Receive industry and products news from the market categories that matter to you most.
Stay up to date on industry news and trends, product announcements and the latest innovations.
Product News: Electronic Components & Devices
Class D Speaker Amplifiers offer high jitter tolerance.
Press Release Summary:
Oct 02, 2012 - With digital input for noise immunity, Models MAX98355 and MAX98356 feature pulse-code modulation and pulse-density modulation input, respectively. Units have internal circuitry that detects input clock and automatically calculates sample rate. Providing 2.5–5.5 V single supply operation with 92% efficiency, Class D amplifiers deliver optimal audio quality with high jitter tolerance of 0.013% THD+N at 1 KHz and 99 dB dynamic range.
Original Press Release
Maxim Integrated's Digital Class D Speaker Amplifiers Significantly Simplify Design and Provide Unmatched Audio Performance
Press release date: Sep 25, 2012
San Jose, CA—Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) introduces two digital-input Class D power amplifiers that simplify designs, eliminate complicated programming, reduce noise, and hasten time to market. The MAX98355 (pulse-code modulation, PCM) and MAX98356 (pulse-density modulation, PDM) offer best-in-class clock jitter tolerance in Class D audio amplifiers and deliver superior audio quality.
Audio devices can now be simplified because unique internal circuitry in the MAX98355/MAX98356 detects the input clock and automatically calculates the sample rate. This reduces complicated programming and the need for system software support. With a digital input for noise immunity, and highest jitter tolerance, the parts provide superior audio quality while eliminating the need for programming for a faster time to market.
• Improved audio quality from exceptionally high jitter tolerance: low 0.013% THD+N at 1kHz and 99dB dynamic range
• Lower power consumption: 92% efficiency (RL = 8Ω, POUT = 900mW, VDD = 3.7V)
• Smaller solution size and simplified design: 2.5V to 5.5V single-supply operation
• “These digital-input Class D amplifiers make system design nearly plug and play,” said Robert Nicoletti, Applications Manager at Maxim Integrated. “This convenience reduces design complexity for the user.”
• “Market analysis firm Databeans projects that the Class D audio amplifier market is growing at a compound annual growth rate of 12 percent each year, well above the overall consumer semiconductor market. By integrating digital DACs into the Class D audio amps, Maxim allows users to reduce solution size while still reaping all the benefits of a digital input,” said Susie Inouye, Research Director at Databeans.
Availability and Pricing
• Available in a 9-pin WLP package (1.345mm x 1.435mm x 0.64mm).
• Specified over the -40°C to +85°C temperature range.
• Pricing starts at $0.82 (1000-up, FOB USA).
For more details, please click here. For hi-res images, click here.
About Maxim Integrated
At Maxim Integrated, we put analog together in a way that sets our customers apart. In Fiscal 2012, we reported revenues of $2.4 billion.
Don't miss the latest news!