Product News: Transportation Industry Products
GPS Devices assist commercial truck drivers.
Press Release Summary:
August 28, 2014 - Available in 7 and 5 in. sizes, respectively, IntelliRoute® TND™ 730 and 530 LM offer accelerated route calculation, point of interest searches, route comparisons, and screen-to-screen transitions. Both include Estimated Toll Road costs for informed trip planning. Advanced Lane Guidance instruction, combined with Enhanced Junction Views, shows driver best lanes in which to drive when approaching turn or intersection. With Avoid Areas option, drivers can avoid areas permanently or temporarily.
Original Press Release
Rand McNally Releases Fourth Generation of Top-Selling IntelliRoute® TND(TM) GPS Devices for Commercial Drivers
Press release date: August 21, 2014
DALLAS -- Today at the Great American Trucking Show, Rand McNally introduces its latest generation IntelliRoute® TND™ GPS devices for commercial truck drivers. Redesigned inside and out, the devices showcase new hardware, a faster processor, two new graphical user interface options, and improved map appearance. Bringing together Rand McNally's award-winning navigation with 35% more truck routing information than other GPS units and new features, such as Toll Cost estimates in route planning and Advanced Lane Guidance, the IntelliRoute® TND™ 730 and 530 LM devices deliver leading-edge technology and features specifically designed for commercial drivers.
"Rand McNally's IntelliRoute® TND™ devices have been market leaders since launching in 2009," said Stephen Fletcher, CEO of Rand McNally. "The new devices offer a giant leap forward in delivering unparalleled usability, features, and content."
New design, inside and out
The 7" and 5" devices feature a new thinner, sleek hardware design that is still rugged enough to withstand the in-cab environment. Inside, the devices have faster processing speeds, allowing for quicker route calculation, point of interest searches, route comparisons, and faster screen-to-screen transitions. Graphically, the units offer users two new interface design options – called "Ice" (with a white background) and "Carbon" (with a steel gray background). Users may also use the familiar "Classic" design interface, from prior generations of IntelliRoute® TND™s. The new proprietary, color-saturated icons in the design were created by Rand McNally to ensure features are easy to recognize with just a glance.
The onboard mapping has been upgraded to include improved text and road shields, and new coloration for certain reference points like shopping centers and parks. Additionally, the devices offer users the option of two new map color schemes for more driver personalization.
More and enhanced features
New navigation options allow the driver to further tailor routes to individual preferences:
• Estimated Toll Road costs are now included for better informed trip planning. A driver may choose to incorporate toll costs in the Compare Routes feature.
• More Advanced Lane Guidance instruction, combined with Enhanced Junction Views, shows the driver the best lanes in which to drive when approaching a turn or heading toward a complicated intersection.
• Avoid Areas option allows drivers to avoid areas permanently – such as residential locations – or temporarily to accommodate closures of bridges or other roads; blocked areas can be drawn on screen, or selected by road segment.
• Multi-Stop Trip Planning now provides detail for upcoming legs of the journey, color-coded for easy differentiation. There is also a "zoomable" summary map view of the full trip showing the various segments.
• And, a Commercial Bus routing option is now available on the devices in addition to truck and car routing.
Other features, from feedback
In addition, Rand McNally has added new features derived from its "Tell Rand" proprietary feedback loop from drivers. Those new items include:
• A new voice, "Claudia"-- now available for turn-by-turn directions.
• Automatic adjustment of units of measure when crossing the U.S./Canada border (miles to kilometers, for example).
• The ability to search the Address Book with a smart keyword search, making it easier to find entries.
• A one-click selection for drivers to hide buttons on the display to provide a larger view of the map.
The devices include Lifetime Map updates, and are Wi-Fi® connected allowing for up-to-the moment information such as current fuel prices, weather and traffic. Finally, both devices are compatible with Rand McNally's HD-100 device, which adds compliant E-Logs to the IntelliRoute® TND™ units.*
The new IntelliRoute® TND™ 730 and 530 LM devices are available at travel centers nationwide as well as at select retailers and online locations. For more information on Rand McNally's IntelliRoute® TND™ products visit randmcnally.com/truckgps.
* The HD-100 is a separate device, available in travel centers, and requires a monthly service plan.
About Rand McNally – Rand McNally is the country's most trusted source for maps, navigation, and travel content. For more than 75 years, Rand McNally has been an innovator in the Commercial Transportation market – from providing mileage and routing software, to truck navigation and E-Logs to mobile fleet management solutions. Learn more at randmcnally.com.
Rand McNally, IntelliRoute and the globe logo are registered trademarks, and TND is a trademark of RM Acquisition, LLC d/b/a Rand McNally.
Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance.