Press Release Summary:
Maxim Battery Fuel-Gauges consist of MAX17262 (1.5 mm × 1.5 mm) and MAX17263 (3 mm × 3 mm) models with a quiescent current of 5.2μA and 8.2μA respectively. The MAX17263 unit comes with 3-to-12 LEDs that indicate battery or system status and the integrated pushbutton LED controller reduces battery drain. The MAX17262 gauge can measure up to 3.1 A and is suitable for batteries of 100mAhr to 6Ahr capacity. They provide time-to-full, SOC (1 percent) and mAhr data.
Original Press Release:
Maxim Battery Fuel-Gauge ICs Deliver Lowest Operating Current to Maximize Run-Time for Mobile and Portable Devices
MAX17262 with internal current sensing and MAX17263 with LED control deliver accurate battery state-of-charge information
SAN JOSE, Calif., Aug. 28, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Designers of lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery-powered mobile and portable devices such as wearables, electric bicycles, power tools and internet of things (IoT) products can improve the end-user experience by extending run-time and delivering the most accurate battery state-of-charge (SOC) data in the industry with the MAX17262 single-cell and MAX17263 single-/multi-cell fuel-gauge ICs from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM). The MAX17262 features just 5.2μA quiescent current, the lowest level in its class, along with integrated current sensing. The MAX17263 features just 8.2μA quiescent current and drives 3-to-12 LEDs to indicate battery or system status, useful in rugged applications that do not feature a display.
- Details about MAX17262: www.maximintegrated.com/products/MAX17262
- Details about MAX17263: www.maximintegrated.com/products/MAX17263
- Hi-res image: http://bit.ly/MAX17262-MAX17263_Image
Designers of electronic products powered by small Li-ion batteries struggle to extend device run-times to meet user expectations. Factors such as cycling, aging and temperature can degrade Li-ion battery performance over time. Inaccurate SOC data from an unreliable fuel gauge forces the designer to increase the battery size or compromise the run-time by prematurely shutting the system down, even if there is usable energy available. Such inaccuracies can contribute to a poor user experience due to abrupt shutdown or an increase in device charging frequency. Designers also strive to get their products to market quickly due to competitive demands. Maxim's two new fuel-gauge ICs help designers meet end-user performance expectations and time-to-market challenges.
The MAX17262 and MAX17263 combine traditional coulomb counting with the novel ModelGauge™ m5 EZ algorithm for high-accuracy battery SOC without requiring battery characterization. With their low quiescent current, both fuel-gauge ICs minimize current consumption during long periods of device standby time, extending battery life in the process. Both also have a dynamic power feature that enables the highest possible system performance without draining the battery. In the MAX17262, an integrated RSENSE current resistor eliminates the need to use a larger discrete part, simplifying and reducing the board design. In the MAX17263, the integrated, pushbutton LED controller further minimizes battery drain and alleviates the microcontroller from having to manage this function.
- High Accuracy: The ICs provide accurate time-to-empty, time-to-full, SOC (1 percent) and mAhr data across a wide range of load conditions and temperatures, using the proven ModelGauge m5 algorithm
- Fast Time to Market: The ModelGauge m5 EZ algorithm eliminates the time-consuming battery-characterization and calibration process
- Extended Run-Time: Quiescent current of just 5.2μA for the MAX17262 and 15/8.2μA for MAX17263 extends run-time
- Integration: Internal current-sense resistor (voltage and coulomb counting hybrid) in MAX17262 reduces overall footprint and BOM cost, eases board layout. It measures up to 3.1A and is suitable for batteries of 100mAhr to 6Ahr capacity. For applications using higher currents or battery capacity outside this range, the MAX17263, or the MAX17260 released recently, can be used with an external current sense resistor of any size
- Small size: At 1.5mm × 1.5mm IC size, the MAX17262 implementation is 30 percent smaller in size compared to using a discrete sense resistor with an alternate fuel gauge; at 3mm × 3mm, MAX17263 is the smallest in its class for lithium-ion-powered devices
- LED Support: The single-/multi-cell MAX17263 also drives LEDs to indicate battery status on a pushbutton press or system status on system microcontroller commands
- "In a push to make their products more user friendly, consumer IoT device manufacturers look for solutions that are highly integrated to reduce design size," said Raghu Raj Singh, lead semiconductor equipment analyst for Technavio. "Anything that extends the operating time of the device by minimizing battery drain will be viewed as a boon for these developers. Maxim's fuel-gauge ICs are ideally suited to address both needs."
- "With these industry-leading ICs, Maxim solves many of the conflicting and difficult battery-management challenges faced by designers of portable products," said Bakul Damle, director of business management, Mobile Solutions at Maxim Integrated. "Maxim fuel-gauge ICs empower design innovation that leads to longer run-times for mobile and portable devices through industry-leading features and functionality."
Availability and Pricing
- The MAX17262 is available at Maxim's website for $0.95 (1000 pieces, FOB USA); the MAX17263 is also on the site for $1.49(1,000 pieces). Both parts are also available via select authorized distributors.
- The MAX17262XEVKIT evaluation kit is available for $60; the MAX17263GEVKIT is available for $60
- Support includes the MAX1726x ModelGauge m5 EZ User Guide and Software Implementation Guide, as well as Linux drivers.
About Maxim Integrated
Maxim Integrated develops innovative analog and mixed-signal products and technologies to make systems smaller and smarter, with enhanced security and increased energy efficiency. We are empowering design innovation for our automotive, industrial, healthcare, mobile consumer and cloud data center customers to deliver industry-leading solutions that help change the world. Learn more at https://www.maximintegrated.com.