Press Release Summary:
Vertica Analytic Database v4.0 offers in-database analytics such as SQL-99 window functions that enable financial and telecom applications to perform analytics in SQL. Workload management features enable users to manage complex mixed query workloads, while Web-based administration tools integrate backup and restore and minimize recovery time from disk failures. Product is also Unicode-capable, enabling global applications with international datasets, collations, and locales.
Original Press Release:
Vertica Broadens Reach of Its Industry Leading Analytic Database with Version 4.0
LAS VEGAS - Vertica announced today at the TDWI World Conference a major new release of the ultra-fast Vertica Analytic Database. Vertica 4.0 includes new features that give enterprises orders of magnitude faster performance than traditional databases while extending these speed gains to a wider range of markets and business users.
What's new in 4.0:
- Cutting-edge in-database analytics including SQL-99 window functions
and new patent-pending time-series and sessionization capabilities
that enable financial and telecom applications to perform
sophisticated analytics in SQL without the need for specialized
products or programming.
- Workload management features that enable customers to manage complex
mixed query workloads to best meet business priorities.
- Fully Unicode capable, enabling global applications with international
data sets, collations and locales.
- Users can easily deploy with no prior knowledge of columnar databases.
Patent-pending next generation database designer with powerful yet
simple UI makes query performance and storage optimization simple.
- New Web-based administration tools with Integrated Backup-and-Restore,
Durable Snapshots and Super Fast recovery from disk failures.
- Orders of magnitude better performance than traditional analytic
database systems and 30-40 percent faster query performance than
previous versions of Vertica with better resource utilization based on
new patent-pending Optimizer and Execution Engine.
- Automatic speed up on bulk and trickle loads with 4.0 ODBC and JDBC
drivers (30 percent faster than previous versions of Vertica).
- Intelligent trickle loader leverages knowledge of load patterns and
partitioning to reduce storage footprint and administration costs.
- External procedures enabling tighter integration with computing
solutions like Hadoop.
- Fastest growing ecosystem with new Informatica Powercenter 8.6
optimized plug-in along with continued support and planned
certification with existing partners including: Cloudera, IBM/Cognos,
JasperSoft, MicroStrategy, SyncSort, SAP/Business Objects, Streambase,
Tableau, Talend and others.
What customers and partners are saying about Vertica 4.0:
"With over 40 million players, 3TB of new data a day and 230 nodes spread across two clusters Zynga's columnar data warehouse from Vertica is no analytical windup toy," said Ken Rudin, VP of Analytics, Zynga, Inc.
"Together, Vertica and Cloudera are tackling some of the biggest data problems in financial services, communications, life sciences and Web-service organizations," said Mike Olson, CEO Cloudera. "The release of version 4.0 is an exciting step forward in allowing our customers to make meaningful discoveries using all of their data, complex and structured, regardless of volume. Combined, our platforms are allowing companies to perform critical applications such as financial and risk modeling and real time log analysis faster and more cost effectively than ever before possible."
Vertica: established leader in new wave of analytic databases
- Unlike retrofitted systems, Vertica is a "true" columnar database -
designed from the ground up to combine both columnar storage and
execution - vs. "add-on" approaches that are columnar for storage
- Recent IDC research (announced in a 2/12/10 news release) shows
that at the current rate of development and adoption, it is likely
that within five years most data warehouses will be stored in a
- Vertica now has over 120 customers - more MPP columnar implementations
than all other vendors combined.
- Vertica provides the fastest real-time access to your data with
customers routinely loading over 30 billion records per day, equaling
multiple terabytes of raw data per day.
- Vertica runs next generation analytic systems at many of the world's
biggest financial services, communications, Internet, healthcare and
- Vertica FlexStore(TM) is the only true enterprise-ready MPP columnar
database that enables you to incorporate SSD, flash, and other future
solid-state memory technologies to automatically store and accelerate
the most performance critical data.
- Vertica is the only database that is flexible enough to run on
industry standard hardware with direct attached storage or EMC, HP and
other SANs, VMWare and the cloud.
- Vertica provides more than 10x price performance relative to
traditional RDBMS alternatives.
For more information:
- If you are an ISV, find out about embedded Vertica solutions at
- If you are an existing Vertica customer, sign up for our Beta program
- Become a Vertica partner at http://www.vertica.com/partners.
Vertica Systems is a true columnar analytic database management system that combines columnar storage with execution running on industry-standard hardware. Co-founded by database pioneer Dr. Michael Stonebraker, Vertica has developed column-oriented analytic database technology with an MPP architecture that lets companies of any size store and query very large databases orders of magnitude faster and more affordably than other solutions. The Vertica Analytic Database is available as software only, as a hardware-based appliance, as a virtual appliance on VMware or online as a cloud computing solution. The technology's unmatched speed, scalability, flexibility and ease of use helps Vertica's 120+ customers including JP Morgan Chase, Verizon, Mozilla, Comcast, Level(3) Communications and Vonage capitalize on business opportunities in real time. Vertica is headquartered in Billerica, Mass. For more information, visit the company's Web site at www.vertica.com/.
Web Site: http://www.vertica.com/