Simulation Software Portal has been unveiled by PolymerOhio.August 27, 2013 -
As unveiled by PolymerOhio, Manufacturing and Polymer Portal delivers access to advanced simulation software that increases productivity of SMEs nationwide. Simulation software and digital tools let companies effectively predict manufacturing outcomes, displacing such methods as trial and error. Functionalities of this Web-based platform will be demonstrated via webinar open to all manufacturers on July 25, 2013 at 1:00 pm EDT.
Simulation Software Portal for Manufacturers Unveiled by PolymerOhio
155 Commerce Park Drive
Westerville, OH, 43082
Press release date: July 19, 2013
Available to manufacturers nationwide, the Manufacturing and Polymer Portal provides affordable online tools that improve cash flow and spur growth, to be demonstrated in complimentary webinar
COLUMBUS, Ohio — PolymerOhio today unveiled the Manufacturing and Polymer Portal, a new web-based platform specifically designed to deliver affordable access to advanced simulation software that increases the productivity of small- and medium-sized manufacturers (SMEs) nationwide. The software tools, available at https://manufacturingportal.org/, enable companies to effectively predict manufacturing outcomes rapidly and at low cost. This displaces the traditional methods of learning through trial and error, which wastes resources and time. The portal functionalities will be demonstrated via a free webinar open to all manufacturers to be held July 25, 2013 at 1:00 pm EDT. Click the following to access the webinar: Manufacturing Portal National Launch Webinar
According to Dave Stieren, Manager, Technology Acceleration, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Hollings Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP), “MEP is pleased to support the development and introduction of the Manufacturing and Polymer Portal, which is an important resource for manufacturers. The Portal supports MEP’s mission to accelerate the ongoing transformation of American manufacturing into a more efficient and powerful engine of innovation. Modeling and simulation software is an essential tool with which American manufacturers can increase their competitiveness in the global market.”
Breaking Barriers to Adoption
For decades, simulation software has been used by large companies to significantly reduce the cost of developing new products. The Manufacturing and Polymer Portal lowers price barriers that have traditionally deterred SMEs from engaging in such competitive, high-value activities. Advanced simulation replaces the traditional iterative process of physical prototyping with a “one-shot build” process that reduces labor and cost by utilizing software prototyping. While this approach has previously been price prohibitive for SMEs, the Portal now offers a pay-per-use model that provides a scalable and immediately accessible alternative, opening the door for smaller manufacturers to aggressively create new products and enter opportune markets.
Simulation Software and Digital Tools
Best-in-breed simulation software and digital tools such as the following are currently offered, with more added on an ongoing basis.
• Virtual Fabrication Technology: Simulates welding of large structures with multiple welds to minimize effects of residual stresses, saving significant cost of real prototypes and fixtures.
• Forecasting Solutions: Manages supply chain to forecast sales and reduce inventories of raw materials, in-process goods, and products.
• Supply Planning: Assists companies in replenishing raw materials to maintain an optimal inventory of raw materials based on the company’s ordering history.
• Advanced Planning and Scheduling: Schedules production equipment and labor resources to optimize production, resource acquisition and allocation.
• StrategyStreet.com: Guides leaders through the process of preparing a strategic plan to help companies improve their businesses.
• AutoHarvest: Resource for offering new IP for sale, partnering or acquisition; easy searchable database for patents and all SBIR Programs.
• Moldex3D: Simulates the injection molding process in 3D to assist in designing molds and optimizing processes.
• Training from Routsis Associates: Teaches injection molding processes and equipment to operators and design engineers including safety and best practices.
• Virtual Extrusion LaboratoryTM: Assists in designing extrusion dies of all types and in simulating single-screw extrusion.
• Ludovic: Simulates co-rotating twin-screw extrusion process to assist in optimizing process parameters and designing screw configuration, reducing cost and improving product quality.
“In order to maintain and grow our nation’s valuable manufacturing sector, it’s critically important that we enable more companies to use simulation software and similar digital tools to improve productivity,” says Richard Markham, Vice President of Productivity for PolymerOhio. “The Portal is a fast, easy-to-use and affordable means for individual companies to spur growth while quickly receiving a return on their investment.”
For more information, call Rich Markham at 614-477-1133 or join the complimentary webinar at 1:00 pm EDT on July 25, 2013 at https://manufacturingportal.org/about-us/national-launch-webinar.
About the Manufacturing and Polymer Portal
The Manufacturing and Polymer Portal, headquartered in Westerville, Ohio, is a non-profit business unit of PolymerOhio, Inc. The organization serves companies across North America by providing online simulation software that enhances productivity in an easy-to-use and affordable format. For more information visit https://manufacturingportal.org/.
About PolymerOhio, Inc.
PolymerOhio Inc., headquartered in Westerville, Ohio, is a non-profit professional services organization funded by state and federal grants and company-funded projects. PolymerOhio focuses on enhancing the global competitiveness of companies in advanced materials and manufacturing and on helping them grow and create jobs. Federal funding sponsorship for PolymerOhio work, including the development and implementation of the Manufacturing and Polymer Portal, has been provided by NIST MEP since 2011. For more information, visit Polymerohio.org.