LP Listing Ensures Efficient Operation in High-Power PoE Applications
HIGHLAND HEIGHTS, KENTUCKY — General Cable (NYSE: BGC) is pleased to announce that eight additional GenSPEED® Brand Data Communications cables have now acquired Underwriters Laboratories' (UL) LP listing for efficient operation in high-power Power over Ethernet (PoE) applications. General Cable's GenSPEED Brand cables were the first in the industry to achieve UL's new listing, and a total of eleven GenSPEED Brand cables have now earned the rating.
Over the past decade, PoE has become a viable powering option for a wide range of applications. Anticipating future standards, device manufacturers are pushing the envelope and designing more sophisticated equipment that demands increased power. The new LP listing, which stands for Limited Power, provides a simple way to ensure installations are future-proofed against the ever-increasing PoE standards, not susceptible to performance issues caused by heat generation. It accounts for large bundle sizes, high ambient temperatures and other issues related to environmental effects such as enclosed spaces or conduits.
The new LP listing is denoted as a suffix and is followed by the ampacity rating of the particular cable. Following is the full list of GenSPEED cables that have been certified LP arranged by their respective rating and the wattage they support when using 50 volts over four pairs:
• UL Listed CMR-LP (0.5A) supporting up to 100 watts
- GenSPEED® 6 Category 6 F/UTP (ScTP) (Riser)
- GenSPEED® 6500 Premium Category 6 (Riser)
- GenSPEED® 10,000 Category 6A F/UTP (ScTP) (Riser)
- GenSPEED® 10 MTP™ Category 6A (Riser)
• UL Listed CMP-LP (0.5A) supporting up to 100 watts
- GenSPEED® 6 Category 6 (Plenum)
- GenSPEED® 6000 Enhanced Category 6 (Plenum)
• UL Listed CMP-LP (0.6A) supporting up to 120 watts
- GenSPEED® 6500 Premium Category 6 (Plenum)
- GenSPEED® 6 Category 6 (Plenum, 22 AWG)
• UL Listed CMP-LP (0.7A) supporting up to 140 watts
- GenSPEED® 6 Category 6 F/UTP (ScTP) (Plenum)
- GenSPEED® 10,000 Category 6A F/UTP (ScTP) (Plenum)
- GenSPEED® 10 MTP™ Thin-Profile Category 6A (Plenum)
"We are pleased to expand our list of cables that have achieved UL's LP listing," said Scott Brown, Director of Technology, Communications Products, General Cable. "Working with UL Wire Cable to have our cables tested and earn the appropriate LP rating will help our customers choose the right cables to ensure the future performance of their systems."
General Cable manufactures a wide range of high performance GenSPEED® Brand copper data communications cables and NextGen® Brand fiber optic cables. Visit us on the Web at www.generalcable.com. General Cable … Delivering solutions that keep you connected.
General Cable (NYSE:BGC), a Fortune 500 Company, is a global leader in the development, design, manufacture, marketing and distribution of aluminum, copper and fiber optic wire and cable products for the energy, construction, industrial, specialty and communications markets. General Cable is one of the largest wire and cable manufacturing companies in the world, serving customers through a network of manufacturing facilities in core markets with worldwide sales representation and distribution. Visit our Web site at www.GeneralCable.com.
Director Marketing Communications