 0.1%, making it possible to reduce additive costs while maintaining target percentage levels. In the RGS, a liquid color or additive drum is mounted on a self-calibrating loss-in-weight scale that continually reports the weight of the contents to the controller as a means of ensuring that the target let-down ratio is maintained. Flow is modulated through an air-regulated actuator that is connected to the liquid color pump. The pump is located inside the sealed drum, in accordance with Riverdale Global's Pump in a Drum design.
RIVERDALE GLOBAL is a leading international supplier of sealed liquid colorants and additives to the plastics industry whose products are used in consumer and commercial markets. The company's world headquarters is in Aston, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., with international offices based in the United Kingdom, Dubai, Singapore, and China. The Riverdale legacy dates back to the early 1900s as a supplier of dyes and industrial chemicals with a focus today on process automation, sustainability and local service.
Robert J. Martino
Martino Communications Inc.
8 Main Street / P.O. Box 379
Hastings-on-Hudson, NY 10706 U.S.A.