Emulex I/O Connectivity Solutions Optimized for New Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2600 v2 Product Family-based Server Platforms
3535 Harbor Blvd., P.O. Box 6725
Costa Mesa, CA, 92626
Press release date: September 10, 2013
Maximizes New Virtualization and Cloud Computing Server Capabilities Using Emulex Gen 5 Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapters and Converged Fabric Adapters
SAN FRANCISCO and COSTA MESA, Calif.– IDF 2013 - Emulex Corporation (NYSE:ELX), a leader in network connectivity, monitoring and management, today announced that its LightPulseŽ Gen 5 Fibre Channel (FC) technology, including the LPe16000 family of Gen 5 (16Gb FC (16GFC) and 8GFC) Host Bus Adapters (HBAs) and LPe16202 dual-port converged fabric adapters (CFAs), which offer support for Gen 5 FC or 10Gb Ethernet (10GbE)-based Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE), is optimized for the new IntelŽ XeonŽ processor E5-2600 v2 product family-based server platforms. Emulex I/O connectivity solutions offer PCI Express (PCIe) 3.0 support, industry-leading performance, and improved efficiency, addressing the needs of mission-critical databases, scalable private clouds and highly virtualized environments.
"The new IntelŽ XeonŽ processor E5-2600 v2 product family, with PCIe 3.0 support, provides the bandwidth to unlock the full potential of our family of Gen 5 FC adapters today with growth to 40Gb Ethernet in the future," said Shaun Walsh, senior vice president of marketing and corporate development, Emulex. "This provides the power, reliability and efficiency improvements, in addition to more than 1.2 million I/O operations per second (IOPS) on a single port(1), which are critical to feeding performance-hungry enterprise data centers, scaling cloud environments, and enabling application acceleration."
Emulex connects and manages I/O in Intel server environments in the following ways: -
• Converged Networking for the Enterprise Cloud: Emulex multi-fabric Ethernet solutions support advanced 10GbE networking uses for virtualization in the enterprise cloud and support VNF (Virtual Network Functions) using industry standard Network Virtualization using Generic Routing Encapsulation (NVGRE) and Virtual Extensible LAN (VXLAN) technologies. In addition, Emulex CFAs support software-defined networking (SDN), providing security for multi-tenant applications and hybrid clouds. These capabilities provide IT managers with better scalability and flexibility, reducing operational expenditures (OPEX) and improving Service Level Agreements (SLAs). Network convergence brings IP, SDN, storage and low-latency RDMA clustering solutions onto a single, shared physical layer with virtualized services that enable optimized application delivery in Intel Xeon E5-2600 v2 processor-based environments.
• Superior Gen 5 FC Connectivity for Virtualization and Flash Environments: Emulex Gen 5 FC technology delivers up to 1.2 million IOPS on a single port(1), enabling its LightPulse HBAs to meet the needs of today's performance hungry applications, solid state disk (SSD) and virtualized and cloud computing environments. Competing HBAs are limited to half the IOPS on a single port(1), preventing resource scaling between ports and potentially putting service level agreements (SLAs) at risk.
• Increased I/O Bandwidth with PCIe 3.0 Support: Emulex Gen 5 FC HBAs and CFAs support PCIe 3.0, which provides a faster I/O bus, more PCIe lanes and increased I/O bandwidth, enabling Emulex Gen 5 FC technology to match the performance capabilities of server platforms based on the new IntelŽ XeonŽ processor E5-2600 v2 product family.
• Increased CPU Cores: Using Emulex I/O solutions, customers can expand the total I/O scale of their Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v2 based systems, further increasing the number of virtual machines (VMs) supported per server and fostering even greater data center consolidation.
"Organizations building solutions based on the new IntelŽ XeonŽ processor E5-2600 v2 product family require increased I/O performance to balance the increased processing power, IntelŽ Integrated I/O, and PCIe 3.0 of the new IntelŽ XeonŽ processor E5-2600 v2 product family. The I/O ecosystem requires a wide range of I/O technologies, including high-performance I/O connectivity," said Jim Pappas, Director of Technology Initiatives, Intel Corporation. "Emulex is a key contributor to this ecosystem and offers products that can enhance the performance envelope required for I/O intensive virtual servers, cloud computing and the expanding storage universe."
1. Demartek Emulex LPe16000B 16Gb Fibre Channel HBA Evaluation, October 2012
Emulex, a leader in network connectivity, monitoring and management, provides hardware and software solutions for global networks that support enterprise, cloud, government and telecommunications. Emulex's products enable unrivaled end-to-end application visibility, optimization and acceleration. The Company's I/O connectivity offerings, including its line of ultra high-performance Ethernet and Fibre Channel-based connectivity products, have been designed into server and storage solutions from leading OEMs, including Cisco, Dell, EMC, Fujitsu, Hitachi, HP, Huawei, IBM, NetApp and Oracle, and can be found in the data centers of nearly all of the Fortune 1000. Emulex's monitoring and management solutions, including its portfolio of network visibility and recording products, provide organizations with complete network performance management at speeds up to 100Gb Ethernet. Emulex is headquartered in Costa Mesa, Calif., and has offices and research facilities in North America, Asia and Europe. For more information about Emulex (NYSE:ELX) please visit http://www.Emulex.com.
Director, Corporate Communications
+ 1 714-885-3828
Jolene (Bonina) Peixoto
Senior Manager, Public Relations and Social Media
SOURCE Emulex Corporation
Web Site: http://www.emulex.com