Receive industry and products news from the market categories that matter to you most.
Stay up to date on industry news and trends, product announcements and the latest innovations.
Industry Market Trends
Worth a Look: A Factory Grows in Brooklyn
Jan 25, 2012
- Crucial Consumer Trends for 2012 | "In 2012, much as in previous years, some brands may be staring into the abyss, while others will do exuberantly well," Trendwatching.com says. "And while we can't offer any help to defaulting nations or bankrupt companies, we do believe that there are more opportunities than ever for creative brands and entrepreneurs to deliver on changing consumer needs." In its latest annual roundup of crucial consumer trends this year, the independent trend-research firm includes DIY health and crowd-based problem solving.
- Manufacturing Key to U.S. Competitiveness | A recent report from the U.S. Department of Commerce highlights how manufacturing has been crucial to the success of the U.S. economy and identifies three key pillars to strengthening the industry's competitiveness: Federal funding for basic research; improvements in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education; and greater investment in both high-tech and transportation infrastructure.
- 2012 Facility of the Year Winners | The winners of the International Society for Pharmaceutical Engineering's 2012 Facility of the Year Awards can be found across the globe, from Ireland to India. They include some of the most advanced plants and showcase cutting-edge improvements in production, operational efficiency, integration, sustainability, innovative equipment and collaborative approaches.
- Dubai's Radical 10-Year Growth | Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates, has undergone a huge amount of growth in the past 10 years, including a massive engineering project to construct hundreds of man-made islands off the city's coast. Thanks to NASA's Earth Observatory, we can watch the city's rapid expansion from space and mark the gradual completion of the astounding palm-shaped island along the shore.
- 10 Geeky Science Holidays | Everyone deserves a holiday of their own, but none of the 11 federally recognized U.S. holidays is related to science. Fortunately, science and sci-fi blog io9 provides a list of 10 science-based celebrations for the geek in us all, including: Pi Day, International Darwin Day, Square Root Day, DNA Day and National Metric Week.
- Sherlock Holmes' Lessons on Mindfulness | Even though he isn't even real, detective Sherlock Holmes' insights into the human mind can teach us a lot about how we think and how we should think. At Scientific American, a doctoral candidate in psychology offers some decision-making lessons based on Arthur Conan Doyle's fictional character. Plus: Sherlock Holmes on Preconceptions and the Blunting of Imagination at the magazine's Literally Psyched blog.
- A Factory Grows in Brooklyn | As a means of promoting and highlighting American makers of high-quality design and fashion, the blog StyleLedger has launched a documentary series profiling independent retail businesses in the United States. In a recent episode, highlighted by The Atlantic, the owners of a Brooklyn menswear and home decor boutique reflect on what makes their business unique and successful amidst competition from bigger retailers. Plus: 4 Strategies for Reinventing the Retail Experience at Fast Company's Co.Design.
Don't miss the latest news!