The Anatomy of a Solar Panel
Recently recognized as a leading solar patent producer by the Clean Energy Patent Growth Index, DuPont has been granted nearly 200 patents worldwide for solar innovations since 2008, with over 1300 patent applications pending.
SHANGHAI – DuPont Photovoltaic Solutions (DuPont) will highlight growth, innovation and collaboration in the solar industry at SNEC 2013, the largest global solar power exposition at the Shanghai New International Expo Center, China, May 14 – 16. Through its exhibit and a range of key speaking engagements, the company will highlight how materials can impact growth in the China solar market by improving the output power and durability of solar panels, lowering overall system costs.
The DuPont booth #W4-558 will feature solar panels from China Power Investment (CPI) and GD Solar made with advanced materials from DuPont. The full range of DuPont materials enabling improved efficiency and lifetime for solar panels will be highlighted, including:
• DuPont™ Solamet® PV18x series frontside silver photovoltaic metallization pastes, that have been shown to deliver solar cell conversion efficiencies beyond 19.3 percent.
• DuPont™ Tedlar® polyvinyl fluoride (PVF) films that provide 30 years of proven durability and reliability for solar panels exposed to the harshest outdoor conditions.
• DuPont ionomer encapsulants that have proven durability and resistance to Potential Induced Degradation (PID), a well-known cause of solar panel failure.
• New e-Frame integrated polymer module frames for rooftop solar panels that are easy to assemble, quick to install and weigh up to 20 percent less using the balanced toughness and stiffness of DuPont™ Zytel® nylon and excellent ultraviolet stability of DuPont™ Rynite® polyethylene terephthalate (PET) for improved durability.
• DuPont™ Kapton® polyimide films for flexible solar panels.
• Advanced materials for solar inverters and energy storage.
"DuPont has some exciting new innovations and insights to share at SNEC about why materials matter to the success of the solar industry," said William Feehery, global business director, DuPont Photovoltaic Solutions. "We also look forward to strengthening key collaborations with our China-based and global customers as this market continues to grow."
DuPont representatives also will participate in a range of leadership and technical forums during the week on the following topics:
• Solar Leaders Dialogue: The Sustainable Development of the Photovoltaic Industry, May 13, with panelist Walt Cheng.
• 2nd Global PV Financial Summit 2013: The Growing Importance of Cutting Edge Quality and Risk Management, May 15, features panelist Conrad Burke.
• OFweek Solar PV Seminar 2013: Advanced Solar Cell Technology, May 15, presented by Homer Antoniadis.
• Achieving High Solar Cell Efficiency with Advanced Metallization Materials and Enhanced Lightly Doped Emitter (LDE) Processes, May 15, presented by Alex Wu.
• Comparison of Key PV Backsheet and Module Properties from Fielded Exposure and Accelerated Testing, May 16, presented by Oakland Fu.
• Avoiding Potential Induced Degradation (PID), May 16, presented by Alison Bennett.
DuPont Photovoltaic Solutions is the leading global supplier of specialty materials to the photovoltaic industry. To learn more, please visit http://photovoltaics.dupont.com.
DuPont (NYSE: DD) has been bringing world-class science and engineering to the global marketplace in the form of innovative products, materials, and services since 1802. The company believes that by collaborating with customers, governments, NGOs, and thought leaders we can help find solutions to such global challenges as providing enough healthy food for people everywhere, decreasing dependence on fossil fuels, and protecting life and the environment. For additional information about DuPont and its commitment to inclusive innovation, please visit http://www.dupont.com.
The DuPont Oval Logo, DuPont™, The miracles of science™, Solamet®, Tedlar®, Zytel®, Rynite® and Kapton® are registered trademarks or trademarks of DuPont or its affiliates.
E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company, Inc, 1007 Market Street, Wilmington, DE 19898 United States