Rolls-Royce Wins US$40m Contract to Power Turkmenistan-China Natural Gas Pipeline
PO Box 420 Speed code S-07
Indianapolis, IN, 46206-0420
Press release date: February 25, 2013
Rolls-Royce, the global power systems company, has been awarded a US$40 million contract to supply equipment and related services to power the flow of natural gas through the Uzbekistan section of the Turkmenistan-China natural gas pipeline.
Rolls-Royce will supply Asia Trans Gas (ATG LLC), a joint venture between Uzbekistan's Uzbekneftegaz and China’s National Petroleum Corporation, with three RB211 gas turbine driven pipeline compressor units for operation at a compressor station on the 530 km Uzbekistan section of the 1,830 km Turkmenistan-China natural gas pipeline.
Mr. Li Lin, General Director, ATG said: "We need reliable and efficient technology to transport the gas on this important project for Uzbekistan and China. Rolls-Royce technology is an excellent fit. We look forward to on-time delivery of the equipment and high levels of in-service support."
Rolls-Royce President – Energy, Andrew Heath, said: "Rolls-Royce technology is at the heart of China and Central Asia's growing natural gas pipeline network. This contract strengthens our role and demonstrates the track-record of reliable technology and services we deliver to the world’s largest energy infrastructure projects."
The Uzbekistan section of the Turkmenistan-China natural gas pipeline will transport 25 billion cubic meters per year of gas from Turkmenistan, through Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan, to China, helping to stabilise China’s energy consumption with cleaner natural gas.
Rolls-Royce will manufacture and package the equipment at its energy facilities in Montreal, Quebec, Canada and Mount Vernon, Ohio, U.S.A.
1. Rolls-Royce is a world-leading provider of power systems and services for use on land, at sea and in the air, and has established a strong position in global markets - civil aerospace, defence aerospace, marine and energy.
2. As a result of this strategy, Rolls-Royce has a broad customer base comprising more than 500 airlines, 4,000 corporate and utility aircraft and helicopter operators, 160 armed forces, more than 4,000 marine customers, including 70 navies, and energy customers in more than 80 countries.
3. Annual underlying revenue was £12.2 billion in 2012, of which more than half came from the provision of services. The firm and announced order book stood at £60.1 billion at 31 December 2012, providing visibility of future levels of activity.
4. Rolls-Royce employs over 45,000 people in offices, manufacturing and service facilities in over 50 countries. Over 14,000 of these employees are engineers.
5. In 2012, Rolls-Royce invested £919 million on research and development, two thirds of which had the objective of further improving the environmental performance of its products, in particular reducing emissions.
6. Rolls-Royce supports a global network of 28 University Technology Centres, which connect the company’s engineers with the forefront of scientific research.
7. The Group has a strong commitment to apprentice and graduate recruitment and to further developing employee skills.
For further information, please contact:
Nigel O'Connor Director of Communications – Energy
T: +44 (0)20 7227 9156
M: +44 (0) 7768 486 836