A new stocking system for raw material inventory is introduced by Protomatic to meet AS9100 and ISO-13485 standards.
Protomatic is instigating a new stocking system for raw material inventory. Some of the changes are driven by meeting and exceeding increased requirements for material traceability and vendor controls from the AS9100 and ISO-13485 standards.
"It's also recognizing an opportunity to better ourselves as a company," said Doug Wetzel, Protomatic Vice President and General Manager. "We need improved inventory software and new storage racking to support our raw material inventory program. It sounds simple, but those small changes can have profound performance results for the long term."
This project was started in December 2014, and will bring better organization for years to come. The organization system in use is based on the 5S Workplace Organization Method – SORT, SET-In-Order, SHINE, STANDARIZE, and SUSTAIN.
Improved Organization utilizing 5S techniques will:
• Optimize precious material resources
• Double storage volume by moving from 6' racks to 12' racks, which optimizes floor space
• Improve cost control by better monitoring of inventory
• Bring improved safety from increased rack strength
• Eliminate double orders of material by utilizing available stock
• Allow acquisition of on-hand stock faster
• Improve batch, lot and heat control of raw material
• Improve material security
• Monitor vendors with better cost and lot control
This program is an enhancement to the current system in place, which is well controlled and exceeds ISO standards. For instance, confirmation of incoming metal alloys with X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) is but one example of Protomatic's continuing commitment to the highest standards of quality assurance. And it's another way Protomatic strives for "Life-saving precision" in all aspects of its business.
Protomatic specializes in "Life-Saving Precision". The company resides in a 30,000 square-foot facility at 2125 Bishop Circle West in Dexter, Mich. Their areas of expertise include prototype machining and custom short-run precision CNC milling and turning. In addition to those services, Protomatic will customize, produce and assemble parts and systems for numerous industries and jobs. Industries served include medical, aerospace, automotive, military, and several other markets.