Press Release Summary:
Pactiv 9000 Air-PaqÂ® inflates through single intake valve that allows air to travel from one independent chamber to another through one-way check valves. If one section is punctured, others remain inflated and provide protection for enclosed product. Envelope shape suits pharmaceuticals and individual assembly components. Box shape protects consumer electronics such as DVD players, PDAs, and cell phones. Wraparound structure suits large appliances such as refrigerators.
Original Press Release:
PACTIV Launches Air-Paq® Inflatable Custom Packaging
Lake Forest, Ill. (May 21, 2004)- Pactiv Corporation (NYSE: PTV) launches Pactiv 9000 Air-Paq® custom packaging.
This innovative product is inflated through a single intake valve that systematically allows air to travel from one independent chamber to another through a series of patented, one-way check valves. If one section is punctured, the others remain inflated and provide protection for the enclosed product.
Pactiv Air 9000 Air-Paq® custom packaging can be manufactured in a variety of custom configurations such as end-caps and cradles. However, the three most common shapes are envelope, box and wraparound. The envelope is ideal for items such as pharmaceuticals and individual assembly components. The box shape protects consumer electronics such as DVD players, PDAs and cell phones. The wraparound structure is well-suited for larger household appliances such as refrigerators.
The product is loaded into a deflated Pactiv 9000 Air-Paq® configuration which is then inflated using an air compressor. The individual chambers expand creating a protective "cocoon" around the product.
Each air section and check valve is designed to withstand up to 500 pounds of compression. Pactiv 9000 Air-Paq® custom packaging is made from a polyethylene barrier lamination for extra strength and puncture resistance. Tests indicate that the 120 micron material can retain a minimum of 90 percent of its air for at least two years, over a temperature range of -20º C to 60º C.
This makes the product ideal for applications such as consumer electronics, large household appliances, computer components, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, wine bottles, bio-storage, sporting goods, sensitive auto parts, etc.
Pactiv 9000 Air-Paq® custom packaging is being launched as part of a technology alliance with Air-Paq Inc., Lake Forest, Calif. The product provides significant benefits through cost savings and product protection, such as:
· Compared to molded expanded polystyrene, the product offers improved protection from shock and vibration during shipping.
· It can be designed to be reusable with capabilities for deflation and reinflation.
· Packagers converting to Pactiv 9000 Air-Paq® custom packaging find that they can decrease overall protective packaging weight and volume by eliminating additional packaging layers. This results in material and shipping cost savings.
· Modifying sizes, dimensions, etc., to accommodate new products is fast and efficient via software templates.
· Materials are shipped deflated-realizing significant savings both from shipping and storage. The new product takes up 1/250th the space needed by expanded polystyrene packing materials providing the equivalent protection.
· The products are recyclable and can be deflated for disposal, significantly reducing the amount of packing materials going to landfills. The total amount of solid waste can be cut by 90-98%, depending on the number of times the Pactiv 9000 Air-Paq® custom packaging is reused.
· Pactiv 9000 Air-Paq® products can be made opaque or transparent, and can be produced in different film thicknesses to meet the customer's protection needs.
Pactiv Corporation (NYSE:PTV) is a leading producer of specialty packaging products with sales of $3.1 billion and operations in 14 countries. Pactiv is a market leader in growth sectors of the packaging industry: Consumer Products, with the Hefty® brand; Foodservice/Food Packaging; and Protective and Flexible Packaging. For more information about Pactiv, visit the company's web site at www.pactiv.com.