PLYMOUTH, Mich.- Freudenberg-NOK Sealing Technologies (FNST) is showcasing a portfolio of products that enhance the safety, durability and performance of electric vehicles today at the 2012 Battery Show in Novi, Mich.
FNST, one of the largest producers of elastomeric seals and custom molded parts, is pursuing advanced electric vehicle technologies as part of its commitment to sustainable products and processes. FNST is displaying a variety of components at the show that leverage the expertise and products of its own divisions and other Freudenberg companies including Freudenberg-NOK Mechatronics and Freudenberg Nonwovens.
"We are working in collaboration with our customers to ensure that electric vehicle technologies evolve to the next level of safety and reliability," said Dr. Luis Lorenzo, vice president, Advanced Product Engineering, FNST. "One of our key drivers is to develop alternative technological solutions that address the functional requirements of the system and the cost effectiveness of different approaches."
With operations in the Americas, Europe and Asia-Pacific markets, FNST can tap a vast network of chemistry, design, product engineering and manufacturing experts to provide solutions for the global vehicle electrification industry. The company uses nearly two dozen polymer families and more than 2,000 raw materials to provide premium battery protection technologies, including battery pack gaskets, cell frame sealing, plug-and-seal technologies, compensation elements and liquid detectors.
Among the technologies and products the company is displaying at The Battery Show:
· Overpressure Valve: For use in large-format lithium ion battery systems.The valve is designed to maintain its seal during normal pressure variations due to heating/cooling of the battery. The seal releases if internal battery pack pressure exceeds predetermined limit and prevents potential battery system damage.
· Housing Gasket: A family of solutions for serial and prototype automotive lithium ion battery applications. Gaskets are re-openable for battery maintenance and optimized for sealing profile, homogeneous forces and tolerance compensation.
· Plug & Seal: This elastomer-coated tube with a sealing and shock absorbing geometry works for applications across several industries. It accommodates a host of diameters, lengths, angles and end geometries, and can survive extremes of temperature, pressure and chemical environment.
· Cell Frame Seal: A mounting structure for pouch type cells that both holds and stabilizes the cell. It also provides an additional sealing function for the sealed seam of the pouch, equalizes thickness tolerances of the cells, and provides additional mechanical fixing for electric connectors. The frame features passages for directing battery gasses in the case of a cell rupture.
· Breathable Element: Breathable components produced from Freudenberg nonwoven materials that optimize the ability of the battery system to repel water, oil, and dirt contamination. The structure of the fabric creates a "deep filter" affect in the battery unit that ensures the exchange of gases even when exposed to environmental contaminants.
· Pressure Compensation: Freudenberg is developing several products to address the duty cycle pressure variations within a battery pack.Whether using a sealed pressure compensator or a hygroscopic filter unit, these products allow expansion and contraction of air within the battery pack without introducing additional moisture.
"FNST engineers work on-site with the auto manufacturers, so our teams have been integrated into the vehicle electrification development process," said Juergen Mall, market segment manager, E-Mobility, FNST. "We offer products capable of performing over a broad range of temperatures and environments, and our customers have come to rely on our expertise in areas like material testing and product validation."
Freudenberg-NOK Sealing Technologies' advanced battery components and technologies are on display at The Battery Show booth B504.
About Freudenberg-NOK Sealing Technologies
Freudenberg-NOK Sealing Technologies is the Americas joint venture between Freudenberg and Company in Germany and NOK Corporation in Japan. Founded in 1989 under the legal name Freudenberg-NOK General Partnership, Freudenberg-NOK Sealing Technologies is a leading producer of advanced sealing and elastomeric technologies for a variety of industries including automotive, aerospace, appliance, diesel engine, agriculture, construction, heavy industry, and alternate energy.
Freudenberg-NOK Sealing Technologies is headquartered in Plymouth, Mich., and has facilities throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, Brazil and Malaysia. With annual revenues approaching $US 1 billion, the company employed approximately 4,700 people in 2011. For additional information, please visit www.freudenberg-nok.com.
Freudenberg-NOK Sealing Technologies is part of the Freudenberg & Co. Group of Germany. Freudenberg & Co. is a family of companies specializing in seals and vibration control technology, nonwovens, filtration, lubricants and release agents and other specialty business areas. The Freudenberg Group generated sales of more than $7.8 billion and had 37,000 employees in 2011. For additional information, please visit www.freudenberg.com.
SOURCE Freudenberg-NOK Sealing Technologies
CONTACT: Cheryl Eberwein, Freudenberg-NOK Sealing Technologies, +1-734-354-5373; M: +1-248-767-1068, Fax: +1-734-451-0043, email@example.com
Web Site: www.freudenberg.com