Key sealing products and technologies on display at IFPE 2014
LAS VEGAS – When a major fluid handling company came to Freudenberg-NOK Sealing Technologies Simrit (Freudenberg-NOK) in need of a complex valve sealing solution, the company was up for the challenge. The required innovation needed to withstand extremely aggressive environmental conditions, while also meeting a strict size specification.
Freudenberg-NOK development engineers partnered with the customer to develop a valve that uses the company's Simriz® Perfluoroelastomer (FFKM) material bonded to a thermoplastic. By utilizing advanced modeling techniques, the components were optimized to balance performance with size and material characteristics. The process allowed engineers to reduce the size of the valve to within a very tight size envelope while extending expected valve operational life.
"Our focus at Freudenberg-NOK is to listen to our customers and then apply the knowledge gained from working across multiple industries, global markets and world forums to develop the products and technologies that specifically address their needs," said Bob Vasel, global segment director, Fluid Technologies, Freudenberg-NOK. "In today's competitive market, all of our customers are looking for ways to keep their equipment running longer, faster and at higher temperatures and pressures. As a result, we've developed a suite of products to meet these needs and extend lifecycles."
To help customers' equipment perform in today's extreme environments, Freudenberg-NOK is showcasing a wide range of fluid management products and technologies at the 2014 International Exposition for Power Transmission (IFPE) show, including:
• HDP 330 High-Pressure Piston Seal – a special polyamide seal that withstands the most extreme pressures (up to 800 bar) and allows for use of less precise cylinder liner surfaces, which can cut cylinder production costs;
• Friction Piston Seal T-ring (TR) 200 – an innovative sealing geometry for the smooth operation of pneumatic cylinders with significantly increased efficiency; reduces friction by up to 50 percent compared to conventional systems, the Low Friction Piston Seal TR 200 shows minimal wear even after 15 million cycles;
• D-Jack Seal – a friction-optimized seal that fits in existing standard sealing grooves to provide more consistent performance; the combined elastomer / polytetrafluoroethylene system offers low breakaway force, improved durability and temperature resistance for dry running piston type systems such as air brakes or pneumatics;
• TPU Diaphragms – diaphragms featuring a thermoplastic polyurethane design that's capable of tripling a diaphragm's lifespan and considerably reducing lifespan-related cost;
• Composite Diaphragms – diaphragms featuring pure or modified PTFE foil coverings permanently affixed to the diaphragm have proven to be highly effective for shielding aggressive media;
Medium Pressure / High Speed Oil Seals – oils seals specifically designed to handle medium and high pressure applications offer one-piece construction, small load rise as a function of pressure, and improved seal life span due to improved lubrication at the sealing lip;
• Low-temperature Fluoroelastomer (FKM) – a special FKM compound developed to handle temperatures as low as -40 C and is also fuel resistant; and
• High-temperature FFKM Diaphragm – an unique diaphragm design for fluid handling applications that replaces the traditional polytetrafluoroethylene foil with a FFKM layer that is bonded onto FKM pump diaphragms to improve stroke length, reliability and durability in select applications.
About Freudenberg-NOK Sealing Technologies
Freudenberg-NOK Sealing Technologies is the Americas joint venture between Freudenberg and Co. in Germany and NOK Corp. in Japan. Freudenberg-NOK is a leading producer – through its Automotive, Merkel, Process Seals and Simrit sales channels – of advanced sealing technologies for a variety of markets including: aerospace; agriculture; appliance; automotive; construction; diesel engine; energy; food and beverage; heavy industry; and pharmaceutical. Founded in 1989 under the legal name Freudenberg-NOK General Partnership, Freudenberg-NOK is headquartered in Plymouth, Mich. and operates more than 20 facilities across the Americas. For additional information, please visit www.fnst.com.
Office: +1 734 354 7373