Press Release Summary:
Available on select Class A motor coaches, Advanced Protection SystemÂ® includes radar-based forward collision warning indicator that alerts driver of dangerous scenarios that could lead to rear-end collision. If no action is taken, coach actively brakes to mitigate collision. Adaptive Cruise Control helps maintain safe following distance by decelerating automatically. During extreme steering maneuvers, Electronic Stability Control automatically brakes individual wheels to help maintain control.
Original Press Release:
Spartan Advanced Protection System Reinvents Motor Coach Driver Safety with Introduction of New, First-to-Market Technology Package
WEST SPRINGFIELD, Mass., -- Spartan Specialty Vehicles, a business unit of Spartan Motors, Inc. (NASDAQ: SPAR), manufacturer of The Premier Foundation for luxury motor coaches, announced today at the FMCA 94th International Convention the availability of its new Advanced Protection System® (APS), a package of market-leading collision mitigation and coach stability features designed to make owning and operating a Class A recreational vehicle (RV) safer for drivers, passengers, and other vehicles that share the road.
Spartan's new Advanced Protection System integrates collision mitigation, electronic stability control, adaptive cruise control and an integrated tow-vehicle airbrake system to Spartan's stability and defensive driving technologies. The new package will be available beginning with select model year 2017 Class A motor coaches.
"The market asked, and we listened," said Daryl Adams, President and Chief Executive Officer, Spartan Motors. "We've brought safety innovations that have been exclusive to the passenger vehicle segment to the motor coach market for the first time. In doing so, we offer our OEM partners the industry's first comprehensive set of RV-specific safety provisions so they may extend additional protection, security, and value to their premium coach customers."
Spartan's Advanced Protection System includes the following capabilities:
- Collision Mitigation, Warning, and Active Braking: available in an integrated digital dash display, the radar-based forward collision warning indicator first alerts the driver audibly and visually of potentially dangerous driving scenarios that could lead to a rear-end collision; if no action is taken, the coach actively brakes† to mitigate the chance of a collision. The Spartan APS is an always-on monitoring system that provides warnings, even when the cruise control is not set.
- Cutting-Edge Radar Technology: a forward-looking radar system with dual beam technology that detects objects in the motorhome's path at distances up to 650 feet away. The dual beam radar uses far-range and near-range detection to expand the total area of radar coverage. This 77 GHz radar technology provides fast and accurate detection of objects far ahead, while covering a wider angle to check adjacent lanes and even stationary vehicles.
- Adaptive Cruise Control: assists the driver in maintaining a safe following distance behind the vehicle in front of them by decelerating automatically. The system makes driving long hours a more relaxed and pleasant experience.
- Electronic Stability Control: automatically brakes individual coach wheels to help drivers maintain control during extreme steering maneuvers.
- Spartan Safe Haul: a hydraulic tow vehicle braking system integrated with Spartan's chassis systems so tow vehicles receive adequate and safe air pressure to supply optimal braking performance.
A product overview of the Spartan Advanced Protection System and other details are available at: www.spartanmotors.com/RVAPS/.
† System automatically de-throttles the engine and applies foundational brakes to provide up to 50% braking power
Spartan's Advanced Protection System is available across OEM platforms, with content dependent on OEM model-specific standard and optional feature provisioning.
"Safety and innovation are critical components of the Spartan Experience," said Steve Guillaume, President of the Specialty Vehicles business unit at Spartan Motors. "These features provide additional security and comfort for drivers and extend the portfolio of advantages for customers who are part of the Spartan Family. Our APS offering is a game-changer in that it provides new levels of control for those experienced drivers, and it lowers the barrier for entry for the adventurous consumer who has never driven a motor coach."
Each chassis is manufactured on a dedicated RV assembly line in Michigan - with American steel and the highest quality components. In support of the 2016 FMCA event theme, Celebrate Your Freedom, Spartan will showcase new displays including a promotional product identity commemorating the company's American Owned and American Driven heritage.
About Spartan Motors
Spartan Motors, Inc. is a leading designer, engineer, manufacturer and marketer of a broad range of specialty vehicles, specialty chassis, vehicle bodies and parts for the fleet and delivery, recreational vehicle (RV), emergency response, defense forces and contract assembly (light/medium duty truck) markets. The Company's brand names— Spartan Motors, Spartan Specialty Vehicles, Spartan Emergency Response, Spartan Parts and Accessories, and Utilimaster®, a Spartan Motors Company— are known for quality, durability, performance, customer service and first-to-market innovation. The Company employs approximately 1,800 associates, and operates facilities in Michigan, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Kansas, South Dakota, Saltillo, Mexico; and Lima, Peru. Spartan reported sales of $550 million in 2015. Visit Spartan Motors at www.spartanmotors.com.
Spartan Specialty Vehicles, a business unit of Spartan Motors, Inc., announced today at the FMCA 94th International Convention the availability of its new Advanced Protection System(R) (APS), a package of market-leading collision mitigation and coach stability features designed to make owning and operating a Class A recreational vehicle (RV) safer for drivers, passengers, and other vehicles that share the road. Spartan's APS integrates collision mitigation, electronic stability control, adaptive cruise control and an integrated tow-vehicle airbrake system to the Company's existing stability and defensive driving technologies.
Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6cs1JtWgaE
CONTACT: Russell T. Chick, Corporate Director of Marketing, Spartan Motors, Inc., 517-997-3852