Press Release Summary:
Remote Supervisor Adapter II Enhancement facilitates everyday management tasks of eserver xSeriesÂ® server. It offers 24/7 remote access and system-independent graphical console redirection with built-in video compression hardware, remote diskette and CD-ROM drive support, and security with 3DES encryption. Product also offers scriptable command-line interface, text-based serial console redirect, and user authentication and authority features.
Original Press Release:
IBM Remote Supervisor Adapter II Enhancement Simplifies Remote Management
At a glance
Remote Supervisor Adapter II Enhancement now adds accelerated graphics and delivers advanced control and monitoring features to manage your IBM eserver xSeries server at virtually any time, from virtually any place.
· Scriptable command-line interface (CLI) and text-based serial console redirect accessible via Telnet or second serial port
· Point to Point Protocol (PPP)
· User authentication information stored on Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) server
· Enhanced user authority levels
· Full Systems Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
· Multiple remote drives and disk images
· Remote disk image storage
· Secure easy-to-use Web interface
· Graphical console redirection with accelerated graphics
· Remote drive support
· Integration with IBM Director via Management Processor Assistant (MPA)
· Improved keyboard and mouse support
· Advanced Predictive Failure Analysis® (PFA)
· Automatic notification and alerts
· SNMP and e-mail alerts
· Domain Name System (DNS) and Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) support
· Remote power control
The Remote Supervisor Adapter II Enhancement, an affordable, next-generation, systems-management adapter, makes everyday management tasks easier and more efficient throughout the life of your IBM eserver xSeries® server.
The Remote Supervisor Adapter II Enhancement simplifies remote management by providing around-the-clock remote access to selected xSeries servers. New features include:
System-independent graphical console redirection
· Built-in video compression hardware eliminates drivers.
· Graphics response, up to five times faster than with predecessor, makes monitoring and control more efficient.
· System-independent installation eliminates the need to install service processor drivers, helps save IT staff time, and reduces installation complexity.
Remote diskette and CD-ROM drive support
· Enables remote booting and software loading of the server for:
- Application or operating system installation and updates
- Single server deployment
· Performs configuration and diagnostics remotely; helps save IT time and money by reducing on-site presence and server downtime
· Includes security with 3DES encryption
Scriptable command-line interface (CLI) and text-based serial console redirect
· CLI supports program control of server management functions using scripts.
· Serial text redirect provides access to text-mode BIOS and text-based system consoles such as Linux, NetWare, and Microsoft(TM) Windows® Emergency Management Services (EMS)
· Program controls text-based console using scripts.
· Two serial ports supported; extra serial port can be used to redirect the console of an additional device.
User authentication and authority features
· User IDs, passwords, and login permission attributes can be stored in a Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) server.
· Enhanced user authority levels set the access rights for users to match job responsibilities for managing your xSeries servers.
· Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encrypts the data transmitted between LDAP server and the Remote Supervisor Adapter II.
· Supports IBM Interconnect (RS-485) connection with other xSeries servers
· Integrates with IBM Director and Director Agent
Remote Supervisor Adapter II Enhancement also supports the feature set of your existing network of IBM systems management hardware, such as:
· Remote management independent of server on/off status
· Remote control of hardware and operating systems
· Easy-to-use, secure, remote management from a standard Web browser
A supported xSeries server. Refer to the Hardware requirements section.
Planned availability dates
· August, 20031:
- xSeries 205, machine type 8480
- xSeries 305, machine type 8673
· Third quarter 2003:
- xSeries 235, machine type 8871
- xSeries 255, machine type 8684
- xSeries 345, machine type 8670
1 Text console redirect is not supported on the xSeries 205 server.