Press Release Summary:
Nimbula Director v2.0 brings benefits of EC2-style cloud to VMware customers with its support of ESXi hypervisor and will support VMware's Cloud Foundry PaaS solution. Users can orchestrate provisioning of complex applications and have system monitor and manage applications over their lifetimes. While IaaS networking feature set includes DHCP, NAT, firewall, and VLAN services, functionality can be augmented by third parties who can provide network, data, PaaS, or other cloud services.
Original Press Release:
Nimbula Unveils Director 2.0, Delivers Amazon EC2-Like Functionality to VMware Users
SANTA CLARA, CA - Today at Cloud Connect, Nimbula, the Cloud Operating System Company, introduced Nimbula Director 2.0 which dramatically enhances its public, private and hybrid cloud capabilities for enterprises, SaaS companies, governments and service providers. The new release introduces groundbreaking new functionality requested by Nimbula's growing customer base and advances Nimbula's technology vision.
"Nimbula Director 2.0 is an important milestone and huge leap forward for us and our customers," said Chris Pinkham, Co-Founder and CEO. "We continue to deliver the best-in-class operational experience with easy install and seamless management of the infrastructure and have added more unique capabilities to our growing list of innovative features."
Nimbula is announcing enhancements in Nimbula 2.0 on five critical fronts:
1. Extensibility: Nimbula Director is the industry's first truly extensible cloud platform. Its functionality can be augmented by third parties who can provide network, data, PaaS or other cloud services. Those services and their custom logic are embedded into the cloud, are run and managed as if they were written by Nimbula and inherit all of Nimbula Director's high availability, multi-tenancy and network security functionality. Services are therefore easy to integrate, inherit a wide range of management functionality and are presented seamlessly to the tenants of the cloud.
2. VMware Support: Nimbula Director is the first Cloud OS to bring the benefits of an EC2-style cloud to VMware customers with its support of the ESXi hypervisor. In addition, Nimbula Director will support VMware's Cloud Foundry PaaS solution, and Nimbula is now a member of VMware's Technology Alliance Program (TAP).
3. Application Management: Nimbula Director is extending its management from the control plane up into the end user application space. Customers can now orchestrate the provisioning of complex applications and have the system monitor and manage applications over their lifetimes. As a result, customer applications become as reliable as the Nimbula control plane without any need to alter the application.
4. DNS and VPN services: This release rounds out the IaaS networking feature set, which also includes DHCP, NAT, firewall and VLAN services, providing a complete set of networking services required for running real world applications. Nimbula Director makes network configuration completely self-service, decreasing provisioning times and lowering the burden from the IT staff of enterprises and service providers alike.
5. Enterprise Readiness: Nimbula has furthered its enterprise readiness lead releasing the only production ready cloud infrastructure solution by, among other things, introducing a scalable distributed backend database, using an SELinux base for its node software, and introducing more enterprise systems management functionality and adding quota management as well.
"Nimbula Director impressed us with its security model, which was a key reason for choosing it for our cloud deployment," said Matt Regan, Program Manager at Solers, an information technology solutions provider for the United States government. "The software already had a truly unique advanced permissioning and firewall functionality, and it is great to see more security related advances in this new version."
"After evaluating several cloud platforms, we found that Nimbula Director was the only one that had the implementation excellence, ease of management, reliability and elasticity to help us with our public and private cloud projects," said Sofiane Ammar, Founder and CEO at VirtualScale, a system integrator focused on building public and private cloud projects. "Their implementation is second to none, and we are excited to see how they are growing their capabilities and adding new functionality."
Availability and Pricing
Nimbula Director 2.0 is currently in beta and is expected to be generally available in March 2012. The new release is a free update for existing users. For deployments on infrastructure up to and including 40 cores, Nimbula Director is licensed free of charge. A paid support option is available for users of the free version. For deployments on infrastructure more than 40 cores, Nimbula Director is licensed on an annual subscription basis and includes both maintenance and support services. For more details on pricing, please contact Nimbula by visiting: nimbula.com/company/contact/.
Founded by the team that developed the industry-leading Amazon EC2, Nimbula delivers a comprehensive cloud operating system that uniquely combines the scalability and operational efficiencies of the public cloud with the control, security and trust of today's most advanced data centers. Nimbula was named one of the most promising startups in The Wall Street Journal and was dubbed "one of three cloud properties ready to burst" in Fortune. Nimbula is headquartered in Mountain View, California. For more information, visit nimbula.com.