Receive industry and products news from the market categories that matter to you most.
Stay up to date on industry news and trends, product announcements and the latest innovations.
Product News: Computer Hardware & Peripherals
Latex Ink Printers produce indoor/outdoor signage.
Press Release Summary:
Nov 15, 2011 - The 104 in. wide HP Designjet L28500 Printer is optimized for speed, ant the 61 in. HP Designjet L26500 Printer suits customers entering soft-signage market. Both feature HP 792 Latex Designjet Inks and offer double-sided printing capabilities with automated registration. Able to print on range of materials, systems produce 1,200 dpi output with outdoor display permanence of up to 3 years (unlaminated) or 5 years (laminated). Output dries inside printer, allowing immediate finishing or use.
Original Press Release
HP Expands Latex Printing Portfolio, Offering Improved Versatility, Durability Compared with Eco-solvent Technology
Press release date: Nov 02, 2011
Furthering HP's strategy to disrupt the eco-solvent market, the 104-inch-wide HP Designjet L28500 Printer delivers speeds up to 70 percent faster(2) than the HP Designjet L25500 Printer, while the 61-inch HP Designjet L26500 Printer is ideal for customers entering the growing soft-signage(3) market.
Both systems feature new HP 792 Latex Designjet Inks, which produce rich blacks and glossy results on banners and self-adhesive vinyl, and offer double-sided printing capabilities(4) with less user intervention and more accurate, automated registration. Compatible with more than 500 media solutions, including the new HP Double-sided HDPE Reinforced Banner material, HP Latex Inks provide a consistent, reliable performance across a variety of substrates.
HP also launched HP Latex University, a set of training materials and application workshops led by industry experts, as well as the HP Ecosolutions Trained Printing Company program for educating HP Latex Printing Technologies users in sustainability best practices.
"With about 9,000 HP Latex Ink systems installed worldwide, HP is offering a superior alternative to eco-solvent solutions that delivers the versatility and ease of use our customers demand while lowering their impact on the environment," said Santiago Morera, vice president and general manager, Large-format Printing Business, HP. "By allowing customers to cost-effectively print a wide array of new applications and providing the training required to succeed, our updated HP Latex portfolio helps PSPs differentiate their businesses and seize new growth opportunities."
Driving business growth with broad application versatility Ideal for high-impact point-of-purchase displays, soft signage,(3) bus shelters, vehicle graphics and more, the HP Designjet L28500 and L26500 Printer series can print on a broad range of materials, including eco-solvent compatible media and low-cost uncoated options.
The new devices produce 1,200-dpi output with outdoor display permanence of up to three years unlaminated or five years laminated(1) for high-quality, long-lasting prints. The output also dries inside the printer, boosting productivity for double-sided print jobs, and allowing immediate finishing or use.(4)
"Compared with the solvent world that we're used to dealing in, the HP Designjet L26500 Printer is a breath of fresh air. It allows us to laminate immediately, installing at the same time, and do reprints in real time, increasing our productivity considerably," said Duston Noble, founder of Dallas-based Wrap Experts and a beta tester of the HP Designjet L26500 Printer. "We want to have the best equipment that makes our job easier and faster, so we love the fact that we can print and laminate jobs all in the same hour if we need to."
With new soft signage printing capabilities, customers can produce applications from retail banners to tradeshow signs and interior décor, which are easy to fold and pack, inexpensive to ship, simple to hang and have improved durability outdoors.(5)
Building on the introduction of HP HDPE Reinforced Banner, the new printers also are optimized to work with new HP Double-sided HDPE Reinforced Banner, a compelling alternative to PVC scrim for advertising applications. The substrate offers the image quality, durability and tear strength of standard vinyl without the environmental disadvantages of a PVC-based substrate.
Availability of the HP Designjet L26500 Printer will vary by region beginning Nov. 3. The HP Designjet L28500 Printer is expected to be available Jan. 20, 2012.(6)
Designed with the environment in mind Helping to address the demands of environmentally conscious print service providers (PSPs) and their clients, HP Latex Inks produce odorless prints.(7) These water-based inks are nonflammable and noncombustible,(8) and, unlike many eco-solvent inks, they do not require hazard warning labels and contain no hazardous air pollutants.(9) Additionally, no special ventilation equipment(10) or external dryer is required for safe and productive operation, helping to keep energy costs down.
HP 792 Designjet ink cartridges are now Eco Mark certified(11) by the Japan Environment Association, demonstrating relatively few environmental impacts through the product life cycle from production to disposal. PSPs can return their HP 792 Latex Designjet supplies through HP's free, convenient recycling program,(12) including ink cartridges, printheads, the printhead cleaning cartridge and the printhead cleaning container.
A recycling program also is available for a range of HP High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) and Polyester (PET) printing materials, including the new HP Double-sided HDPE Reinforced Banner.(13)
Additionally, the new printing systems reduce the amount of ink used during maintenance routines compared to eco-solvent technology.(14)
Application and sustainability education for HP Latex customers Now available through HP Capture, HP Latex University provides PSPs with training to successfully produce a wide range of outdoor and indoor wide-format graphics applications using HP Latex Printing Technologies.
By signing into HP Latex University, PSPs can access free application workshops led by specialists, online webinars and other tools that help maximize the use of their technology. The first webinar series kicks off in November and focuses on producing vehicle graphics and textiles.
Also available through HP Capture, all HP Latex Printing Technologies users can now participate in the free HP Ecosolutions Trained Printing Company program. This downloadable training is available in 10 languages to coach PSPs to take advantage of the environmental profile of their HP Latex printers, build an ongoing commitment to sustainability within their businesses and engage clients on their sustainability goals.
PSPs that complete the training will receive a framed certificate and an icon identifying them as an HP Ecosolutions Trained Printing Company that they may use for promotional purposes.
Additional information about today's news is available in an online press kit at www.hp.com/go/HPLatexSummit. More information about the latest additions to the HP Latex Printing Technologies portfolio is available at www.hp.com/go/latex, through the HP Graphic Arts Twitter feed and on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/hpgraphicarts.
About HP HP creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments and society. The world's largest technology company, HP brings together a portfolio that spans printing, personal computing, software, services and IT infrastructure at the convergence of the cloud and connectivity, creating seamless, secure, context-aware experiences for a connected world. More information about HP (NYSE: HPQ) is available at www.hp.com.
(1) Durability comparison based on testing of representative eco-solvent inks including eco-sol Max inks on Avery SA vinyl for display permanence and scratch, rub/abrasion and chemical resistance. HP image permanence and scratch, smudge and water resistance estimates by HP Image Permanence Lab on a range of media including HP printing materials. Additional information available at www.hp.com/go/supplies/printpermanence.
(2) The HP Designjet L28500 and L26500 Printers produce an extremely broad range of both outdoor and indoor applications from a single device, which surpasses the number of different applications that traditional eco-solvent printers or water-based printers can produce. The HP Designjet L28500 Printer achieves speeds up to 70 percent faster than the HP Designjet L26500 and L25500 Printers.
(3) For best results, print on media that does not let the ink trespass onto the printer. Performance may vary depending on media. Users should consult their media supplier for compatibility details.
(4) For best results use media options intended for double-sided printing.
(5) The durability with HP 792 Latex Designjet Inks improves the suitability of HP Latex Inks for soft signage applications. However, HP recommends testing the media before using it for outdoor applications.
(6) Availability date may vary by region and is subject to change.
(7) Some substrates may have inherent odor.
(8) Water-based HP Latex Inks are not classified as flammable or combustible liquids under the U.S. DOT or international transportation regulations. These materials have been tested per the Pensky-Martins Closed Cup method and the flash point is greater than 110 degrees C.
(9) HP Latex Inks were tested for hazardous air pollutants, as defined in the Clean Air Act, per U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Method 311 (testing conducted in 2010) and none were detected.
(10) Special ventilation is not required to meet U.S. OSHA requirements on occupational exposure to VOCs from HP Latex Inks. Special ventilation equipment installation is at the discretion of the customer - no specific HP recommendation is intended. Customers should consult state and local requirements and regulations.
(11) HP 792 Latex Designjet Ink Cartridges, certification number 11 142 004, certified by the Eco Mark Office of Japan Environment Association.
(12) Information on how to participate and HP Planet Partners program availability is available at hp.com/recycle; program may not be available in all areas.
(13) HP Large-format Media take-back program availability varies. Some recyclable HP papers can be recycled through commonly available recycling programs. Recycling programs may not exist in all areas. Additional details are available at www.hp.com/recycle.
(14) Per internal HP testing based on the amount of ink used during the recommended ink maintenance routines comparing the HP Latex Ink printing system to certain eco-solvent ink systems.
© 2011 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.
Don't miss the latest news!
Receive industry and products news from the market categories that matter to you most.