Press Release Summary:
ULTRAWATTÂ® PowerGate(TM) System provides real-time remote or local access via Internet to lighting system control, monitoring, and energy cost verification. It utilizes UltraControl(TM) lighting circuit control unit and UltraNet Windows-format software, which has automatic calibration. Programmable UltraControl unit is available in 20-, 30- and 50-amp models for HID lighting applications, and in 20-amp models for fluorescent systems.
Original Press Release:
Introduces PowerGate Providing Up To 50 Percent Proven Energy Savings
ULTRAWATT® PowerGate(TM) System
The ULTRAWATT® PowerGate(TM) system provides customers with an energy-efficient lighting circuit power reduction technology and real-time remote or local access-via the Internet-to flexible lighting system control, monitoring and energy cost-savings verification.
The PowerGate system is comprised of the following:
* UltraControl(TM) (Lighting circuit control unit):
Installed between a circuit breaker and the lighting load to reduce the active power to the entire lighting circuit, cutting energy consumption by as much as 50 percent with minimal reduction in light output.
* UltraNet (software):
Windows-format software package and revenue-certified meters provide a Web-based, global remote access communications system, which delivers operational control over facility lighting energy use.
UltraNet software has a unique automatic calibration feature that allows users to pre-program the savings levels on the lighting control units for convenience and flexibility. Lighting circuit energy use can be pre-set to multiple energy saving levels according to time of day, day of week, daylight level or motion detection.
The programmable UltraControl unit is available in 20-, 30- and 50-amp models for HID* lighting applications and 20-amp models for fluorescent** systems in all worldwide voltage ratings:
* Significant energy cost reduction
* Internet communications and control capability
* Highest lumen efficiency of any circuit power reducer system
* Easy installation with existing lighting circuits
* Extremely high operating efficiency > 99%
* Extends life of ballast and lamp components
* Improves facility power quality
* Reduces air conditioning and/or refrigeration cooling energy use
* Meets UWCSA approvals and FCC Class A
* Maintains line current total harmonic distortion (THD) within American National Standards Institute (ANSI) ratings
* Individual lighting circuit applications
* Qualifies for utility rebates
* Surge protection with indicator
* Automatic bypass for fault or improper load
* No front panel controls (tamper-resistant)
* Virtually maintenance-free
* Standard one year warranty
* Not compatible with reactor ballasts
** May not be compatible with some active front-end electronic ballasts
ULTRAWAIT PowerGate Features, Page 2
With UltraNet, UltraControl units can be programmed, individually or as a group, to perform the following range of functions:
* On/Off scheduling of lighting operation
* Dual bi-level high/low savings levels can be preset for specific hours of operation
* 48-hour bypass mode following a group re-lamping
* Light Depreciation Compensation automatically compensates energy savings levels for the lumen depreciation curve throughout lamp life
* Curtailment-allows remote or local lighting circuit access to comply with utility curtailment requirements.
* Remote configuration allows the remote programming of control system options
* Motion (occupancy) sensor and light sensor inputs allow UltraControl units to shift between dual savings levels based on occupancy or daylight (daylight harvesting).
* Revenue-certified meters to provide on-line verifiable cost savings.
* Building operations can be customized using real-time data collection.
Local/remote alarming features:
* Loss of incoming power
* Bypass mode
* RTU communication failure
* Communication module unplugged
* UltraControl unit fault
* Lighting circuit failure
-Offers power reduction and control over facility lighting energy consumption-
Fort Myers, FL - February 6, 2002 - ULTRAWATT(SM), a leading provider of energy saving technology, announced today the launch of its PowerGate(TM) system that reduces lighting circuit power. This system enables commercial, industrial, retail and institutional users to control, monitor and verify facility lighting energy use (using data collected by the system), and adjust and reconfigure system settings and light levels -via the Internet-from anywhere in the world. ULTRAWATT® PowerGate(TM) installations have been tested and proven by a variety of utilities, municipalities, state governments and large industrial businesses.
Unlike autotransformer and wave chopper technologies that produce poor power quality and require more management, PowerGate's electronic, capacitor-based hardware (UltraControl(TM)) and software (UltraNet(SM)), allows organizations the capability to reduce energy use and lighting operational costs by up to 50 percent with HID and electronic fluorescent systems, with minimal reduction in light levels.
The PowerGate electronic power reduction system reduces energy consumption at the source of energy distribution-the lighting electrical panel-by regulating and managing electrical power from the incoming line without interfering with a company's other wiring, circuitry and energy levels. Through PowerGate, lighting circuit energy use can be pre-set to multiple energy savings levels based on time of day, day of the week, daylight level or motion detection.
"ULTRAWATT is confident in the savings that the PowerGate system offers its existing and potential clients," said Timothy Yablonowski, founder and CEO of ULTRAWATT. "The cost of energy to operate facility lighting systems accounts for up to 40 percent of a typical facility's energy bill. The opportunity to save energy and operating costs while significantly improving lighting quality, productivity and facility value makes a PowerGate lighting system upgrade a profitable investment."
Additional ULTRAWATT Benefits
* The PowerGate system qualifies for utility energy conservation rebates, where available
* Immediate positive cash flow generated by lighting energy cost savings of up to 50 percent
* Minimal downtime required to install the PowerGate system while a facility is being converted
* Total user control of energy consumption for lighting
* Optimization of energy use and lighting costs
* Verified metering and monitoring of lighting energy consumption
* System control flexibility for changing lighting needs and environmental conditions
* Increased shareholder value
The PowerGate system produces more lumen efficiency than any power reduction system available, and also improves facility power factor, while increasing the life expectancy of ballasts and lamps. Additionally, the PowerGate system's design and functionality can provide significant energy efficiency by harvesting natural daylight in selected areas of a building.
The PowerGate system is available in 20-, 30- and 50-amp models for HID lighting applications and 20-amp models for fluorescent systems in all worldwide voltage ratings. The line current Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) is maintained within American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standards.
The ULTRAWATT® PowerGate(TM) Frequently Asked Questions & Answers
1. How does the PowerGate(TM) system work?
The ULTRAWATT® PowerGate(TM) system achieves power reduction (kW) for lighting loads in a small, lightweight and reliable package, which can be easily installed with existing lighting circuits, resulting in minimal downtime. PowerGate's electronic, capacitor-based technology reduces voltage to the lighting system while shifting the line current to lead the line voltage. This phase shift creates a pronounced leading power factor that reduces or cancels the dominant lagging power factor common to most facilities. This power factor improvement helps the utility deliver energy to a facility more efficiently, which may generate additional cost savings through utility energy conservation incentives.
The UltraNet(SM) software has an automatic calibration feature that allows users to pre-program the savings levels on the UltraControl(TM) units for convenience and flexibility. Lighting circuit energy use can be pre-set to multiple energy savings levels according to time of day, day of week, daylight level or motion detection. Auto-calibration eliminates human error, labor costs and guarantees efficient and accurate lighting operation automatically.
The system does not require exotic data communication lines. It relies on a single telephone line for a comprehensive range of controls, adjustments and support.
2. How much savings can be experienced with the PowerGate system?
The cost of energy to operate facility lighting systems accounts for up to 40 percent of a typical facility's energy bill. The opportunity to save energy and operating costs while significantly improving lighting quality, productivity and facility value makes a lighting system upgrade a very profitable investment. Companies that utilize the PowerGate system have the capability to reduce energy use and lighting operational costs by up to 50 percent with HID and electronic fluorescent systems and up to 30 percent on magnetic fluorescent lighting.
3. With the PowerGate system, are rate incentives provided through utility companies?
Yes, where available. With PowerGate, companies can participate in utility-sponsored curtailment programs, which offer rate incentives for customer energy conservation measures. When the utility notifies the customer to curtail, a click of the computer mouse can turn off lights and/or switch to preset energy savings levels. The configuration of the curtailment feature is decided upon through agreement with the utility. The technology's ability to improve power factor, which allows a utility to deliver energy to a building more efficiently, may also qualify for energy conservation rebates.
4. How is the PowerGate system accessed?
The PowerGate system, accessed through the software and revenue-certified meters, provides a Web-based, global remote access communications system, delivering operational control over facility lighting and energy use. The Windows-format software package is a fully automated lighting management system, providing on-line verifiable cost savings, real-time data on energy use and system monitoring.
5. How is the PowerGate system installed?
The unit is installed between a circuit breaker and the lighting load to reduce the active power to the entire lighting circuit, cutting energy consumption with minimal reduction in light output.
6. Is the PowerGate system easy to install?
Yes. The PowerGate system is easily installed on the existing lighting circuits of a facility. Since each lighting circuit will have its own separate UltraControl unit, the power feeding each circuit will only be off for a very short time while the remaining circuits are still operating normally. With all of the required work for the installation being performed in the electrical equipment area and generally out of site from the people in the facility, the installation can be performed during normal hours with virtually no interruption of the customer's facility.
7. Does the PowerGate system interfere with the corporation's other electronic circuitry?
No. Because the PowerGate system is installed between the circuit breaker and the lighting load to reduce the active power to the entire lighting circuit, it does not interfere with other electronic wiring, circuits and energy levels. Line current Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) levels are within American National Standards Institute (ANSI) ratings.
8. How many PowerGate UltraControl models are there?
The programmable and easily installed UltraControl unit is available in 20-, 30-, and 50-amp models for HID lighting applications and 20-amp models for fluorescent systems in all worldwide voltage ratings.