Press Release Summary:
Model TAS5727, 25 W digital audio power amplifier features 2-band dynamic range compression to provide audio processing capabilities that overcome audio quality limitations of small speakers. Designed for driving stereo bridge-tied speakers, product has RDS(ON) of 75 mW and class-D operation that eliminates need for heatsinks. It is programmed using TAS57xx Graphical Development Environment and can be managed using CC8520 PurePath(TM) SOC via I2C interface.
Original Press Release:
TI Introduces Efficient 25 W Digital Audio Power Amp for Thin-Panel Televisions
Outstanding thermal performance reduces total case temperature by 20 percent
DALLAS - Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today introduced a 25-W digital audio power amplifier for driving stereo bridge-tied speakers. The TAS5727 boasts an RDS(ON) that is 32 percent lower than previous product generations, resulting in a 20-percent lower total case temperature. Additionally, two-band dynamic range compression allows for audio processing in two different frequency bands to overcome audio quality limitations of small speakers. The TAS5727 enables designers to create efficient, thermally cool designs in the ever smaller packages demanded by the HDTV and soundbar market. For more information and to order samples of the TAS5727, visit www.ti.com/tas5727-pr.
Key features and benefits
- 75-milliohm RDS(ON) is 32 percent lower than previous generations, providing excellent thermal performance with a 20-percent lower total case temperature for ultra-thin designs at maximum output power of 25-W.
- Two-band dynamic range compression (DRC) allows for the processing of audio in two different frequency bands, with seamless integration to most digital audio processors, such as the TMS320DA708. DRC can be used as a power limiter to enable speaker protection and night-mode listening.
- 18 programmable biquad filters enable speaker EQ and other audio processing features.
- Efficient class-D operation eliminates the need for heatsinks.
Availability and pricing
The TAS5727 is available now in a surface mount 48-pin HTQFP package, priced at $2.50 each in quantities of 1,000.
Tools and support
The TAS57xx Graphical Development Environment allows designers to program the TAS5727 using graphical tools rather than writing code, providing simple, effective programming capabilities to designers of all experience levels. The software allows users to develop an audio flow graphically, and then generate a file that can be downloaded to the device in the manufacturing flow. To download the software, visit www.ti.com/tas5727gde-pr.
Designers can evaluate the TAS5727 with the TAS5727EVM, available now and priced at $199 each.
Easy implementation with PurePath(TM) Wireless Audio
The TA5727 is compatible with TI's CC8520 PurePath Wireless audio system-on-chip (SOC), which enables easy set-up of wireless capabilities in thin-panel televisions. The CC8520 provides a solid wireless audio link, as well as 16-bit and 44.1/48-KHz uncompressed CD-quality audio with no unwanted noise or dropouts. The CC8520 can control and configure the TAS5727 over I2C, and digital audio data sent over the air is output as I2S data and feeds directly into the TAS5727. For easy prototyping of wireless speakers, the TAS5727EVM development kit supports the attachment of the CC8520 Development Kit. For more information on PurePath Wireless audio, visit www.ti.com/purepathwireless.
Learn more about TI's audio portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Order TAS5727 samples and evaluation modules: www.ti.com/tas5727-pr.
- Get technical support anytime and connect with other audio engineers on the TI E2E(TM) Community: www.ti.com/audioforum-pr.
- Download TI's audio selection guide: www.ti.com/audioguide-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be - smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do - from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E Community and PurePath Wireless are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
Texas Instruments Incorporated
Web Site: www.ti.com