Press Release Summary:
The pSeries(TM) 655 Servers feature dynamic LPAR of up to 4 partitions, hot-swap disk support for Central Electronics Complex, and 16 GB memory card. Processors based on POWER4+ technology, operate at 1.5 and 1.7 GHz. Level 3 cache provides interface to processors and memory subsystems. PCI-X-based I/O planars for 7040-61D I/O Drawer support PCI-X or PCI cards with signaling frequencies up to 133 MHz.
Original Press Release:
IBM pSeries 655 Enhancements Offer New Function, Faster Processors, and Additional Memory Options
Improvements to the pSeries(TM) 655 server include support for AIX® 5.2, Dynamic LPAR, hot-swap disk within the Central Electronics Complex (CEC), and a new 16 GB memory card.
New processors, based on IBM POWER4+ technology, operate at 1.5 and 1.7 GHz. Processor performance is further enhanced through new, higher-speed Level 3 cache for an efficient interface to the processors and memory subsystems.
PCI-X and RIO-2 technologies can boost I/O performance. New PCI-X-based I/O planars for the 7040-61D I/O Drawer support PCI-X or PCI cards with signaling frequencies up to 133 MHz. The RIO-2 I/O drawer interface technology doubles the connection speed for the I/O drawers by incorporating loops operating at speeds up to 1 GHz. These new offerings significantly increase the number of high-performance PCI-X and PCI adapters allowed per server.
The IBM Cluster 1600 is enhanced for both PSSP clusters and Cluster Systems Management (CSM) clusters with new servers and function within the cluster environment. Scaling limits are increased, and extended support includes:
o pSeries 630 LPAR
o pSeries 650 servers and LPAR
o pSeries 690 with POWER4+ processors
o pSeries 670 with POWER4+ processors
o pSeries 655 with POWER4+ processors
You can connect servers to the SP(TM) Switch2 fabric using the SP Switch2 PCI-X adapter. Extended support within the CSM environment includes the addition of RS/6000® SP legacy servers.
Refer to the Software Requirements section for details.
Planned Availability Dates
o May 30, 2003: pSeries 655 enhanced function, Cluster 1600 enhancements of pSeries 630 LPAR (#0013), and for PSSP clusters pSeries 650 (#0014) and pSeries 650 LPAR (#0015)
o July 25, 2003:
- pSeries 655 POWER4+ features (#5515 and #5518), including support for the PCI-X I/O planars for the 7040-61D drawer (#6571) and the 16 GB memory card (#4458)
- Cluster support of the POWER4+ processors (within the pSeries 690, pSeries 670, and the pSeries 655) for both PSSP and CSM clusters
- pSeries 650 and pSeries 650 LPAR support for CSM clusters
The e-business logo, pSeries, SP, and IBM eServer are trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation in the United States or other countries or both. AIX and RS/6000 are registered trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation in the United States or other countries or both. Other company, product, and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
At a Glance
o pSeries 655 enhanced functions:
- Dynamic LPAR of up to four partitions
- Hot-swap disk support for the Central Electronics Complex (CEC)
- AIX 5.2 support
o New POWER4+ prccessors:
- 1.5 GHz, 8-way POWER4+ processor, 128 MB L3 cache, and system planar
- 1.7 GHz, 4-way POWER4+ processor, 128 MB L3 cache, and system planar
o New memory option: 16 GB memory card
o I/O enhancements:
- PCI-X I/O planars available for 7040-61D I/O drawer
- RIO-2 I/O interface increases bandwidth to I/O drawers to 1 GHz operating speed
o Cluster 1600 enhancements:
- pSeries 630 LPAR support:
- pSeries 650 and pSeries 650 LPAR support
- Increased scalablity for both PSSP and Cluster Systems Management (CSM) clusters
- pSeries 690 POWER4+ processor support