Press Release Summary:
While providing path for continuous technology evolution, ExperionÂ® Process Knowledge System Orion helps industrial plants improve project execution and commissioning, modernize control system infrastructure,Â and expand standards compliance and interoperability. Distributed control systemÂ offersÂ automated device commissioning, integration of electrical systems with process control, integrated multivariable APC, and Virtualization Premium Platform with fault tolerance.
Original Press Release:
Honeywell's Latest Experion PKS Orion Release Further Optimizes Project Execution and Performance
Industrial Internet of Things Capabilities Include Secure, Cloud-based Engineering to Improve Efficiency, Save Time and Minimize Risk
HOUSTON – Honeywell (NYSE:HON) Process Solutions (HPS) today launched its newest version of Experion® Process Knowledge System (PKS) Orion, featuring advanced Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) capabilities. The new solution will help industrial plants further optimize automation project execution, reduce loop commissioning time, minimize operational risk and protect intellectual investments while keeping current with today’s technology.
In a competitive environment, industrial firms must find ways to implement new automation solutions quickly, efficiently, securely and cost-effectively. Experion PKS Orion now employs an expanded portfolio of innovative solutions for improving project execution and commissioning, modernizing control system infrastructure, expanding standards compliance and interoperability, and providing a path for continuous technology evolution.
“The new Experion PKS Orion release further optimizes LEAP™ project execution in our most advanced, open and secure control system,” said Jack Gregg, Experion product Marketing director for HPS. “Key enhancements, such as automated device commissioning, dramatically improve engineering efficiency, while keeping automation systems off the critical path. Experion PKS continues our 40-year control system evolution coordinated with customer input to preserve safety, security, and intellectual investments while enabling users to stay current with modern technology.”
Experion PKS Orion’s major enhancements include:
• Automated device commissioning: Essential to LEAP project execution, auto device commissioning automatically binds control configuration engineered in Honeywell’s secure cloud with field devices connected to any Universal I/O (UIO) channel, reducing loop commissioning time from hours to minutes.
• Integration of electrical systems with process control: Experion PKS Orion is the first distributed control system to be used for electrical system control and management, including support for IEC 61850 electrical management.
• Multivariable APC in the controller: Experion Profit Controller moves multivariable predictive control out of the Microsoft operating system and into the Experion Control Execution Environment (CEE), to run directly in the C300 controller and Application Control Environment (ACE) node.
• Support of all wireless standards, including WirelessHART®: The latest Experion PKS Orion release offers numerous enhancements to its OneWireless™ Network. The updates provides a unique solutions to support ISA 100 Wilreless, WirelessHART and Wi-Fi on a single wireless network.
• Next generation Virtualization Premium Platform with fault tolerance: Fault tolerance is a highlight of the Experion PKS virtualization environment and a crucial aspect of LEAP. It optimizes high-availability technology by providing continuous protection for Virtual Machines (VMs) in case of a host failure.
• Superior IIoT-Ready PLC Solution: Experion PKS Orion further supports Honeywell’s IIoT-ready initiative by leveraging a common HMI plus LEAP™ project execution for Honeywell’s new ControlEdge™ PLC. This provides a superior solution with secure connectivity and tight integration to devices from multiple vendors - resulting in easy configuration, efficient operations, and reduced maintenance.
• Automated third-party skid integration via SCADA: Automated skid integration applies our LEAP lean automation project solution to PLC integration. Enhanced third-party integration capabilities require less effort to validate Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) Interfaces – reducing rework and retesting when a package program is modified, lessening schedule risk for late changes, and eliminating misalignment of configuration.
Other important Experion PKS Orion release features include: Universal Remote Modular Cabinets, safety critical alarms, C300 controller and ACE updates, optimized UIO-II modules, improved wireless access and identity management, enhanced Profibus® data collection, new Ethernet Interface Module (EIM) technology, support of Ethernet IP, upgraded SCADA/Remote Terminal Unit (RTU) integration, and expanded on-process migration solutions.
Honeywell’s IIoT portfolio of technologies is helping manufacturers leverage data to operate their plants more safely and efficiently. Honeywell’s IIoT solutions are also helping reduce unplanned downtime and off-spec products by building IIoT ecosystems that leverage data, advanced analytics and deep domain knowledge. To learn more about Honeywell’s IIoT solutions, go to www.hwll.co/IIoT.
For more information, please visit www.honeywellprocess.com/pks. To learn more about project efficiency with Experion PKS Orion, please visit this page or download a whitepaper about LEAP here.
Honeywell Process Solutions (www.honeywellprocess.com) is a pioneer in automation control, instrumentation and services for the oil and gas; refining; pulp and paper; industrial power generation; chemicals and petrochemicals; biofuels; life sciences; and metals, minerals and mining industries. It is also a leader in providing software solutions and instrumentation that help manufacturers find value and competitive advantage in digital transformation through the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT). Process Solutions is part of Honeywell’s Performance Materials and Technologies strategic business group, which also includes Honeywell UOP (www.uop.com), a leading international supplier and licensor of process technology, catalysts, adsorbents, equipment, and consulting services to the petroleum refining, petrochemical, and gas processing industries.
Honeywell (www.honeywell.com) is a Fortune 100 diversified technology and manufacturing leader, serving customers worldwide with aerospace products and services; control technologies for buildings, homes, and industry; turbochargers; and performance materials. For more news and information on Honeywell, please visit www.honeywell.com/newsroom.