Press Release Summary:
MU-8000V LASER EX CNC Machine enabled to cut unique parts in different sizes and shapes with the help of its laser metal deposition technology. Providing variable control of laser spot diameters ranging from 0.4 to 8.5 mm, unit’s LMD allows for combining and layering of different types of materials for three dimensional fabrication and cladding. Machine enables mid-process part inspection and material exchange.
Original Press Release:
Okuma Introduces the New MU-8000V LASER EX, Additive Technology, Super Multitasking CNC Machine
Next-generation, super multitasking CNC machine, combines traditional machining with laser metal deposition capabilities.
Okuma America Corporation introduces the new MU-8000V LASER EX multitasking CNC machine, combining the latest laser additive technology with subtractive manufacturing capabilities. It’s the ultimate process-intensive machine that enables complete part production on one machine.
The MU-8000V LASER EX revolutionizes production by implementing laser metal deposition (LMD) technology with the ability to cut unique parts of many different sizes and shapes. LMD supplies powder from nozzles and performs laser melting and bonding to parent material. This allows for various types of materials to be combined and layered in addition to the possibility of three-dimensional fabrication and cladding.
Parts can also be repaired and inspected throughout production, and an infinitely variable control of laser spot diameters (Ø0.4 to 8.5 mm) increase efficiency and resolution.
By implementing laser metal deposition (LMD) instead of laser metal fusion (LMF), Okuma’s MU-8000V LASER EX offers these advantages:
- Mid-process part inspection and material exchange
- Coolant use in work envelope
- Faster process than powder bed fusion
- Three-dimensional fabricating
Additional LASER EX series products will be introduced to the market in the future and will feature:
- Laser Hardening - Designed to work on carbon steel material. Heating by laser emission, with hardening by self-cooling. Case hardening is possible. Less warpage than with high-frequency or ﬂame hardening.
- Process-Intensive Turn Hardening and Grinding - Cutting and grinding is completed on a single CNC machine with no setup change. Uniform-width turn hardening using a high-output, stable laser. Case hardening on cylindrical surface with no uneven hardening and little warping.
- Resin Mold Repairs - All operations, from crack removal to ﬁnishing, on a single machine. Accommodates hard-to-cut and high-hardness materials.
The MU-8000V LASER EX delivers innovative machining excellence. For more information on Okuma’s super multitasking CNC machine visit https://www.okuma.com/laser-mu.
Okuma America Corporation is the U.S.-based sales and service affiliate of Okuma Corporation, a world leader in CNC (computer numeric control) machine tools, founded in 1898 in Nagoya, Japan. The company is the industry’s only single-source provider, with the CNC machine, drive, motors, encoders, and spindle all manufactured by Okuma. The company also designs its own CNC controls to integrate seamlessly with each machine tool’s functionality. In 2014 Okuma launched the Okuma App Store, the industry’s only centralized online marketplace for machine tool apps and related content. Along with its extensive distribution network (largest in the Americas), and Partners in THINC, Okuma is committed to helping users gain competitive advantage through the open possibilities of machine tools, today and into the future. For more information, visit http://www.okuma.com/americas.