Global Operator Brings 4k Content to Subscribers in Brazil
SAO PAULO — ABTA 2014 - Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced Telefonica, one of the top global telecommunications providers with operations in Europe, Asia, North America and South America, has chosen Broadcom's HEVC-enabled system-on-chip (SoC) technology to deliver Ultra High Definition (Ultra HD) IPTV broadcasts. Telefonica is distributing Ultra HD content, including recent live broadcasts of select World Cup games, through its extensive fiber optical network and integration of Broadcom's BCM7445 and BCM7252 SoC devices for advanced compression and decoding. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
At four times the image definition currently available to consumers, Ultra HD content requires more efficient bandwidth to deliver uninterrupted 4K, 60 frame-per-second transmissions. Broadcom's high efficiency video coding (HEVC)-enabled chipsets significantly speed the transmission of 4K content, allowing operators and users to receive Ultra HD content in half the time, at 50 percent of the bit rate previously required.
"Broadcom is committed to bringing the precise, live-action images enabled by 4kp60 Ultra HD to consumers around the world," said Dan Marotta, Broadcom Executive Vice President and General Manager, Broadband & Connectivity Group. "Collaborating with Telefonica allows us to take a significant step forward in delivering Ultra HD to their Vivo TV Fibra subscribers for an exceptional live-action TV viewing experience."
"As a global telecommunications provider with more than 300 million customers and the sixth largest mobile network provider in the world, Telefonica is highly focused on providing the most advanced features to our subscribers," Rafael Sgrott Martins, Video Director, Telefonica. "As Ultra HD continues to gain momentum in Latin America, North America, Europe and beyond, our collaboration with Broadcom will play an important part in delivering the picture quality needed for the immersive viewing experience that Ultra HD provides."
Broadcom will demonstrate the BCM7445, BCM7252 and its full portfolio of HEVC-enabled SoCs at ABTA in Sao Paulo, Brazil August 5-7, 2014, Booth E12.
Key Features of the Broadcom® BCM7445 Ultra HD SoC
• Brahma15 21,000 DMIP CPU, four 1080p30 real-time transcoders and HEVC compression
• Delivers resolution up to 4096 x 2160p60
• Web domain security, an industry leading hardware security oversight to separate Internet services from premium broadcast content
• Integrated MoCA 2.0 for advanced home networking capabilities
• Simultaneously delivers four transcoded HD video streams over IP for content on any screen
Key Features of the Broadcom BCM7252 Ultra HD SoC
• High-performance dual-core Brahma15 10000 DMIP CPU
• 2180p60 or dual 1080p60 decode and transcode capabilities
• Integrated high-performance connectivity peripherals, including USB 3.0, PCIe, Gigabit Ethernet
• Enables more efficient operator content delivery for increased footprint, higher resolution or additional channels
• Enhances quality and quantity of over-the-top services deliverable through existing high-speed data pipes
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband & Cable
Web Site: http://www.broadcom.com