Mersen Publishes NEC14 Reference Guide
374 Merrimac St.
Newburyport, MA, 01950
Press release date: December 11, 2013
Mersen, formerly Ferraz Shawmut, recently published a reference guide titled “2014 National Electrical Code: Changes in Overcurrent and Surge Protection.”
The NEC codifies the requirements for safe electrical installations into a single, standardized source. It is part of the National Fire Codes series published by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA®), and while not itself a U.S. law, NEC use is commonly mandated by state or local law.
In this paper, Mersen identifies and explains selected key code changes in overcurrent and surge protection, including:
“This Reference Guide endeavors to inform electrical professionals seeking an understanding of the code updates and further demonstrates the analysis used in the final resolutions,” says Peter Walsh, PE, Senior Field Engineer and author of the reference guide.
- New Circuit Breaker Requirements for 1200A Plus Circuits
- SPD Type 4 and New Requirements
- Surge Protection without Overcurrent Protection
- Short-Circuit Current Rating (SCCR)
- Solid State Motor Circuit Protection
- Ground Fault Protection (GFP) for 1000A Plus Circuits
- Sizing Transformer Protection
- PV Shut-off for First Responders
- Selective Coordination Requirements
- Selective Coordination Not Required in Hospitals
For additional information and resources on electrical protection, visit ep.mersen.com.