Receive industry and products news from the market categories that matter to you most.
Stay up to date on industry news and trends, product announcements and the latest innovations.
Product News: Construction Equipment and Supplies
Crawler Dozers meet EPA Tier 4 Interim regulations.
Press Release Summary:
Sep 11, 2012 - With operating weights from 39,099-41,138 lb, D61-23 crawler dozers push with net 168 hp at 2,200 rpm. Track-on-ground standard (EX) and low ground pressure (PX) models are available that offer flotation and weight distribution options to meet application requirements. KOMTRAX technology wirelessly sends machine operating information to secure website for analysis, and full guarding package, hydraulic winch, and other attachments are available.
Original Press Release
Komatsu America Corp. Launches New D61-23 Crawler Dozers
Press release date: Sep 05, 2012
Rolling Meadows, IL - Komatsu America Corp. today introduced its new line of D61-23 crawler dozers that were developed with extensive customer input. Utilizing this invaluable customer feedback, Komatsu America has produced a crawler dozer that is smarter, more productive, more owner- and operator-focused and that offers lower owning and operating costs. Using its popular D51-22 as a design starting point, Komatsu refined the dozer design to meet EPA Tier 4 Interim regulations while providing more owner- and operator-focused features, all bundled in a larger 130 to 160 HP package that pushes productivity and efficiency to new levels.
New longer track-on-ground standard (EX) and low ground pressure (PX) models are available to offer customers flotation and weight distribution options that best match their applications. Operating weight ranges from 39,099 lbs. to 41,138 lbs. depending on the configuration. The new models push with a net 168 HP at 2200 rpm.
Developed as a versatile multi-tool, the D61-23 is designed for a wide variety of applications, including land clearing, grading, forestry and site work. A full guarding package, hydraulic winch and other attachments are available for easy customization to meet specific customer requirements.
The D61-23 crawler dozer is equipped with the latest KOMTRAX technology, which is fully integrated with Komatsu's Tier 4 technology and sends machine operating information to a secure website utilizing wireless technology. Hour meter, location, cautions, load ratio, fuel consumption and maintenance alerts - to name a few of its features - are relayed to the web application for analysis. The KOMTRAX fleet monitoring system increases machine availability, reduces the risk of machine theft (compared to machines not KOMTRAX-equipped), allows for remote diagnosis by the distributor, and provides a wealth of other information to drive business efficiency and productivity.
Special features of these new crawler dozers include:
· EPA Tier 4 Interim and EU stage 3B emission certified engine Built upon proven Komatsu Tier 3 technology, the Tier 4 Interim SAA6D107E-2 engine provides the same horsepower as its predecessor while lowering fuel consumption by up to 10%. Komatsu's Tier 4 Interim engine platform uses an advanced electronic control system to manage airflow rate, fuel injection, combustion parameters, and after treatment functions to optimize performance, reduce emissions, and provide advanced diagnostic capability.
The Komatsu Diesel Particulate Filter (KDPF) has an integrated design that will not interfere with daily operation but will keep the operator aware of its status.
This smart and simplified system removes soot using "passive regeneration" the majority of the time, to minimize "active regeneration" events. For owners, this means lower fuel costs because of fewer active regeneration events as well as seamless operation for the operator.
As a leader in hydraulic technology, Komatsu has also developed a hydraulically actuated Komatsu Variable Geometry Turbocharger (KVGT) and an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve, resulting in better precision and air management as well as longer component life due to less moving parts and reduced component complexity.
· Unrivaled blade visibility and ride The steeply sloped engine hood and new forward cab design provide more room for operators while moving them closer to the blade, for improved blade visibility, ride quality and overall comfort. The cab also has an integrated ROPS / FOPS structure and is designed using large glass windows for better visibility. Internal cab air pressure and air filters minimize dust entering the cab, and viscous cab damper mounts suppress noise and vibration when traveling over rough terrain.
· New durable and productive power angle tilt (PAT) blade A newly designed PAT blade with a highly durable box structure and good curvature rolls material efficiently, to improve productivity. The new standard adjustable blade pitch allows the operator to adjust the aggressiveness of the cutting edge for varying applications. The new hydraulic blade angle toggle switch improves ease of blade operation. Enhanced provision for Topcon® is standard; only a simple bolt-on completing kit is required to make the machine Topcon® Plug N Play. Standard rear hydraulics for winch or ripper are also included for increased machine versatility.
· Next generation HST transmission and engine control technology significantly improves fuel economy Two selectable Working Modes - E and P - match machine performance to the application. E Mode is intended for all general dozing, leveling and spreading applications providing adequate speed and power while saving fuel. P Mode is intended for slot dozing, ripping, uphill dozing or other applications that require maximum power where engine power has priority over fuel consumption.
The D61-23 incorporates new proprietary engine and hydrostatic transmission pump control technology to improve operational efficiency and reduce fuel consumption to levels lower than a conventional HST control system can obtain. This Komatsu exclusive feature reduces fuel consumption by up to 10% in P mode in demanding working conditions and up to 20% in E mode under lighter load conditions as compared to the prior model.
Powerful turns under various work conditions are achieved with the new HST transmission, even under load. Counter-rotation is available for minimum turning radius, providing excellent maneuverability in tight spots.
The D61-23 offers two gearshift modes: Variable and the new Customizable Quick shift. Variable shift mode provides 20 incremental speed settings for the operator, while the new Customizable Quick shift provides 3 speed settings; all can be adjusted in the monitor to obtain the right speed for different operator preferences.
· Newly designed joystick controls for power and comfort Komatsu's ergonomically designed Palm Command Control System (PCCS) gives operators maximum control, offering a relaxed posture and superb fine control to minimize operator fatigue. Thumb push buttons simplify transmission speed setting shifts shown graphically in the monitor. The travel lever turning sensitivity can now be easily adjusted in the monitor to better match operator preferences. The new blade electro-hydraulic controls incorporate a new blade angle switch and float switch. The blade feel can also be adjusted in the monitor to best match operator preference.
· New cab design improves operator environment The new D61-23 crawler dozer's comfortable working environment allows operators to concentrate on the work at hand for increased productivity. The interior cab decibel level has been decreased to 76 dB for a quiet work environment. A comfortable standard air ride seat with heat enhances operator comfort further. A standard rear view monitoring system can be synchronized with reverse operation.
A new HST version of the large 7" high-resolution LCD color monitor in the cab displays all machine information. An easy to use tab system allows operators to select the parameters they want to see and also provides quick troubleshooting for a service technician with easy to use on-board diagnostics.
· Customer peace-of-mind is standard because of Komatsu CARE® Komatsu remains focused on lowering the customer's ownership costs by engineering machines with increased fuel efficiency and productivity. Komatsu CARE® complimentary scheduled maintenance is standard on all D61-23 crawler dozers for the earlier of 3 years or 2000 hours. Services are performed by factory certified technicians using only Komatsu genuine parts and fluids. Also included are complimentary KDPF exchanges at 4,500 hours and 9,000 hours in the first five years.
· Convenient maintenance equals reliability Recognizing that maintenance is critical for successful equipment uptime, Komatsu has designed the D61-23 with easy routine maintenance in mind. Daily engine checks are grouped at the left hand side of the engine compartment. While the rear mounted swing-up reversible electronically-controlled hydraulic fan allows for easy checking of the radiator, oil cooler and charge air cooler. A manually reversing fan allows for quick cleaning of the radiator. The D61-23 also comes standard with the Parallel Link Undercarriage System (PLUS). This rotary bushing system doubles the undercarriage life compared to prior conventional systems, significantly lowering owning and operating costs.
Note: All comparisons and claims of improved performance made herein are made with respect to the prior Komatsu model unless otherwise specifically stated.
Komatsu America Corp. is a U.S. subsidiary of Komatsu Ltd., the world's second largest manufacturer and supplier of construction and mining equipment. Komatsu America also manufacturers and supplies specialized equipment for the forestry, materials handling and numerous other industries. Through its distributor network, Komatsu offers a state-of-the-art parts and service program to support its equipment. Komatsu has been providing high-quality reliable products for nearly a century. Visit us at www.komatsuamerica.com.
KOMTRAX is a registered trademark of Komatsu Ltd.
Komatsu CARE is a trademark of Komatsu America Corp.
Don't miss the latest news!
Receive industry and products news from the market categories that matter to you most.