Press Release Summary:
Offering full compliance with EN 14103, EN 14105/ASTM D6584, and EN 14110 standards, Biodiesel GC Productivity Solutions include TRACE GC Ultra equipped with on-column inlet and flame ionization detector, and second TRACE GC Ultra equipped with PTV-backflush plus FID. TriPlus(TM) enables automation of all sampling methods on GC systems through 2 independent communication ports. Additional components include data system for control and reporting, and full set of reagents and consumables.
Original Press Release:
Thermo Fisher Scientific Launches Comprehensive Biodiesel Gas Chromatography Packages for EN and ASTM Compliance at the National Biodiesel Conference
MILAN, Italy (December 21, 2007) - Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in serving science, announces the launch of Biodiesel GC Productivity Solutions for EN/ASTM Gas Chromatography (GC) methods. Designed as a comprehensive set of solutions, the Thermo Scientific Biodiesel GC Productivity Solutions are the only packages available on the market capable of providing this level of integration and productivity for the three most commonly applied GC-based methods: EN 14103 for Fatty Acid Methyl Ester (FAME) characterization and linolenic acid methyl ester determination; EN 14105 / ASTM D6584 for free and total glycerine content; EN 14110 for methanol content. Delivering complete automatic characterization of pure biodiesel (B100), the unique Thermo Scientific Biodiesel GC Productivity Solutions offer full compliance with these official standards which aim to certify the quality of pure biodiesel for any commercial trading. The solutions will be displayed on booth #539 at the National Biodiesel Conference, Orlando, Florida, February 3-6, 2008 where Thermo Fisher is also a Silver Sponsor.
The interest in biodiesel as a clean burning alternative fuel produced from renewable sources has increased tremendously over the last few years, mainly due to its safer environmental impact in comparison with conventional petro-diesel. Offering high productivity and an easy-to-use fully automated comprehensive solution, the Thermo Scientific Biodiesel GC Productivity Solution-EN is developed for use by biodiesel producers and also responds to users needs working in third party certification laboratories looking at applying the EN 14103, EN 14105 / ASTM D6584 and EN 14110 methods.
The comprehensive Thermo Scientific package contains everything required to comply with the official methods stated above, including a full set of reagents and consumables enabling the instant certification of biodiesel sample quality.
The package consists of:
- A Thermo Scientific TRACE GC Ultra equipped with an On-column inlet and flame ionization detector (FID) used to run EN 14105 or ASTM D6584. The inlet is a true cold on-column injector, granting total recovery of heavy components like triglycerides and prevents any further risk of degradation of such labile substances. A low dead volume purged metal tee has been specifically designed to ensure leak-free operations at very high oven temperatures, avoiding the use of less suitable glass press-fits.
- A second Thermo Scientific TRACE GC Ultra equipped with a PTV-backflush plus FID to run the EN 14103. The backflush capability removes the heavier compounds and prevents them from entering and contaminating the column, thus extending its lifetime. The same GC is also equipped with a split/splitless injection port and second FID channel to determine methanol content according to the headspace method EN 14110. The headspace method is fully automated by the Thermo Scientific TriPlus HS autosampler, using a gas-tight syringe approach.
- A Thermo Scientific TriPlusTM autosampler, to enable the automation of all the sampling methods on the two GC systems through two independent communication ports. This results in the liquid and headspace sampling techniques running with the quick replacement of the sampling turret.
- A Thermo Scientific data system (either ChromCard or ChromQuest), which controls the instruments and generates comprehensive reports with the shortest possible learning curve.
- The Biodiesel Consumables Kit, which includes three capillary columns and reagents, as well as the calibration standards needed to set-up the methods.
A complete Biodiesel GC Productivity Solution-ASTM solely dedicated to method ASTM D6584 is also available for the Thermo Scientific TRACE GC Ultra. This package provides a single-method solution for laboratories seeking to specialize in biodiesel analyses according to the ASTM method, or whose needs are limited to that methodology. This complete package also comes with everything required to easily implement ASTM D6584 on the TRACE GC Ultra, including a consumables kit.
For more information on the new Thermo Scientific Biodiesel GC solution, please visit Thermo Fisher Scientific on booth #539 at National Biodiesel Conference, Orlando, Florida, Feb 3-6, 2008. Alternatively, please call +1 800-532-4752, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://www.thermo.com/com/cda/article/general/1,,20543,00.html
Thermo Scientific is part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, the world leader in serving science.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With an annual revenue rate of more than $9 billion, we employ 30,000 people and serve over 350,000 customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as environmental and industrial process control settings. Serving customers through two premier brands, Thermo Scientific and Fisher Scientific, we help solve analytical challenges from routine testing to complex research and discovery. Thermo Scientific offers customers a complete range of high-end analytical instruments as well as laboratory equipment, software, services, consumables and reagents to enable integrated laboratory workflow solutions. Fisher Scientific provides a complete portfolio of laboratory equipment, chemicals, supplies and services used in healthcare, scientific research, safety and education. Together, we offer the most convenient purchasing options to customers and continuously advance our technologies to accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, enhance value for customers and fuel growth for shareholders and employees alike. Visit www.thermofisher.com.