Press Release Summary:
- Precision electric parallel gripper have ability to control multiple grippers on one robot
- Allows new scale to use the full resolution of the gripper’s internal position sensor and pass that information to the UR robot controller
- High-speed communications enable the UR e-Series controller to manage more data in real time
Original Press Release:
Newest Gripper Unleashes Full Power of Universal Robots (UR) e-Series Cobots
New Scale Robotics harnesses UR’s new high-speed communications interface to increase measurement precision and control multiple grippers on one robot
Victor, NY – June 17, 2019 - New Scale Robotics has released a new precision electric parallel gripper for Universal Robots (UR) e Series cobots. The new NSR-PG-10-20-URe Precision Parallel Gripper takes full advantage of the e-Series robots’ new high-speed RS-485 digital communications interface to bring two new benefits to users:
- Measurement precision of 2.5 µm (0.1 in/1000) when using the gripper’s fingers as an automated gauge for small parts. This is four times better than the original NSR-PG gripper, and 20 to 80 times better than similar grippers from Robotiq, OnRobot and Zimmer. The e-Series interface allows New Scale to use the full resolution of the gripper’s internal position sensor and pass that information to the UR robot controller. The measurement data can be used for in-process decisions, for example part sorting or pass/fail inspection. Users can also log the data to a PC for statistical process control. Data logging instructions and example code are available.
- The ability to control multiple grippers on one robot. High-speed communications enable the UR e-Series controller to manage more data in real time. New Scale Robotics takes advantage of this to control multiple grippers on one robot. The company demonstrated three of its new NSR-PG-10-20-URe grippers performing a sequence of five tasks on a UR3e cobot at Eastec May 14-16. See video at https://www.newscalerobotics.com/eastec-2019-three-gripper-ur3-demo/
The NSR-PG electric gripper is the smallest and lightest gripper available for UR robots. This allows manufacturers and research labs to deploy cobots in new ways, especially manipulating small parts in tight spaces. Combined with their unmatched measurement precision, it makes the grippers uniquely suited for automated metrology of small parts, intricate part handling and assembly tasks, and lab automation involving small and close-spaced trays of lab ware.
The gripper is available for order now from New Scale Robotics and UR distributors. For complete specifications visit https://www.newscalerobotics.com/products/nsr-pg-10-20-ur-precision-parallel-gripper/
About New Scale Robotics
New Scale Robotics (www.newscalerobotics.com) designs and manufactures precision smart grippers and end-of-arm tooling for the smallest collaborative robots. We have more than 15 years of experience and numerous patents in micro motor and motion control system development. New Scale products feature unmatched miniaturization, micrometer-scale resolution, and fully-integrated microelectronics with intelligent firmware. Our customers benefit from high performance, superior ease of use, and fast system integration. New Scale Robotics is a division of New Scale Technologies, Inc. near Rochester, NY.
Stefan Friedrich, New Scale Robotics, NSRsales@newscalerobotics.com, (585) 924-4450 x112