Ticona, a leading supplier of engineering polymers, is presenting a 2012 Best Paper Award Winner on unidirectional glass tapes during the Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE®) Automotive Composites Conference & Exhibition (ACCE) Sept. 11 to 13 at the MSU Management Education Center in Troy, Mich.
Duane Emerson, a senior applications engineer - Composites Strategic Programs Group at Ticona, will present Using Unidirectional Glass Tapes to Improve Impact Performance of Thermoplastic Composites in Automotive Applications from 8:30 to 9 a.m. on Thursday, Sept. 13, in the Advances in Thermoplastic Composites session, Amphitheater 101.
The paper describes a study conducted by Ticona that looked at methods to increase stiffness/strength and impact resistance of an automotive underbody shield (UBS) by using continuous strand, unidirectional (UD) glass-reinforced thermoplastic composite tapes to produce woven fabrics as well as tailored blank laminates. Combinations of the tape fabrics and the tape laminates in various layup patterns were then used in conjunction with charges produced in the direct-long-fiber thermoplastic (D-LFT) inline compounding (ILC) process to compression mold both test plaques and later the UBS part to determine the extent to which impact performance could be improved and to ensure cycle times were consistent with automotive production requirements.
The organizing committee for the 2012 SPE ACCE will present the top award for excellence in technical writing to Emerson during the opening ceremonies on Tuesday, Sept. 11.
Ticona also will exhibit thermoplastic solutions for composites used in light and tough components:
· Celstran® long fiber reinforced thermoplastics (LFRT) for weight reduction and parts/component integration applications
· Celstran® continuous fiber reinforced thermoplastics (CFR-TP) tapes, rods and profiles for highly stressed components
· Fortron® polyphenylene sulfide (PPS) with proven production performance in critical structural components
The Ticona portfolio of high-performance engineering polymers for automotive fuel system, electronic, energy storage, powertrain and thermal management applications, also includes:
· Factor® and Compel® LFRT
· Celanex® thermoplastic polyester (PBT)
· GUR® ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMW-PE)
· Hostaform® / Celcon® acetal copolymer (POM)
· Thermx® polycyclohexylene dimethylene terephthalate (PCT)
· Vectra® / Zenite® liquid crystal polymer (LCP)
Ticona encourages you to visit www.ticona.com/composites. Read how Ticona engineering polymers offer a spectrum of advanced properties that are helping automotive original equipment manufacturers and tier suppliers improve quality while reducing weight and lowering production costs.
DCP Press Relations
16 Hydor Drive
Castleton, NY 12033
518-479-7632 - Office
518-428-1072 - Cell