Company's world headquarters is first commercial interior on Long Island to achieve LEED® Certification
Melville, New York, September 30, 2010 - Leviton's global headquarters is the first commercial interior on Long Island to achieve LEED® (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) Certification. In a ceremony held at the company's Melville headquarters last night, USGBC-LI (United States Green Building Council-Long Island) Chapter Chairman Vince Capogna presented Leviton CEO Donald J. Hendler with a LEED certification plaque to recognize the building's compliance with the LEED "green building" standard.
The ceremony was held in conjunction with the USGBC-LI's monthly educational program, which focused on how the building was designed to comply with the LEED sustainability standard. Leviton worked in close collaboration with architectural partner, TPG, engineering firms Lilker Associates and Horizon Engineering, and developer The Marcus Organization, along with other area organizations to ensure certification would be granted. LEED Commercial Interior certification was awarded to the building on May 25, 2010, and Leviton executives paid tribute to key project renovation partners by also presenting them with LEED certificates.
"LEED certification is the recognized standard for measuring building sustainability," said Leviton President and CEO, Donald J. Hendler. "As a leader in sustainable solutions it's important we serve as good environmental stewards. We only have one earth. Achieving this certification underlies our commitment to sustainability by setting an example through our actions, operating principles and deeds."
The LEED green building rating system, developed and administered by the USGBC, a Washington D.C. based coalition of building industry leaders, promotes design and construction practices that reduce the negative environmental impact of commercial facilities' operations by improving occupant health and well-being.The LEED standard was designed with the goal of improving performance across various categories of building construction and operation, including energy savings, water efficiency, CO2 emissions reduction, improved indoor environmental quality, and stewardship of resources and sensitivity to their impacts.
Leviton's Melville facility meets LEED Certification by achieving the following criteria:
· Site Sustainability:Location in population-dense area near mass transportation, shops, banks, airports and highways. Employees who carpool or own hybrid vehicles receive preferential parking.
· Water Efficiency: Low-flow sinks and toilets in rest rooms save 30% over standard fixtures.
· Energy and Atmosphere: Leviton's daylight harvesting system, dimming panels, relay panels, scene dimming system and commercial occupancy sensors reduce lighting energy consumption and carbon footprint. The facility is also outfitted with energy-efficient light fixtures and bulbs, Energy-Star® rated appliances, an efficient HVAC system, fire-safety, security and other building systems to further conserve electricity.
· Materials and Resources: Recycling bins are located in utility kitchens and the lower level café. Building materials, carpeting and ceiling materials are made from recycled content. The Styrofoam-free cafeteria uses washable china and flatware. Hand dryers in bathrooms reduce use of paper products. 20% of building materials were sourced from recycled materials and 50% of construction debris was recycled.
· Indoor Air Quality: An enforced no smoking policy and the use of low-volatile organic components (VOCs) and low-emitting materials, adhesives, sealants, paints, coating, wood and furniture throughout building keep air quality levels safe.
· Innovation in Design: Ergonomic workstations and other design features and elementspromote a healthy, comfortable, productive work environment.
Leviton is a global leader in electrical wiring devices, data center connectivity solutions and lighting energy management systems. A member of the USGBC (United States Green Building Council), Leviton was founded at the turn of the 20th century, and has grown to become a preeminent leader in the industry. Today Leviton's product portfolio consists of over 25,000 devices and systems used in homes, businesses and industry. Nine out of ten buildings and homes throughout North America use products made by Leviton and builders, electrical contractors and other industry professionals rank Leviton products #1 in brand preference. Leviton products are the smart choice for smart professionals. For more information contact Leviton Manufacturing or visit leviton.com.