Press Release Summary:
- Feature low toxicity, low smoke and low gas conductivity to offer a wider range of high-performing solutions to cable manufacturers
- Expands the scope of applications, the new grades can be applied in thinner or colored cables in the market
- Offers halogen-free, flame retardant and is compliant with the standards required by the cable industry
Original Press Release:
Lubrizol Expands Halogen-free Flame-retardant ESTANE® ZHF TPU Portfolio
Cleveland, Ohio - October 30th, 2019 - Lubrizol Engineered Polymers has developed several new, halogen-free ESTANE® ZHF thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) grades that feature low toxicity, low smoke and low gas conductivity to offer a wider range of high-performing solutions to cable manufacturers. The design versatility of ESTANE® ZHF polymers expands the scope of applications the new grades can be applied in, including thinner or colored cables in the market. The new ZHF resins also meet needs for more sustainable alternatives because of their recyclability and improvement of processability in the extrusion of most cables.
New ESTANE® ZHF TPU products include:
- ESTANE® ZHF 90AT8 NAT 02: Ideal for robotic and communication cables.
- ESTANE® ZHF 58202 NAT 02: Best features are its easy processability and low gas conductivity combined with excellent flame-retardant performance
- ESTANE® ZHF 58370 NAT 01: It shows very easy processability and extremely low gas conductivity in compliance with IEC 62893 and EN 50620 Standards for electric vehicles’ (EV) charging cables.
- ESTANE® ZHF 58211 NAT 01: It combines very good thermal resistance and easy processability with excellent flame-retardant performance.
- ESTANE® ZHF 85AT8 MATT: It features a matt surface jointly with good flame-retardant performance and easy processability.
Fabio Morelli, New Business Development Senior Manager for Lubrizol Engineered Polymers in EMEA, announced that: “New emerging applications have demanding material requirements and international cable-related regulations are also becoming more stringent. As an example, some ESTANE® ZHF grades have been designed after a collaborative development process with key manufacturers of EV charging cables.” He adds that “new ESTANE® ZHF 58202 and 58370 grades have the standard features of a TPU (e.g. durability and good hydrolysis resistance), but also show very low conductivity levels. Lubrizol’s regulatory and legal expert team has ensured that the new ESTANE portfolio without halogenated flame retardants is compliant with the standards required by the cable industry.” Lubrizol recently launched a new video about the ESTANE® ZHF polymers portfolio.
About Lubrizol Engineered Polymers
With more than 60 years of experience and a worldwide network that includes formulation design, manufacturing, R&D and cutting-edge technologies, Lubrizol Engineered Polymers offers one of the broadest portfolios of engineered polymers available today including resins that are bio-based*, recyclable**, light stable, flame retardant, adhesive, chemically resistant, optically clear and fast cycling. Our technology crosses many industries and applications,
including surface protection, power and fluid systems, sports and recreation, wearable devices, electronics and automotive. For more information, visit www.lubrizol.com/engineered-polymers or contact [email protected].
*Bio-based content as certified in accordance with ASTM D-6866.
**Recyclability is based on access to a readily available standard recycling program that supports such materials. Products may not be available in all areas.
About The Lubrizol Corporation
The Lubrizol Corporation, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is a market-driven global company that combines complex, specialty chemicals to optimize the quality, performance and value of customers’ products while reducing their environmental impact. It is a leader at combining market insights with chemistry and application capabilities to deliver valuable solutions to customers in the global transportation, industrial and consumer markets. Lubrizol improves lives by acting as an essential partner in our customers’ success, delivering efficiency, reliability or wellness to their end users. Technologies include lubricant additives for engine oils, driveline and other transportation-related fluids, industrial lubricants, as well as additives for gasoline and diesel fuel. In addition, Lubrizol makes ingredients and additives for home care, personal care and skin care products and specialty materials encompassing polymer and coatings technologies, along with polymer-based pharmaceutical and medical device solutions.
With headquarters in Wickliffe, Ohio, Lubrizol owns and operates manufacturing facilities in 17 countries, as well as sales and technical offices around the world. Founded in 1928, Lubrizol has approximately 8,700 employees worldwide. Revenues for 2018 were $6.8 billion. For more information, visit Lubrizol.com.
+1 216 447-5697
The Lubrizol Corporation