Product News: Electronic Components & Devices
Class D Speaker Amplifiers offer high jitter tolerance.
Press Release Summary:
October 2, 2012 - With digital input for noise immunity, Models MAX98355 and MAX98356 feature pulse-code modulation and pulse-density modulation input, respectively. Units have internal circuitry that detects input clock and automatically calculates sample rate. Providing 2.5–5.5 V single supply operation with 92% efficiency, Class D amplifiers deliver optimal audio quality with high jitter tolerance of 0.013% THD+N at 1 KHz and 99 dB dynamic range.
Original Press Release
Maxim Integrated's Digital Class D Speaker Amplifiers Significantly Simplify Design and Provide Unmatched Audio Performance
Press release date: September 25, 2012
Maxim’s digital-input Class D audio amps offer best-in-class clock jitter tolerance for superior audio quality.
San Jose, CA—Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) introduces two digital-input Class D power amplifiers that simplify designs, eliminate complicated programming, reduce noise, and hasten time to market. The MAX98355 (pulse-code modulation, PCM) and MAX98356 (pulse-density modulation, PDM) offer best-in-class clock jitter tolerance in Class D audio amplifiers and deliver superior audio quality.
Audio devices can now be simplified because unique internal circuitry in the MAX98355/MAX98356 detects the input clock and automatically calculates the sample rate. This reduces complicated programming and the need for system software support. With a digital input for noise immunity, and highest jitter tolerance, the parts provide superior audio quality while eliminating the need for programming for a faster time to market.
• Improved audio quality from exceptionally high jitter tolerance: low 0.013% THD+N at 1kHz and 99dB dynamic range
• Lower power consumption: 92% efficiency (RL = 8Ω, POUT = 900mW, VDD = 3.7V)
• Smaller solution size and simplified design: 2.5V to 5.5V single-supply operation
• “These digital-input Class D amplifiers make system design nearly plug and play,” said Robert Nicoletti, Applications Manager at Maxim Integrated. “This convenience reduces design complexity for the user.”
• “Market analysis firm Databeans projects that the Class D audio amplifier market is growing at a compound annual growth rate of 12 percent each year, well above the overall consumer semiconductor market. By integrating digital DACs into the Class D audio amps, Maxim allows users to reduce solution size while still reaping all the benefits of a digital input,” said Susie Inouye, Research Director at Databeans.
Availability and Pricing
• Available in a 9-pin WLP package (1.345mm x 1.435mm x 0.64mm).
• Specified over the -40°C to +85°C temperature range.
• Pricing starts at $0.82 (1000-up, FOB USA).
For more details, please click here. For hi-res images, click here.
About Maxim Integrated
At Maxim Integrated, we put analog together in a way that sets our customers apart. In Fiscal 2012, we reported revenues of $2.4 billion.