Polypropylene Grade is optimized for sustainability.
New Star in the BorPure Family - BorPure(TM) RF490MO - Sets Sustainability Standard
The Borealis Group
176 Thomas Rd.
Port Murray, NJ, 07865, USA
Borealis, a leading provider of chemical and innovative plastics solutions, launches new polypropylene (PP) grade BorPure(TM) RF490MO, offering packaging converters a saving in cycle time of up to 10% and an energy reduction of up to 5% in the creation of lightweight hinge closures with superior optics.
The random copolymer PP innovation for transparent and non-opaque coloured closures sets a new benchmark in combining advanced product performance with sustainability in the conversion of lightweight closure solutions through more efficient and environmentally considerate manufacturing. BorPure RF490MO offers an outstanding stiffness/impact balance with excellent transparency and optical appeal as a new star in the BorPure family.
BorPure RF490MO's broad spectrum of benefits derive from the 20-30% higher stiffness levels and dimensional colour stability achieved with proprietary Borealis Nucleation Technology (BNT), while retaining the impact performance of existing random PP grades. Tests comparing the new grade with the market's current reference materials have shown the following advantages for converters and brand owners:
· Low processing temperature / faster cycle times - BorPure RF490MO's high fluidity simplifies processing for a smoother production cycle. It enables converters to use 20% lower barrel temperatures than in standard conditions. This step-change contributes to faster crystallisation behaviour creating a saving in cycle time of up to 10%. The reduction in temperature allows converters to use up to 5% less energy, creating cost and carbon footprint savings.
· Excellent colour stability - BorPure RF490MO shows excellent dimensional stability at colour masterbatch changes thanks to Borealis´ proprietary nucleation technology (BNT). This ensures that customers need not optimise process conditions to control the dimensional specifications.
· Superior optical appearance - The enhanced rigidity / impact balance of BorPure RF490MO creates superior hinge performance over time adding to the improved visuals of the closure. High-level transparency is achieved despite the low processing temperatures.
· Excellent organoleptics - BorPure grades preserve desired product taste and appearance, and are approved for use in food contact applications.
· Downgauging potential - The exceptional high stiffness of BorPure RF490MO potentially allows downgauging by 10% without losing overall mechanical properties of the final product at reduced wall thickness.
"Supporting the sustainability goals of our customers and their markets is a cornerstone of Borealis' research and development efforts," comments Rainer Höfling, Borealis Vice President Business Unit Moulding. "The launch of BorPure(TM) RF490MO offers closure converters new opportunities to realise the visual and performance requirements of their customers, their own need for improved manufacturing efficiency and the possibility to reduce their environmental impact in one solution."
For further information please contact:
External Communications Manager
+43 1 22 400 772
Borealis Business Unit Moulding
Borealis' moulding business specialises in supplying advanced polyolefin plastics for injection and blow moulding processing technologies. Through leading technologies such as Borstar and BNT (Borealis Nucleation Technology) and a product portfolio for a wide range of applications such as bottles, thin wall packaging, caps and closures, transport packaging, houseware and healthcare, we have established over 50 years a leading position on the moulding market across Europe, the Middle East and Asia. We believe that customer-driven innovation is the only way to achieve and sustain progress.
Borealis is a leading provider of chemical and innovative plastics solutions that create value for society. With sales of EUR 7.1 billion in 2011, customers in over 120 countries, and around 5,300 employees worldwide, Borealis is owned 64% by the International Petroleum Investment Company (IPIC) of Abu Dhabi and 36% by OMV, the leading energy group in the European growth belt. Borealis is headquartered in Vienna, Austria, and has production locations, innovation centres and customer service centres across Europe and the Americas.
Through Borouge, a joint venture between Borealis and the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC), one of the world's major oil and gas companies, the company's footprint reaches out to the Middle East, Asia Pacific, the Indian sub-continent and Africa. Established in 1998, Borouge employs approximately 1,700 people, has customers in more than 50 countries and its headquarters are in Abu Dhabi in the UAE and Singapore.
Building on Borealis' unique Borstar® and Borlink(TM) technologies and their more than 50 years experience in polyolefins, Borealis and Borouge provide innovative, value creating plastics solutions for the infrastructure (pipe systems and power and communication cables), automotive and advanced packaging markets. In addition, Borealis offers a wide range of base chemicals from melamine and fertilizer to phenol and acetone.
Today, Borealis and Borouge have a manufacturing capacity of over 5.4 million tonnes of polyolefins (polyethylene and polypropylene) per year having recently completed a 1.5 million tonne capacity expansion in Abu Dhabi. The Borouge 3 plant expansion will be completed at the end of 2013 with a further capacity of 2.5 million tonnes per year (t/y) being fully operational in mid-2014. The companies continue to invest to ensure that their customers throughout the value chain and across the globe can always rely on product quality, consistency and security of supply.
Borouge and Borealis are committed to the principles of Responsible Care® and proactively contribute to addressing the world's water and sanitation challenges through their Water for the World(TM) initiative.
For more information visit:
BorPure, Borlink and Water for the World are trademarks of the Borealis group.
Borstar is a registered trademark of the Borealis group.