Press Release Summary:
NEMA Type 3R enclosure, designed for GPD 506/P5 AC drive, is free-standing, self-contained, and heat-resistant. It withstands harsh conditions in remote installations with no adverse effects on drive operation. Unit includes integral space heater; appropriately sized fans; fan rain hoods, filtered and shaped to protect from water ingestion; externally mounted heat sink with debris shield; and sun shield to reduce solar heat gain.
Original Press Release:
NEMA Type 3R Enclosure for GPD 506/P5 New Standard for Outdoor Installation
WAUKEGAN, Ill., May 6, 2002 - A new NEMA Type 3R enclosure -- the outdoor installation standard when suitable indoor locations cannot be found for GPD 506/P5 AC drives serving rooftop equipment or cooling towers -- is now available from Yaskawa Electric America, Inc.
The Type 3R enclosure package joins the flexible family of Yaskawa drive enclosures designed to match a wide variety of HVAC requirements - protecting your investment from dust, dirt, oil, water and corrosive elements in both indoor and outdoor mounting environments.
The NEMA 3R enclosure package is free-standing, self-contained and heat-resistant. It is designed to withstand harsh conditions in remote installations with no adverse effects on drive operation.
The enclosure package protects against rain, sleet and external ice formation. Standard features incorporated to achieve this level of protection include:
- Integral space heater to reduce internal condensation,
- Appropriately-sized fans for cooling air circulation,
- Fan rain hoods, filtered and shaped to protect from water ingestion,
- Externally-mounted drive heat sink to reduce heat build-up inside the enclosure,
- Heat sink debris shield to keep "foreign objects" out of heat sink fins,
- Sun shield mounted on top of endosure to reduce solar heat gain.
The drive's 32 character, LCD alphanumeric digital operator is mounted on the endosure door with a protective membrane cover or, if desired, mounted internally for added security.
Additional standard enclosures offered with Yaskawa's GPD 506/P5 include:
- NEMA Type 1 -- for clean, dry indoor locations. Typically mounted on the wall of a mechanical equipment room.
- NEMA Type 12 (filtered and blowered) -- for indoor locations where dust is accumulated or encountered, such as equipment rooms containing air intake plenums.
- NEMA Type 4- for drives exposed to severe environmental conditions or hose-directed water. Enclosures are sealed against the elements and may require an enclosure-mounted air conditioning unit.
- NEMA Type 4X -- NEMA 4 with corrosion-resistant construction. Many times the only approved approach when equipment must be mounted in food processing or storage areas.
The GPD506/P5 drive is globally compatible, conforming to CE, UL and Cul requirements. It is available in ratings of 100 HP at 208V, 125 HP at 230V, 500 HP at 460V, and 200 HP at 600V.
Yaskawa is the world's largest producer of AC Drives. The drives business of Yaskawa Electric America, Inc. operates from facilities in New Berlin, Wis.; Waukegan and Buffalo Grove, Ill.; Los Angeles, Cincinnati and offices throughout the Americas.